PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Odd fluid in passenger floorboard

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2016, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Odd fluid in passenger floorboard

So I blew an engine in my old car and had to buy something real fast. Found a 2004 PT with only 75,000 miles on it for $1800. While trying to figure out how to open the hatch I noticed a wet oily (fluid) in the rear passenger floorboard. It wasn't water, it felt like some kind of fluid like someone spilled half a gallon of oil or something. I mopped it up and find more and more of it back there.
Any idea what it could be?... I'm wondering if i spent $1,799 too much for this thing... the horn doesn't work, you have to pull the bumper to replace a headlamp, and the hatch doesn't open...
Old 09 Dec 2016, 08:41 pm
Banned

Default Re: Odd fluid in passenger floorboard

Welcome to the forum

I don't want to be too critical on your first few posts, but where did you find your PT, from a dealership or private party? Either way, you should have discovered all these items while examining it before the purchase.

Get ready for another kicker, but you're probably facing $1000 to replace the timing belt, water pump and other components, soon.

Last edited by rckstein; 09 Dec 2016 at 08:43 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum

I don't want to be too critical on your first few posts, but where did you find your PT, from a dealership or private party? Either way, you should have discovered all these items while examining it before the purchase.

Get ready for another kicker, but you're probably facing $1000 to replace the timing belt, water pump and other components, soon.
Appreciate the reply - bought it from a guy at work - I was car-less and had to make a decision and took it for a spin on a freezing cold day - really wasn't thinking I had to press my hand against the floorboard for leaks... I just can't figure out how any of this makes sense as the wet is in the rear passenger side floorboard, the front and driver side rear is totally fine. The car cranked, drove fine, and had heat... I was smitten.
Gkon likes this.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 10:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If there isn't a sunroof, chances are it is a heater leak and it ran to the rear - perhaps car was parked on a hill?
If there's a sunroof, drain tube could be plugged.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Dec 2016, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
If there isn't a sunroof, chances are it is a heater leak and it ran to the rear - perhaps car was parked on a hill?
If there's a sunroof, drain tube could be plugged.
No sunroof, guy claims he left the window cracked and some rain got in but the fluid is slimy, like oily... plus I took a towel and mopped it up yesterday and today you can push your finger down onto the carpet and the goo ooozes up again. After discovering how difficult it is to even change the battery in these things I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would own one.

I'm gonna mop it up again tonight.

I mean for cryin out loud what kind of design would have oil-fluid running from the engine all the way back to the passenger rear seat area.. doesn't make sense... I'm praying ( is there a god?? ) that he spilled some oil or some coolant back there and doesn't want to own up to it and it's just rain-water turning it into slimy goo.

I shoulda bought the toyota... I shoulda bought the toyota... I shoulda....

Anybody want a 2004 PT Cruizer with flame paint job and 75,000 miles on it?
Old 09 Dec 2016, 11:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check your fluid levels and see if they are normal and go from there. For future reference, it should only take 5-10 minutes to change a battery in one of these.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
Check your fluid levels and see if they are normal and go from there. For future reference, it should only take 5-10 minutes to change a battery in one of these.
Good idea first things first before I get my panties in a bunch. I think I confused the battery change with the headlamp change. The lights are fine but the plastic coverings are awful.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 12:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLUZER View Post
So I blew an engine in my old car and had to buy something real fast. Found a 2004 PT with only 75,000 miles on it for $1800. While trying to figure out how to open the hatch I noticed a wet oily (fluid) in the rear passenger floorboard. It wasn't water, it felt like some kind of fluid like someone spilled half a gallon of oil or something. I mopped it up and find more and more of it back there.
Any idea what it could be?... I'm wondering if i spent $1,799 too much for this thing... the horn doesn't work, you have to pull the bumper to replace a headlamp, and the hatch doesn't open...
"Oily fluid" in the right rear floorboard is most likely orange Duracool antifreeze. And if so, it's from your heat core.

There's some additives you can try to stop it. There's a recent thread where someone got lucky with it. The alternative is to either change the heater core which is a big job, or just bypass the heater core by making a loop in the heater hoses. Of course, that will leave you very cold this winter unless you live pretty far down south.

If me, I'd clean up the mess and then see if it returns. If it does and especially if the newly wet carpet is warm after driving, then it's likely antifreeze.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
"Oily fluid" in the right rear floorboard is most likely orange Duracool antifreeze. And if so, it's from your heat core.

There's some additives you can try to stop it. There's a recent thread where someone got lucky with it. The alternative is to either change the heater core which is a big job, or just bypass the heater core by making a loop in the heater hoses. Of course, that will leave you very cold this winter unless you live pretty far down south.

If me, I'd clean up the mess and then see if it returns. If it does and especially if the newly wet carpet is warm after driving, then it's likely antifreeze.
I must say thanks for the responses and suggestions. If it's the heater core issue I should see steady decline in the antifreeze fill tank.

Understand the function of this car is to get me to work ( 7 miles ) and home ( 7 miles ) every day with occasional jaunts to Walmart ( 2 miles ). That's it.

So... let's say it's this heater core issue, and I have to fill some anti freeze say twice a month... and the back is wet... otherwise do I care?

Oh, and I do live in the deep south and it's going to be 22 degrees tonight...

But I don't care about it that much as my old car didn't have heat either.
If I don't run the heater will the leaking stop?

I need to get 6 months out of this heap before I sell everything and move, is that feasible? I've got all of $1800 in this thing which is throw-away money if i can get 6 months out of it.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd yank the seats out. Then I'd pull the carpet out and see what's under it. BUT, I'm not a mechanic. I have just managed to keep all of my own cars going for the past 45 years. I don't let other people work on my stuff. As for your headlights, for SOME improvement and very little money, get some baking soda and water and make a paste. Wet your headlights and put the paste on there and scrub them with a wet rag. Rinse the paste off. You'll see a marked improvement, I guarantee it. Then you can do it again a few more times and seal them with some Meguiars Plast-X.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.