PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shaking while idle and harder to go up hills

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2016, 11:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Shaking while idle and harder to go up hills

I was wondering if it is normal for a pt cruiser have to push the gas pedal harder to build up some speed to go up a hill. A lot of times I noticed a lot of cars going much faster than me up hills. I just had the timing, tension, cam, water pump (bought everything with timing job) and spark plug wires and spark plugs. I thought fixing the timing would help with this issue. Is there a way check and see if he did the job correctly with the tension of timing. It runs great but doesn't seem to have much speed. You have to build up speed. Also, when it idles it's shaking. Any idea of what could be causing this? I asked the mechanic and he told me the type of gas I was putting in? Didn't sound right but changed gas and no improvement.

Also, when the mechanic changed the spark plugs, there was oil in them. Was this normal? Will I have oil in my new spark plugs.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 07:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Shaking while idle and harder to go up hills

Get your catalytic converter checked.
chuzz likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 16 Dec 2016, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Lion about the cat con. Especially if you have over 100,000 miles on the car or do a lot of short trip, stop and go driving.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonna_21 View Post
I was wondering if it is normal for a pt cruiser have to push the gas pedal harder to build up some speed to go up a hill. A lot of times I noticed a lot of cars going much faster than me up hills. I just had the timing, tension, cam, water pump (bought everything with timing job) and spark plug wires and spark plugs. I thought fixing the timing would help with this issue. Is there a way check and see if he did the job correctly with the tension of timing. It runs great but doesn't seem to have much speed. You have to build up speed. Also, when it idles it's shaking. Any idea of what could be causing this? I asked the mechanic and he told me the type of gas I was putting in? Didn't sound right but changed gas and no improvement.

Also, when the mechanic changed the spark plugs, there was oil in them. Was this normal? Will I have oil in my new spark plugs.
Was it shaking at an idle before replacing the timing belt?
VsandFords and rob302 like this.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 05:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

The oil in the plugs that you are referring to, is probably from bad seals on the valve cover that seal around the spark plugs. If you haven't replaced the valve cover gasket and these seals, then yes, you will have oil in your plugs again. When I say "in your plugs" I am meaning down in the well around the spark plug.

I also would ask if it was idling rough before the TB replacement. If not, then it could be a tooth of and this could cause rough idle and loss of power. The other option that I am thinking is low compression. Maybe a compression test is needed.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 19 Dec 2016, 02:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it was doing this before timing
Old 19 Dec 2016, 07:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The throttle body might need cleaning and did your "mechanic" check the PCV valve? If you don't want to pay someone to clean the throttle body, you can get a can of throttle body cleaner and do it yourself. It's not that difficult. And get yourself a bottle of Techron Fuel Injector cleaner at your local Walmart and put the entire bottle in the gas tank. It might help and sure as heck won't hurt it any. A LOT of us here use the Techron on a regular basis.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Will definitely try this and see how it works.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had a similar problem after replacing the pcv valve and cleaning the throttle body so I added a can of Berryman's B-12 with a fresh tank of Sunoco 93 octane and took it out on a long lightly used, straight road and ran it pretty hard. After about 25 miles or so I stopped for lunch and when I headed back she ran so much better and no hesitation. I have been running the better Sunoco 93 since and it has really made an improvement. Still have a rough idle but I'm going to replace the valve cover gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets and vacuum lines, then I'll see where that leaves me. Good luck

Last edited by War_Eagle; 20 Dec 2016 at 10:37 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 10:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Shaking while idle and harder to go up hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
I had a similar problem after replacing the pcv valve and cleaning the throttle body so I added a can of Berryman's B-12 with a fresh tank of Sunoco 93 octane and took it out on a long lightly used, straight road and ran it pretty hard. After about 25 miles or so I stopped for lunch and when I headed back she ran so much better and no hesitation. I have been running the better Sunoco 93 since and it has really made an improvement. Still have a rough idle but I'm going to replace the valve cover gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets and vacuum lines, then I'll see where that leaves me. Good luck
War_Eagle,

Just out of curiosity have you ever hooked up a code reader to your Pt since you started having the rough idle you describe in the above quote? It might shed some more light on the situation you are having.