PT Cruiser Forum  
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

What to do with my beloved PT?

 
Like Tree24Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having with your PT. Mine is 2 years older and with about 35,000 more miles, but everything works on my PT, it's never been in an accident, and I plan on enjoying it for at least another 5 years, or longer.

Have you had the timing belt work done on yours yet? If not, it should have been done around the 100,000 mile mark and you're facing about a $1000-$1500 bill to fix that and related components.

Although I hate to see any vehicle go to the scrap yard, I don't think that the PT is any more problematic than any other vehicle. I think all vehicles have their quirks, the key is to stay on top of things, and do some preventative maintenance before things break. But I wish you luck on whatever you choose.

Sorry, just figuring out how to respond to replies. Yes, we did get a new timing belt a couple of years ago, so that should be good. I have gotten some good suggestions so far which I'm going to have my husband thoroughly check out, so hopefully I'll get to hang on to Flame for a few more years!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 04:51 pm
Vengence's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 170
Cool Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTtreegirl View Post
Thank you! I'll have my hub look at the gauge. So what did you have to do to get your AC and heater fixed - or were you able to?
I sold the car before I was able to get it fixed. The issues that were explained to me for the Heat was 1. Radiator Flush 2. Replace Thermostat 3. Replace Heater Core. Total Cost was about $1,200 which was $200 more than what the car was worth so, I decided to sell it as is. From that I bought my 2008 PT LX 2 weeks ago.

The A/C I did not replace as I don't really use it anyways. But, I needed to get a whole new A/C unit because the one in my car was shot due to an accident before I bought the car.

In my personsal opinion, I would not get a new car or replace the Cruiser until the cost of repair is beyond what the car is worth. 2k for repairs to have the PT go for another 20k or many more miles seems worth it in my opinion.

Aslo, with the guage, Let the car warm up first. Drive it for about 10 miles until the car is warmed up. Then look at the gauge. Then let the car sit for a few minutes at idle to see if you notice the Temp gauge change at all. I'll post an example in a few minutes.
__________________
2008 PT Cruiser LX Inferno Red vengence991@gmail.

Last edited by Vengence; 02 Jan 2017 at 04:55 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 04:52 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 6,447
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Did the a/c work properly before the timing belt was changed? Part of that work involves discharging the a/c system and disconnecting the lines, then reconnecting and charging the system again. Did the a/c work properly when you got the vehicle back from that service? Was the water pump replaced at the same time as the timing belt replaced?
__________________

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
139K Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '83 - '93
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
Honestly, In my opinion, If it only has 105k miles on it and the A/C and Heater are the only things wrong with it, I would get them repaired. As for what could be wrong with them.

A/C-
1. Could be the A/C unit itself.
2. A/C compressor which runs with the Belt.

Heater-
1. May need new Radiator.
2. Radiator Flush
3. Heater Core

These are to my knowledge but I am sure others have other suggestions. If you repaired/replaced those, I think you would get more than 20k miles with it. Hell, I'd say maybe more than 50-75k. PT's have been a reliable car in my opinion and this 08 LX I just bought a couple weeks ago is now my 4th PT Cruiser. I had a 2001 Limited which died last year. and 09 GT that was Totaled, and 09 LX that I modified like crazy for my hobby at the time and now this 08 LX model.
Thanks! I've gotten a good suggestion re the AC, so I'm hoping that solves the problem. As for the heater, I think they checked the radiator and said it was OK (although it still had a leak - in the overflow section underneath??? that my husband told them about, but it still took them two visits to fix the leak - which I think finally worked, but the heater problem wasn't solved). We'll be either seeing a new mechanic and/or getting our money back from the first for paying so much for so little work and still not having any heat. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
I sold the car before I was able to get it fixed. The issues that were explained to me for the Heat was 1. Radiator Flush 2. Replace Thermostat 3. Replace Heater Core. Total Cost was about $1,200 which was $200 more than what the car was worth so, I decided to sell it as is. From that I bought my 2008 PT LX 2 weeks ago.

The A/C I did not replace as I don't really use it anyways. But, I needed to get a whole new A/C unit because the one in my car was shot due to an accident before I bought the car.

In my personsal opinion, I would not get a new car or replace the Cruiser until the cost of repair is beyond what the car is worth. 2k for repairs to have the PT go for another 20k or many more miles seems worth it in my opinion.

