PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Knock, knock. Who's there? No Rod (thank God)

Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By Renegade
  • 4 Post By Renegade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2017, 09:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Knock, knock. Who's there? No Rod (thank God)

I just wanted to share this.

Yesterday I started up the wife's PT in the morning and got this loud knocking in the engine bay that I could feel all the way in the driver's seat. Cue major frown on my face and the beginnings of a panic attack. I was moving the car from the street to a parking space in my building and it seemed to be running fine, the but the sound kept on going.

Naturally my fear was that I had thrown a rod or that a valve had broke. Neither one something I wanted to, or really could, deal with.

After driving my wife to work in my PT, I spent the morning watching and, more importantly listening, to videos about thrown rods and knocks on Youtube. I noticed in them that the knocks seemed to be constant, but mine was a series of 4 knocks followed by a slight delay, then repeat. Sometimes the delay would change and the number of knocks fewer, but that was generally the pattern. That made me think maybe it was actually a belt or a pulley connected to a belt instead of something that was going to call for a new engine.

I couldn't pinpoint the source by ear, although it seemed to be on the passenger side of the engine. I could feel a vibration in the a/c hose but not so much when I touched the valve cover, which made me more convinced of my belt/pulley theory. So I looked down at the belts and thought I saw something like a blur or a shadow go over the idler pulley in time with the knocks.

The serpentine belt was pretty new, having been replaced last summer, but I moved on to taking it off. It looked okay and while it was off I started the engine and voila, the knocks were gone. My rods were not dead yet! Thank God!

I examined the Power steering and a/c pulleys for play or looseness and they were okay. The idler pulley tensioner seemed okay except that I could hear the ball bearings when I spun it. That seemed wrong to me since I don't think you can hear the bearings so much in a similar thing like a modern skateboard wheel (unlike those nasty old metal wheels on shoe roller skates we had when I was a kid). So I replaced the tensioner and sure enough, the knocks did not return. Huzzah!

So the lesson I'm trying to impart here is the importance of being able to identity strange sounds from your car and not always assume the worst. Or let somebody tell you it's the worst. I little investigation on the web first might just save you some bucks in the end.

Last edited by Renegade; 26 Jan 2017 at 11:46 pm.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 09:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Knock, knock. Who's there? No Rod (thank God)

Postscript:

After I put the tensioner on, the knocks were gone but the belt was squealing. Since the belt was relatively new, I figured I could just use it, but I did not account for the belt having adapted to the shape and imperfections of the bad tensioner.

Another trip to the auto parts store and one more new belt later, the squealing was gone. Lesson learned. The tensioner and belt should be replaced together.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope your experience related here will help someone else.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jan 2017, 10:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Knock .?
you have a Knack for Knock... a Skill if you will

I'm going to post a video of my other cruiser ....... she's a knocker
i'm thinking a Guy like you
that has a very particular set of skills. Skills acquired over a very long career. Skills that make a nightmare for people like me............ go away
Thanks in advance......W

If you answered “yes” then parts car is a really good idea.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 12:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchnIswhatIdo View Post
Knock .?
you have a Knack for Knock... a Skill if you will

I'm going to post a video of my other cruiser ....... she's a knocker
i'm thinking a Guy like you
that has a very particular set of skills. Skills acquired over a very long career. Skills that make a nightmare for people like me............ go away
Thanks in advance......W
O...kay..?