PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 PT Cruiser Help

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2016, 11:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 PT Cruiser Help

Hello, I purchased a 2007 PT Cruiser Base Automatic with 60,000 miles last year. The car didn't come with maintenance records unfortunately. The dealer from whom i bought the car suggested his personal mechanic.

I did get an oil change (synthetic) new filter, air filter, new rotors and brake pads, and a new battery. Initially i wasn't driving the car much (30 miles a month and so i wasn't too worried about the maintenance. As i've begun to drive the car more (32 mile commute everyday), issues have started showing up such as squeals, vibrating noise when coasting at low speeds. Screeching when reversing with your foot lightly on the brake. The car also jumps going over potholes or bumps. There is also a thud on the driver side when braking. The car seems weak and bumpy. The new brake pads have also caused issues such as screeching, squeaking and vibration.

I have two questions, I've looked over the maintenance schedule, from where would you suggest starting. The car was a 2-owner car, the first owner had routine maintenance performed according to the carfax at a chrysler dealer. She sold the car at 20,000 miles. The second owner has no records and from what i can tell didn't do anything.

My mechanic is a great honest guy but he seems confused by the PT Cruiser. I had too go twice for the brake pads as he didn't install the caliper clips. The AC on at idle (red light) causes the RPM's to drop and the car to shake violently, I checked the fan following the forums advice and it was working. I asked the mechanic and he said the AC was fine. I've mentioned the above issues and he said the car is fine and to keep driving. I don't want to go to a Chrysler dealer, if any of you guys/gals are in the Queens NY area, do you have any suggestions for a mechanic who is a good person and knows the pt cruiser.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04 Dec 2016, 12:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT Cruiser Help

The PT changed quite a bit in 2006, but I believe what I will say is still true:
With the car idling, switch on the A/C and watch the tachometer - when the A/C switches on, the tach should go up a bit - if it doesn't, the IAC (Idle Air Controller) could be sticking. It can be taken out and cleaned.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2016, 02:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you try with the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C and see if the radiator fan comes on automatically.
Old 04 Dec 2016, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The shaking of the engine, check your motor mounts. One or two could be broken and need replacing if the IAC cleaning doesn't help. Check the spark plugs. They should be changed with the OEM Champion Copper plugs every 30,000 miles. A bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner in the gas tank won't hurt and may help. The clunking and thumping on the front end is probably suspension related bushings worn out. Lower control arm bushings are weak on the PT's. Sway bar bushings and end links can also cause thumping and bumping. And I think you need to find a COMPETENT mechanic. Even though yours is a nice guy, that doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. If he failed to install brake clips, then I wouldn't take a skateboard to him. IMHO

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Dec 2016, 07:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
The PT changed quite a bit in 2006, but I believe what I will say is still true:
With the car idling, switch on the A/C and watch the tachometer - when the A/C switches on, the tach should go up a bit - if it doesn't, the IAC (Idle Air Controller) could be sticking. It can be taken out and cleaned.
The IAC can't be cleaned in the G2's 2006-2010...only replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonboy View Post
Hello, I purchased a 2007 PT Cruiser Base Automatic with 60,000 miles last year. The car didn't come with maintenance records unfortunately. The dealer from whom i bought the car suggested his personal mechanic.

I did get an oil change (synthetic) new filter, air filter, new rotors and brake pads, and a new battery. Initially i wasn't driving the car much (30 miles a month and so i wasn't too worried about the maintenance. As i've begun to drive the car more (32 mile commute everyday), issues have started showing up such as squeals, vibrating noise when coasting at low speeds. Screeching when reversing with your foot lightly on the brake. The car also jumps going over potholes or bumps. There is also a thud on the driver side when braking. The car seems weak and bumpy. The new brake pads have also caused issues such as screeching, squeaking and vibration.

I have two questions, I've looked over the maintenance schedule, from where would you suggest starting. The car was a 2-owner car, the first owner had routine maintenance performed according to the carfax at a chrysler dealer. She sold the car at 20,000 miles. The second owner has no records and from what i can tell didn't do anything.

My mechanic is a great honest guy but he seems confused by the PT Cruiser. I had too go twice for the brake pads as he didn't install the caliper clips. The AC on at idle (red light) causes the RPM's to drop and the car to shake violently, I checked the fan following the forums advice and it was working. I asked the mechanic and he said the AC was fine. I've mentioned the above issues and he said the car is fine and to keep driving. I don't want to go to a Chrysler dealer, if any of you guys/gals are in the Queens NY area, do you have any suggestions for a mechanic who is a good person and knows the pt cruiser.

Thanks in advance!
Your PT is an N/A, there are no advantages to using synthetic, but it won't hurt anything.

Check your radiator & overflow tank fluids.
Double check the fan again...
With the car cold start engine & turn on A/C, fan should come on.
Shut A/C off let car get to temp...about 1/2 on the temp gauge around 208*...the fan should come back on.

Post back with your results.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 04 Dec 2016, 07:53 am
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 15 Dec 2016, 11:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had my pt cruiser air condition serviced. Next thing you know it was this violent shake. I spent hours upon hours researching the fans for the pt. Trying to figure out what was causing this violent shake.

I had 3 mechanics that said the fan was good. 1 said the fan had problems but wasn't sure. Found out from this forum that my fan had two speeds and I realized 1 speed wasn't working while ac was working. The fan was spinning when you looked but the second speed wasn't working.

My boyfriend who's not a mechanic changed the fan, turned on ac and no violent shake. It wasn't had to do with the Rhinoramps from Walmart and socket wrench.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 05:24 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonna_21 View Post
I had my pt cruiser air condition serviced. Next thing you know it was this violent shake. I spent hours upon hours researching the fans for the pt. Trying to figure out what was causing this violent shake.

I had 3 mechanics that said the fan was good. 1 said the fan had problems but wasn't sure. Found out from this forum that my fan had two speeds and I realized 1 speed wasn't working while ac was working. The fan was spinning when you looked but the second speed wasn't working.

My boyfriend who's not a mechanic changed the fan, turned on ac and no violent shake. It wasn't had to do with the Rhinoramps from Walmart and socket wrench.
What kind of shops did these mechanics work at? Seems to me that at least one of them could/should have found the defective fan.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!
Old 19 Dec 2016, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, I believe it's the IAC. The fan seems to be working at least from the noise I could hear. I couldn't see it very well.

The RPM's drop when I turn the AC on and right before the shakes at idle.

I'm gonna wait until the warmer months to get the IAC replaced. It's winter here in NY and I don't want to spend additional money right know.

I do have another problem, my car's always had a sweet smell in it in the morning. I turned on the heater yesterday and today while driving and there was the smell of coolant coming. I also noticed the edge of my windshield fogging up.

I got to my garage and looked at the spot where my car was parked and there was drops of pink/red liquid in a square/rectangle pattern. I have no leaks and the coolant level looks stable. I also haven't had the wet carpet issue. I did have some sort of white and black fluid in the clear plastic bottle. My mechanic opened up the metal cap and the fluid was pink and clear. He said the white and black stuff was from parking in the street during the winter.

I plan on taking the car to a new mechanic tomorrow but from researching it looks like its the heater core.

Is that probably right and is there any problem in using the car without heat. I'm a grad student who won't be able to afford the $800-1000 for the fix.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 08:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: 2007 PT Cruiser Help

Maybe this could be your issue with your cooling fan vibration.