PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser Key programming not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2016, 12:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser Key programming not working

Hello,

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring 4 Door. I found the thread on programming keys for a PT Cruiser and tried the instructions with two good keys to add the third but it didn't work. Put the first good key in turn to on and wait 5 seconds then put second good key in (within 15 seconds) turn to on and wait for alarm light to flash and 1 ding. However, the light never flashes and no ding. Both keys are good and work to start the car and open doors etc. I have a third that is cut to fit with the same part number but I can't get it to program for the doors or the immobilizer.

My manual shows that the key programming procedure should work but neither the immobilizer (skim) programming nor the FOB door method seem to work even though both keys are good. The manual shows that to program the FOB I put a good key in turn to ON then hold unlock for 4 seconds ADD panic for 1 second and release then wait for ding. No ding tried both keys. I'm sure I have the ignition in the ON position but also tried all of the above in the IGN (first click) position as well as with the car running and none work. Also tried variations of time lengths both shorter and longer.

One forum I read said that if the car had undergone the ignition recall it couldn't be user programmed anymore. Is this the problem? I'm the second owner and I don't know if it ever went in for the recall. this wouldn't be a problem but one of my existing keys has seen better days and is falling apart.

I've done a lot of work on this thing (fan replacement, cam sensor, crank sensor, timing belt, engine mount) but now it's starting to get the better of me!

Thanks,
Rob
Old 20 Dec 2016, 07:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Key programming not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayl0rr View Post
Hello,

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring 4 Door. I found the thread on programming keys for a PT Cruiser and tried the instructions with two good keys to add the third but it didn't work. Put the first good key in turn to on and wait 5 seconds then put second good key in (within 15 seconds) turn to on and wait for alarm light to flash and 1 ding. However, the light never flashes and no ding. Both keys are good and work to start the car and open doors etc. I have a third that is cut to fit with the same part number but I can't get it to program for the doors or the immobilizer.

My manual shows that the key programming procedure should work but neither the immobilizer (skim) programming nor the FOB door method seem to work even though both keys are good. The manual shows that to program the FOB I put a good key in turn to ON then hold unlock for 4 seconds ADD panic for 1 second and release then wait for ding. No ding tried both keys. I'm sure I have the ignition in the ON position but also tried all of the above in the IGN (first click) position as well as with the car running and none work. Also tried variations of time lengths both shorter and longer.

One forum I read said that if the car had undergone the ignition recall it couldn't be user programmed anymore. Is this the problem? I'm the second owner and I don't know if it ever went in for the recall. this wouldn't be a problem but one of my existing keys has seen better days and is falling apart.

I've done a lot of work on this thing (fan replacement, cam sensor, crank sensor, timing belt, engine mount) but now it's starting to get the better of me!

Thanks,
Rob
ON is the 2nd click when all the dash lights come on.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Dec 2016, 07:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

What Lion said. Click one is accessory position. Click it twice and you'll see all of the lights come on in the speedo cluster. That's when you program your keys. Try that and please come back and let us know whether or not you get that third key programmed.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 07:23 am
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 20 Dec 2016, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 11:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 20 Dec 2016, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tried both key positions. I tried ON first as listed in the manual (second click, dash lights on), when that didn't work I tried the first click also tried same sequence with engine running, door open, door closed. I watched YouTube videos of the procedure and it's just not working. There is a sticker on the computer that says software updated.

If I rapidly cycle both good keys the alarm light will flash rapidly but it will not ding and perform the sequence in the manual. I also pulled the fuse under the hood to reset the system actually disconnected the battery because online says fuse 10 but that doesn't seem to be the right one.

It won't program the FOB either so I'm leaning toward the idea that the software update disables self programming for both. I've programmed keys for two other vehicles with no problems and I even took a stopwatch with me so I could try different time lengths.

Thanks for the help though.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If one of your keys was cloned from the other. You won't be able to do these procedures. On the fob key combo. The chip for the key recognition is on the fob pcb. So if one is a clone. Then fob and key are both cloned. anybody else got anything else?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Dec 2016, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know if one key is a clone of the other but that would also explain what's going on with the immobilizer if it thinks both keys are the same but that doesn't explain why the door programming procedure doesn't work as listed in the manual. That only requires one key to enter programming mode according to the manual.

It doesn't sound like anyone here has heard about the updated software? Regardless either way it sounds like I need a dealer to get another key. I'm not looking forward to $$$ for a ten minute job. Maybe they'll take pity on me?

Thanks for the help
Old 20 Dec 2016, 10:25 pm
Banned

I have an '06 PT and I can't find anything about an ignition switch recall. Can you post a pic of the sticker on the computer that you found that indicates some kind of an update? Thanks.