Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By NitroPT
  • 3 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2016, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default The 5 Ways People Ruin Their PT Cruisers/Cars in general

This article definitely applies to all types of cars/owners...and PT Cruiser owners thinking about modding up their PTs.

The 5 Ways People Ruin Their Cars - The Drive

My personal favorite is #5

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Dec 2016, 01:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: The 5 Ways People Ruin Their PT Cruisers/Cars in general

All valid points, Nitro, but I do have to agree that #5 seems to be the most important!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 02:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Definitely a good, and fun read. Thanks.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
All valid points, Nitro, but I do have to agree that #5 seems to be the most important!
Ya. HA!

Its funny when I use to frequent the 1/4 mile track I could make a fast buck working on making someones ride quicker for the next run. At road tracks I just say I can make you car faster around the track, when they get interested in the offer I than say let me drive!

We (mostly Men) think that driving is in our genes given to us by GOD!. I learned very early in life it ain't so.

My improvements in driving have come solely from attending several Driving schools primarily Bondurant in the 80's and 90's, a few other smaller schools later on and also a Tactical and defensive driving class that benefited my security business I owned once which carried over when I part timed driving strectchies.
I also wanted to improve my Crochrocket skills on local road tracks (Mazda Raceway, Sear point and thunder Hill) so did a couple of classes for that as well. You would be surprised how much faster you can ride with a class or two.

These experiences have stuck with me and I use what I learned everyday of my life now when I drive both on and off the track.

My advise is if anyone mods a vehicle for improved handling or power output invest in a 100-300 dollars in a weekend driving school and really learn to drive!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Dec 2016, 05:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i must be thick headed..

#1 imbalanced modifications-
i disagree with the need for bigger brakes. if you aren't on a track, and you know when it's safe to play, what's the point? i'm not rich and i have a need for acceleration and traction. this is a corner worth cutting, IMO. imbalanced, but respectfully imbalanced to my liking. besides everybody i know that would brag about carving corners eventually found one with their name on it.

#2 turning a reliable car into an unreliable car-
what happened to "if ya aint breaking parts ya aint going fast enough" ? this guy implies that someones FORD FIESTA has 300hp and they are on their 3rd trans this year. what kind of car enthusiast builds a fiesta?
i just blew up my trans do to abuse and the solution for me is stronger gears and a softer clutch, not less power. will the rear end fail next? maybe, but who cares? parts that fail in spectacular fashion make great trophies.

#5 not modifying the driver-
if i'm building a car to make ME happy, not a time clock. while the professional driver will go faster from point A to point B, i'll be doing it just a little bit slower with a much bigger grin on my face... and if it really bugs me i'm slower than something i'll just go back up to #1 and add more acceleration and traction.

rcktpwrd likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 19 Dec 2016 at 05:11 pm.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

1. By far, the most common way folks ruin their car is by taking it to a really terrible mechanic that either screws the car up and/or tell the owner that it will take thousands of dollars to fix it.

2. And here's number two that is specific to the PT Cruiser. When the radiator fan fails and the engine overheats, the owner is then likely to continue adding coolant and driving the car until it overheats a few more times and looses compression. Or the owner takes the car to a bad mechanic as in the first scenario and gets a quote for repair that is more than the value of the car.