2006 Cruiser turn signals and brake lights not working

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2017, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Cruiser turn signals and brake lights not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasd View Post
can you offer any advice on how to find these? im not sure what im looking for and havent been able to find any pictures by googling or looking in the manual.

also i checked every fuse in the box and none was burnt out. I took the rear lights out and the bulbs were fine and the wiring looked fine to me but im not really sure what to look for. no obvious frayed or old looking wires though. not sure how to go about taking out the front lights.

also another thing i noticed is that all brake lights come on when the e-brake is on (even when the headlights are on). (as opposed to only the middle and right when the headlights are off, and none when the headlights are on)

thanks again for any tips or advice
G302 (PT27) - Left Side Body ----------fig. 56
G302 (PT44) - Left Rear Upper Body --fig. 59
G303 (PT27) - Right Side Body --------fig. 50
G303 (PT44) - Right Rear Quarter------fig. 52

It would extremely help if you were to get the factory manual to see the images if you don't have one yet.

The TIPM does control the parking, turn signal and brake lighting circuits.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Mar 2017 at 07:07 pm.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 06:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
can you offer any advice on how to find these? im not sure what im looking for and havent been able to find any pictures by googling or looking in the manual.

also i checked every fuse in the box and none was burnt out. I took the rear lights out and the bulbs were fine and the wiring looked fine to me but im not really sure what to look for. no obvious frayed or old looking wires though. not sure how to go about taking out the front lights.

also another thing i noticed is that all brake lights come on when the e-brake is on (even when the headlights are on). (as opposed to only the middle and right when the headlights are off, and none when the headlights are on)

thanks again for any tips or advice

Not exactly the same thing, but close enough to mention...
I had a problem a year ago where I had no headlights, wipers, blinkers or dash lights. Every time I thought I fixed it, the problem came back. I noticed that with the emergency brake was up, it all worked, once I lowered it...everything was dead. After the 5-6th time I thought I had fixed it, I took it to the dealer.
They couldn't find anything, it all worked fine. When I picked it up it did it again & I showed the service manager...he said he's never seen anything like it before. I ended up taking a chance & had the PCM (computer) flashed ($100)...and the car has been fine ever since.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 04 Mar 2017, 07:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Not exactly the same thing, but close enough to mention...
I had a problem a year ago where I had no headlights, wipers, blinkers or dash lights. Every time I thought I fixed it, the problem came back. I noticed that with the emergency brake was up, it all worked, once I lowered it...everything was dead. After the 5-6th time I thought I had fixed it, I took it to the dealer.
They couldn't find anything, it all worked fine. When I picked it up it did it again & I showed the service manager...he said he's never seen anything like it before. I ended up taking a chance & had the PCM (computer) flashed ($100)...and the car has been fine ever since.
A couple of years ago, my PT had an issue with no headlights, no turn signals, no brake lights, only parking lights in the front. It was night when I was trying to drive home using back roads and seeing only by street lights. I couldn't make it all the way home, so I pulled into a parking lot and thought I would reset the TIPM. I disconnected the negative battery cable and waited for 15 minutes. When I connected the battery back up, everything was back on just working fine and have not had any issues since.

You might try resetting the TIPM, won't cost you anything and won't hurt anything, you might just get lucky like I did.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are the turn signal lights still blinking on the dash?
Old 06 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Are the turn signal lights still blinking on the dash?
yes

also i noticed that when i lock, unlock the car using the electronic key, the lights other than the headlights do not flash
Old 06 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
A couple of years ago, my PT had an issue with no headlights, no turn signals, no brake lights, only parking lights in the front. It was night when I was trying to drive home using back roads and seeing only by street lights. I couldn't make it all the way home, so I pulled into a parking lot and thought I would reset the TIPM. I disconnected the negative battery cable and waited for 15 minutes. When I connected the battery back up, everything was back on just working fine and have not had any issues since.

You might try resetting the TIPM, won't cost you anything and won't hurt anything, you might just get lucky like I did.
interesting. i did replace the battery recently. i hadn't made that connection until now. could it have something to do with the new battery?

I will try disconnecting it for a while today and see what happens. Thank you!
Old 06 Mar 2017, 01:28 pm
Banned

Quote:
interesting. i did replace the battery recently. i hadn't made that connection until now. could it have something to do with the new battery?

I will try disconnecting it for a while today and see what happens. Thank you!
Since you will have the negative cable off, you may as well disconnect the positive as well and thoroughly clean both the cable ends, as well as the battery posts. You might as well pull the battery and check the ground bundle located on the inner fender, clean those if you see any corrosion.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

UPDATE!

I have still been unable to figure out those ground connections, so made an hour trek to my uncle's shop and had him scan it with his computer to look at error codes. From what he could decipher from the codes he thinks it's an issue with the TIPM.

However, in the past week my brake lights have miraculously started working as normal again leaving only the turn signals as an issue. My uncle took this to mean it could just be a loose connection. Since i was kind of bumping up against the fuse box while replacing the battery, i'm wondering if i just knocked something loose. I'm going to see if i can find any loose connections there, and if not, i found a used one on ebay for 120$. problem solved??

thanks again for everyone's input here!
Old 17 Mar 2017, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd try removing the plastic cover from the steering column and checking the plugs on the wiring harnesses underneath it. Sounds to me like you've got a loose connection or burnt wire. A zip tie around the connectors as tight as you can make them could make all the difference in the world. Or not. But, it'll take about 15 minutes of your time to try. The choice is yours.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
UPDATE!

I have still been unable to figure out those ground connections, so made an hour trek to my uncle's shop and had him scan it with his computer to look at error codes. From what he could decipher from the codes he thinks it's an issue with the TIPM.

However, in the past week my brake lights have miraculously started working as normal again leaving only the turn signals as an issue. My uncle took this to mean it could just be a loose connection. Since i was kind of bumping up against the fuse box while replacing the battery, i'm wondering if i just knocked something loose. I'm going to see if i can find any loose connections there, and if not, i found a used one on ebay for 120$. problem solved??

thanks again for everyone's input here!
I would suggest checking the ground wires going to the drivers side fender next to the battery.

Tags
2006, brake lights, brakes, fuse, turn signals