Changing seats

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer
  • 1 Post By SanAntonioJoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2017, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Changing seats

im looking to replace my stock seat in a 06 convertible with power, heated, leather; has anyone done this with success?
Old 07 Jan 2017, 08:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Changing seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEROYALE View Post
im looking to replace my stock seat in a 06 convertible with power, heated, leather; has anyone done this with success?
It's actually pretty easy to do the front seats. There's been several that have used the front seats out of a 2004/2005 GT Wagon. They will fit without too much work. The back seats are another matter. Unless you can find a salvage convertible with original leather, it's going to be an upholstery shop.

In my opinion, the "power" part of PT seats doesn't do much. At least the 1st Gen seats don't. And heat can be added to any seats. For me, I've been thinking about some aftermarket racing seats. They make them in dark gray and that would match the cloth back seats pretty well.

Here's some like I have considered. But I'm just in the planning stage.

https://www.amazon.com/SPARCO-STYLE-...ts%2Bgrey&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/TYPE-R-STYLE-...ing+seats+grey

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Jan 2017 at 08:33 pm.
Old 07 Jan 2017, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just did this myself today, everything works great but the heater themselves are not working, I'm thinking the PCM has to be programmed?
Old 08 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Power seats go up and down only. Forward and backward are manual.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 08 Jan 2017, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyrob View Post
I just did this myself today, everything works great but the heater themselves are not working, I'm thinking the PCM has to be programmed?
It may be in the Body Control Module (BCM) which is made into the instrument cluster. But it would be accessed through the OBDII port the same way. So it really doesn't make a difference to the one updating it. For the rest of us, it's sometimes possible to just swap the cluster from a salvage car that already had the accessory you want to add. But doing this is kind of "uncharted" territory as in this was too expensive to do back in the day when PT mania was in full force and salvage instrument clusters weren't a dime a dozen as they are now.

Since dealership folks sometimes laugh at you if you call a dealership nowadays and ask about something like this on a PT Cruiser, I would likely research the wiring diagram. From that, it should be pretty easy to tell if the seat heater timer is controlled by the PCM or BCM. If it was, I would likely get a pair of aftermarket seat heaters and replace the factory ones. But I'd try to use the original switches on the sides of the seats if I could. The heater is just a heating pad beneath the seat cover. And the seat cover can be removed and reinstalled with a little work.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Jan 2017 at 10:29 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 12:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Lots of shops can install an aftermarket seat heater kit that operates independently of the car's computer. If you can do a pretty decent job with a set of wrenches, it can be done on a workbench.

I'm thinking about adding an aftermarket kit to my convertible's seats. I've done it before an a Chevy S-10 with bucket seats.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.