Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What to do with my beloved PT?

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2017, 05:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Another often over looked and good, dependable used car is a Geo Prizm. They're basically a Toyota Corolla with a different name tag. I owned one of those and am STILL kicking myself for selling it. It was a great car!

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
2003 PT GT 2.4 turbo auto stick
Old 02 Jan 2017, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
Honestly, In my opinion, If it only has 105k miles on it and the A/C and Heater are the only things wrong with it, I would get them repaired. As for what could be wrong with them.

A/C-
1. Could be the A/C unit itself.
2. A/C compressor which runs with the Belt.

Heater-
1. May need new Radiator.
2. Radiator Flush
3. Heater Core

These are to my knowledge but I am sure others have other suggestions. If you repaired/replaced those, I think you would get more than 20k miles with it. Hell, I'd say maybe more than 50-75k. PT's have been a reliable car in my opinion and this 08 LX I just bought a couple weeks ago is now my 4th PT Cruiser. I had a 2001 Limited which died last year. and 09 GT that was Totaled, and 09 LX that I modified like crazy for my hobby at the time and now this 08 LX model.

This is the husband: The radiator is fine and they flushed it when it was taken in to fix the heater, which included a leak of radiator fluid from the reservoir to the radiator. He replaced the core with a rebuilt, too.

Said it may be the thermostat when I took it back and said it was under the dashboard and he had to pull the dashboard, thus the high cost of repair according to the estimate. Labor rates are high out here. I wanted to verify before I took it further. Your advice on that recommendation?

The AC is leaking Freon and a different mechanic checked the lines and filled it. After a month it was running hot again. He rechecked it and said it was the compressor. Gave us another recharge to get us through the summer but said it would not last. Not sure I want to pay for a new compressor.

Gauges are all normal.

The problems with the AC and heater all happened about a year after the timing belt replacement.

Thanks for the responses. Hope this answers everyone's questions. All the suggestions are helpful.
Old 02 Jan 2017, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having with your PT. Mine is 2 years older and with about 35,000 more miles, but everything works on my PT, it's never been in an accident, and I plan on enjoying it for at least another 5 years, or longer.

Have you had the timing belt work done on yours yet? If not, it should have been done around the 100,000 mile mark and you're facing about a $1000-$1500 bill to fix that and related components.

Although I hate to see any vehicle go to the scrap yard, I don't think that the PT is any more problematic than any other vehicle. I think all vehicles have their quirks, the key is to stay on top of things, and do some preventative maintenance before things break. But I wish you luck on whatever you choose.

The problems with the AC and heater all happened about a year after the timing belt replacement. Gauges are all normal.

Thanks for the response. Appreciate you taking the time.
Old 02 Jan 2017, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
he was likely wrong about the compressor being the leak. the lines chafe and wear through on these cars. you can follow the 2 fat lines up with your hand and see for yourself what i'm referring to. you can't see it unless you pull the two lines apart and look.

post about when i fixed mine:

what doesn't work with the heat? the air coming out of the vents? the temperature?

This is the husband. I'll check the AC lines. One was repaired/replaced about three years ago. They were rechecked after the Freon recharge this summer, when it only lasted about a month. The mechanic said it was the compressor on the second try but gave us a recharge to get through the summer.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond and for attaching the picture. It is very helpful.
Old 02 Jan 2017, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Another often over looked and good, dependable used car is a Geo Prizm. They're basically a Toyota Corolla with a different name tag. I owned one of those and am STILL kicking myself for selling it. It was a great car!
Thanks! I'll do a search for those in my area - we live in a heavily populated area of the country so maybe I'll get lucky!
Old 02 Jan 2017, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTtreegirl View Post
This is the husband: The radiator is fine and they flushed it when it was taken in to fix the heater, which included a leak of radiator fluid from the reservoir to the radiator. He replaced the core with a rebuilt, too.

Said it may be the thermostat when I took it back and said it was under the dashboard and he had to pull the dashboard, thus the high cost of repair according to the estimate. Labor rates are high out here. I wanted to verify before I took it further. Your advice on that recommendation?

The AC is leaking Freon and a different mechanic checkeud the lines and filled it. After a month it was running hot again. He rechecked it and said it was the compressor. Gave us another recharge to get us through the summer but said it would not last. Not sure I want to pay for a new compressor.

Gauges are all normal.

The problems with the AC and heater all happened about a year after the timing belt replacement.

Thanks for the responses. Hope this answers everyone's questions. All the suggestions are helpful.
I hope you might just be confused about what the mechanic was talking about, or you need to find a different mechanic if he says the thermostat is under the dash.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
143K Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '83 - '93
Old 02 Jan 2017, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I hope you might just be confused about what the mechanic was talking about, or you need to find a different mechanic if he says the thermostat is under the dash.
Wife here, not husband . Ok, I'll tell him that. And then hopefully he'll go to the mechanic and tell him off and demand a refund. So where is it really?
Old 02 Jan 2017, 08:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Hi, I'm a new member. I have a 2008 Turbo PT that I love, but it has been having a lot of problems lately with the AC, Heater, and now the lights on the gear shift panel don't work. Also, when I click the keys to lock the car, I get a half-hearted moan, instead of the normal chirp. We have spent over $1000 on the AC/heater problems and they still aren't fixed. The mechanic did a Freon re-charge, but told us it wouldn't last long - that we needed a new compressor which would cost $1500 (he was right, the air was cool for only three weeks or so). We didn't get the new compressor because the car is worth about $3,500 according to the blue book. The heater went out about a month ago, and the repairs haven't fixed it. We have two teenaged daughters who will need cars in the very near future and I was planning on giving the car to the oldest, but my husband just says sell it, it's not worth the money to repair or maintain. It has about 105,000 miles on it. We have maintained it well for 8 years. It is beautiful - silver with purple flames, leather seats, moon roof, power seats, etc. What would be your advice, knowing the problems that PT Cruisers are known to have? We are not handy and would have to pay a mechanic for all needed repairs. We don't have money to spare with two daughters going off to college soon, but I've checked and can't find another option for a reliable used car for our daughters for less than $10K. Since the PT is our family car, we'll also need to buy a new/used car for ourselves. So after all this rambling - is it better to cut our losses and sell, thinking that we'll only have more problems in the future, or does anyone think we can get 10-20K more miles on this car after repairing the AC/heater? Thanks for your advice.
Sorry to hear about your Pt issues. I will confess nothing burns my toast more than dishonest mechanics. I did some checking on the Partsgeek parts site and the Denso OE style compressor for your vehicle can be purchased for 270 dollars if it is the actual part that is leaking freon on your car, which I truly question, if the same mechanic believes the thermostat is under the dash. If you have a heater core problem yes the heater core is in the heater/evaporator box but not the car's thermostat. I failed to see if you answered the question about the temp gauge indication when the car is warmed up. Is it basically reading mid-scale on the gauge? Like another member stated the a/c lines do usually get disconnected to allow more access for the timing belt change. When going back together the mechanic should have installed new o-rings on the high and low pressure lines before reassembly where they were disconnected. It might be the source of your freon leak, especially a slow leak, which yours seems to be. 1500 hundred dollars to fix your a/c seems criminal to me. I would definitely seek out a second mechanic to verify your original diagnosis of the compressor failure but if it is bad, like I said, it can be purchased at a very reasonable cost. I hope you can get it fixed and keep rollin'! If you lived here in Indiana I would be more than happy to assist you.
Old 02 Jan 2017, 08:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Wife here, not husband . Ok, I'll tell him that. And then hopefully he'll go to the mechanic and tell him off and demand a refund. So where is it really?
The thermostat is seated in the aluminum thermostat housing attached to the cylinder head located on the passenger side front of the cylinder head. The upper thermostat housing is plastic and the upper radiator hose runs from the upper radiator over to the plastic cover. There are two bolts that hold the top cover onto the lower thermostat housing. The thermostat is sandwiched between those two pieces.
Old 02 Jan 2017, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
Sorry to hear about your Pt issues. I will confess nothing burns my toast more than dishonest mechanics. I did some checking on the Partsgeek parts site and the Denso OE style compressor for your vehicle can be purchased for 270 dollars if it is the actual part that is leaking freon on your car, which I truly question, if the same mechanic believes the thermostat is under the dash. If you have a heater core problem yes the heater core is in the heater/evaporator box but not the car's thermostat. I failed to see if you answered the question about the temp gauge indication when the car is warmed up. Is it basically reading mid-scale on the gauge? Like another member stated the a/c lines do usually get disconnected to allow more access for the timing belt change. When going back together the mechanic should have installed new o-rings on the high and low pressure lines before reassembly where they were disconnected. It might be the source of your freon leak, especially a slow leak, which yours seems to be. 1500 hundred dollars to fix your a/c seems criminal to me. I would definitely seek out a second mechanic to verify your original diagnosis of the compressor failure but if it is bad, like I said, it can be purchased at a very reasonable cost. I hope you can get it fixed and keep rollin'! If you lived here in Indiana I would be more than happy to assist you.
Wife here. My husband says he has been monitoring the temp gauge since the heater went out several weeks ago, and everything looks OK. I thought he responded to that suggestion but maybe not. Yeah, I agree, the $1,500 quote is criminal now knowing what the part costs, but what is worse is that we went to TWO different mechanics for each of the problems and they both tried to rip us off and/or were incompetent. I watched my husband reply to the heater core suggestion and he said that they did replace it with a rebuilt one. Does that sound legit? Or was that BS also? Jeesh, I think we could drive to Indiana from where we live in Virginia and still come out ahead! I guess we'd freeze on the way though. I'll have my husband reply to you tomorrow - he went to bed already - EST ya know . But thank you very much for all your help! We really appreciate it. I'll try to update when we find someone we trust to do the work. I hope it's soon, it is supposed to get cold next weekend. Thanks again!

Last edited by PTtreegirl; 02 Jan 2017 at 09:39 pm.