Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What to do with my beloved PT?

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2017, 09:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Might be a stupid question, but has the heater core been by-passed? Assuming the car is operating at the correct temperature, wouldn't the only thing that would stop a heater from blowing hot air be a clogged or by-passed core?

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Might be a stupid question, but has the heater core been by-passed? Assuming the car is operating at the correct temperature, wouldn't the only thing that would stop a heater from blowing hot air be a clogged or by-passed core?
I guess they did do a "back flush" of the heater core. The heater blew hot air after that for a very short time, and then started blowing cool air. The car will be looked at again by a different mechanic to see if it needs a new heater core or not. Thanks for your help!
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

wow! ...................... Good read for a cup of early morning coffee and a good laugh!

Did I leave any emo cons out about what I think about this thread?

let me sum it it to...
Start looking for a new Auto Shop. Do your research to find one that has good reviews no bad BBB report and also more than one ASE Technician not mechanic. Get a 100 point evaluation. this will run 1 to 2 hours. At this point it is well worth the investment.

Lastly GET OFF the forum. This PT Cruiser forum can help members but in threads like this there is little DIY experience from you (not trying to offend just pointing out the obvious) or would not have taken your PT to a shop in the first place. You have to many problems inaccurate reporting information resulting in to many cooks (members ) wanting to cook(give advise) in the same pot( not really in some cases towards the right direction for resolve).
I read threw this thread and the problems and advise are all over the place making even for me to go WTF!!

Good luck with your PT
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Jan 2017 at 11:07 am.
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

If the temperature gauge is reading mid scale and your heater core was looked at or back flushed as the receipt shows and assuming the heater core has not been bypassed as has been mentioned then you might have a mode door problem on the hvac box. I believe the a/c issue obviously is a separate issue due to freon loss or leakage. I personally have not had to repair a mode door issue on the Pt Cruiser but in the case of your symptoms it is a possibility. I'm sure other members on this forum have dealt with the issue before and can give better info on the mode door operation and/or repairs.
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
There's not much argument you can give a shop on parts pricing. In my experience, shops generally charge about double for the parts, from what you can get the same part over the counter, because the shop has to cover their labor should the part fail during the warranty period. The bigger question is, is a new compressor going to fix the issues, or are they just throwing parts at your car, hoping they eventually replace the correct part?

I don't know. I feel like this mechanic we're taking the car to tomorrow isn't trying to scam us into doing unnecessary work (after talking to him this morning - he actually seems the opposite - doesn't think it's worth the effort). This will be the third time he's looked at it, and noted on the receipt that the hoses/lines were checked for leaks and none found - I told him we were just trying to decide if it is worth the money to fix it. He offered to take another look - at no cost - to see again what exactly needs to be done and will look to see if the heater core is the real problem or if it is something less expensive . But most people who read this thread thought that his estimate for cost of replacing the compressor was way too high (labor around $800+) if he's charging $400 for the compressor. We live in a very high cost area (outside of DC near Quantico). So I don't know if that is a ridiculous price or not for our area. What do you think?
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is what should be recommended to use. It can verify so many things!

Infrared Thermometer, Hand held. You can get them very cheaply on line i.e. Harbor Freight.

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Jan 2017 at 10:38 am.
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: What to do with my beloved PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I was just wondering you ever use a IR tester??????
Com'on you are better than this!?

This is what should be recommended to use. It can verify so many things!

Infrared Thermometer, Hand held. You can get them very cheaply on line i.e. Harbor Freight.
No, I wish I had some of those special tools but unfortunately I do not. They are used quite often in my Air Force job by the electro/enviromental techs but I haven't used one myself but I can see how it would be useful for situations like this. Not really necessary for an avionics tech.
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTtreegirl View Post
But most people who read this thread thought that his estimate for cost of replacing the compressor was way too high (labor around $800+) if he's charging $400 for the compressor. We live in a very high cost area (outside of DC near Quantico). So I don't know if that is a ridiculous price or not for our area. What do you think?
Call a local Chrysler service center and ask them for a quote on the same repair, or call around to a few reputable mechanics and ask for an over the phone quote. Most reputable shops use the same labor standards (hours). As for the cost of parts, most any shop will up-charge their parts to help off-set the cost of rework, should the part fail. You might can save some bucks supplying the part yourself, but if that part fails, then you will be on the hook for the replacement costs, and the headache of returning/waiting/receiveing the replacement part and rescheduling the repair. $100 is not worth that pain IMO.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
No, I wish I had some of those special tools but unfortunately I do not. They are used quite often in my Air Force job by the electro/enviromental techs but I haven't used one myself but I can see how it would be useful for situations like this. Not really necessary for an avionics tech.
Hey I edited my response ..I thought I was getting a bit rude. Sorry!

I used one often when I did avionic diagnosing? But then I was the one that looked for problems and the repair was assigned to others.
ptprice likes this.
Old 03 Jan 2017, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
wow! ...................... Good read for a cup of early morning coffee and a good laugh!

Did I leave any emo cons out about what I think about this thread?

let me sum it it to...
Start looking for a new Auto Shop. Do your research to find one that has good reviews no bad BBB report and also more than one ASE Technician not mechanic. Get a 100 point evaluation. this will run 1 to 2 hours. At this point it is well worth the investment.

Lastly GET OFF the forum. This PT Cruiser forum can help members but in threads like this there is little DIY experience from you (not trying to offend just pointing out the obvious) or would not have taken your PT to a shop in the first place. You have to many problems inaccurate reporting information resulting in to many cooks (members ) wanting to cook(give advise) in the same pot( not really in some cases towards the right direction for resolve).
I read threw this thread and the problems and advise are all over the place making even for me to go WTF!!

Good luck with your PT
Well thanks, I'm glad you found my thread so amusing. I found the forum and thought people could help me in making the decision about what to do with my car since I assumed they would be familiar with problems/mechanics of the car. I didn't know that being a DIY or certified mechanic was required to participate. Also since this is a forum for people who love their PT's, I thought I would get some helpful and supportive advice. Which I did. Lots of it. I don't care if the advice I got was all over the place, I appreciated the fact that everyone took the time to try to help me and I learned a lot from the pictures and videos everyone shared. It helped both me and my husband understand what we're dealing with. So I'll make my decision about whether or not I want to leave the forum myself after meeting so many helpful and nice people. I'm not going to leave just because you order me to - WTH's with that! I know that we'll be better informed to make a decision after we get the car re-evaluated again tomorrow.

Good luck with YOUR PT.
thehoghunter likes this.