Aslo, with the guage, Let the car warm up first. Drive it for about 10 miles until the car is warmed up. Then look at the gauge. Then let the car sit for a few minutes at idle to see if you notice the Temp gauge change at all. I'll post an example in a few minutes.
OK, will do. My husband took the car to go for a run - I know, I know, but he's almost 60 and has bad shins so he goes to run on a soccer field, LOL. But I'll have him check when he gets back. Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 05:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 2,586
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Craigslist is full of good, used cars, relatively cheap. You can get a used Toyota and they're VERY good cars. I've owned several over the years and had very little problems with them. They were just too small for my family and I moved on to the bigger Mopars. I'd go back to Toyota in a heart beat if I was in better financial shape. If someone wanted to trade me a decent one for my GT, I'd do that. You've gotten some very good suggestions here as to what to do. I'm a backyard, shade tree mechanic that's been working on my own cars for 45 years. I don't claim to know much about cars and never will. I won't make any suggestions about your PT. I do think since neither you nor your hubby seem to know much about cars, that you've been taken advantage of for way too long.
__________________


I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
2003 PT GT 2.4 turbo auto stick
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 05:10 pm
Vengence's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 170
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Here are the 2 pics I said I'd upload. For some reason they wont upload to photobucket so I attached them. The first one was my car just regular driving and the second is when I would sit at a stop light or just sit and wait for someone and what not. The Needle is supposed to be in the middle but in both pics, you can see the needle is under the normal range and then above the normal range. It's not a PT but from the PT's I have owned, The temp guage usually is in the middle.

Also, I do not know why the one picture is sideways. It doesnt show up that way on my computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160509_135340.jpg (96.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Temp Idle.jpg (70.7 KB, 9 views)
__________________
2008 PT Cruiser LX Inferno Red vengence991@gmail.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Did the a/c work properly before the timing belt was changed? Part of that work involves discharging the a/c system and disconnecting the lines, then reconnecting and charging the system again. Did the a/c work properly when you got the vehicle back from that service? Was the water pump replaced at the same time as the timing belt replaced?
That I don't know, and I can't remember. I'll have to wait til my hub gets back, I'm pretty sure we've got all the maintenance records. So I can get an idea of the timeline on when all this stuff happened. I'm thinking it worked OK for a while after we got the timing belt replaced though. But I'll check and let you know later this PM. I vaguely remember something about possibly having the water pump replaced at the same time. But I'll have to check on that. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
Here are the 2 pics I said I'd upload. For some reason they wont upload to photobucket so I attached them. The first one was my car just regular driving and the second is when I would sit at a stop light or just sit and wait for someone and what not. The Needle is supposed to be in the middle but in both pics, you can see the needle is under the normal range and then above the normal range. It's not a PT but from the PT's I have owned, The temp guage usually is in the middle.

Also, I do not know why the one picture is sideways. It doesnt show up that way on my computer.
OK, I'll have him check on that. I'll have my daughter text him and have him do that - he's out driving it right now. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2017, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Craigslist is full of good, used cars, relatively cheap. You can get a used Toyota and they're VERY good cars. I've owned several over the years and had very little problems with them. They were just too small for my family and I moved on to the bigger Mopars. I'd go back to Toyota in a heart beat if I was in better financial shape. If someone wanted to trade me a decent one for my GT, I'd do that. You've gotten some very good suggestions here as to what to do. I'm a backyard, shade tree mechanic that's been working on my own cars for 45 years. I don't claim to know much about cars and never will. I won't make any suggestions about your PT. I do think since neither you nor your hubby seem to know much about cars, that you've been taken advantage of for way too long.
Thanks! Yeah, when doing research on good used cars under 10K, a couple of models of Toyotas came up. My husband had a Toyota PU for many years, I think it had almost 200K miles before he sold it. Anyway, if my husband was doing the talking here, I think we wouldn't sound so dumb. He probably could have answered everyone's questions with a reasonable explanation. But, as for me, yeah, I'm clueless, even though I rebuilt an engine in Auto Mechanics 40 years ago, LOL! We found some good mechanics in the last place we lived, but not in our current one. I know that he has gone round and round with the mechanics here, he's not a pushover - we just can't seem to find anyone who is honest or who will spend time to do good work for us. That's why he refused to pay $1500 for an AC repair. Anyway, thanks for your advice, I'll be on the lookout for a good used Toyota for our other daughter!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blew my Turbo or Engine on my beloved 07 GT edscrz General Turbo Discussions 17 16 Jul 2015 01:07 pm
Hi what would you suggest for selling my beloved convertible? norainabq General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 18 Feb 2014 01:43 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors