PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Base upgrade quest

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2016, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Base upgrade quest

Hello all, I am sure this has been discussed here before. I'll be danged if I can find any solid info on a few items.
1st- My 05 base does not have pivoting rear hatch handle nor does it seem to have the notorious hidden switch. Are there base models that are strictly manual key operated rear hatch's? If so how hard would it be to convert it to a button or lift handle version. It is rediculous to shut down and get out to open the latch.
2nd- does anyone know if the harness is present in the door panels to add power. it seems as though it is hit and miss for harnesses. fog light plugs are there and ready, cruise plug is there. map light and lighted visors had to be pulled from u-pull-it.

Any help or direction would be grand.

by the way, added a 2001 limited to the driveway for the wife.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 08 Dec 2016, 11:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Base upgrade quest

I am not positive, but I thought even base had the switch hatch lock. It ought to unlock with the rocker switch in the door. There are posts here where the switch has "died" on some people.
Power for what in the doors?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Dec 2016, 12:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

no power locks in vehicle, no RKE. power in the doors to add power locks. it is a dealer upgrade so I was hoping for the harness to be there.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 09:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Somebody has to know that answer to this. I guess my other option would be to buy an aftermarket universal kit of some sort and a trunk popper from ebay or something.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 11:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

"sanatanadharma" can help you out...whenever he sees this thread.
ptprice likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 10 Dec 2016, 12:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
"sanatanadharma" can help you out...whenever he sees this thread.
excellent, thank you
Old 10 Dec 2016, 09:26 am
Dedicated Cruiser

You might consider your missing remote control system a blessing. It's fine for the doors but the pressure switch in the rear hatch handle is the weak link;. It's prone to failing and burning out that dedicated segment of the Remote Keyless Entry Module. Replacing that Module, the rear hatch handle and switch and having Chrysler reconfigure the new module put me back about $250. It'd been a lot more if I hadn't done the installation. Even though it means you have to walk back to the rear hatch to open it, your going to be back there anyway to take out the groceries. That's the way we did it in the olden days!

LionPT is right though, if anyone in the Forum can guide and advise you it's santanadharma. He wrote the book on what the rest of don't know about PTs!

I've attached a thread copy of what I did to just replace my stuff on SOOO BIG. I couldn't find the photos referred to in the copy of the thread. They're buried deep and inaccessible some where in my computer.

Suffice to say, you'll be getting into the innards of the dash and the rear hatch. Not a biggy, just time consuming.

I restored and rodded a 41 Ford Coupe that I decided had to have pop open trunk and doors. I had a good reason though, I'd shaved the trunk, doors and hood. 41 Ford a-la-mode! Good Luck.

Happy PTin', ptprice

Image.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 11:19 am
Young Cruiser

hi , I also have a base 2005 with exactly what you have. i have to use the key to lock/unlock the trunk. so far the only thing i could do was to get the lock assy from a 2006 /up from a wrecking yard and wire it to a switch under the dash . this way i have to hold the button and my wife lifts the trunk at the same time. by myself i still have to use the key. i also installed the pressure switch too but haven't figured out how to make it work so far. 2) in our 2005 the only wire plug connectors are for cruise and fog lights. there was nothing else as Chrysler discontinued things every year. . i installed aftermarket power remote door locks myself. i scoured the wrecking yards a lot and now have heated electric swivel mirrors , heated power leather (thanks to mel) seats, overhead compass assy. and vanity mirrors. lots of work but it keeps me out of my wife's hair! jim hoysa
Old 14 Dec 2016, 12:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

So far on the 05 I have added both 12v power ports, map/compass, lit vanity mirrors, Aftermarket stereo, back up cam, Headrest monitors, oh and I changed cluster lights and hvac controls to ice blue leds. currently working on fogs (have to get the harness I guess) Already installed new MFS and the lights themselves, plugged into supplied harness. missing the interior harness, I have no backside terminals going into fuse block at #8.

On the wifes 01 limited, I am working on the lock issue. I think I have narrowed it down to the switch located on the driver door key cylinder ( can't find a part number or even a pic of it). Also getting ready to change her MFS due to fogs not coming on. no power at bulb end, no cluster indicator, power across the fuse is good.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 01:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

For fogs, unless you run to a new switch for power...you will have to go to the Dealer to get computer flashed to turn them on.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost