PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why The Change?

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2017, 01:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Why The Change?

Someone had asked me why the drastic change between G1 and G2 electrics/electronics. I tried to research this using the search engine to no avail. Does anyone just know WHY??? My two PTs are G1s and seem to have fine electrics so wonder why they felt compelled to change it.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 03 Apr 2017, 01:59 pm
Banned

Default Re: Why The Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
Someone had asked me why the drastic change between G1 and G2 electrics/electronics. I tried to research this using the search engine to no avail. Does anyone just know WHY??? My two PTs are G1s and seem to have fine electrics so wonder why they felt compelled to change it.
https://sewelldirect.com/learning-ce...bus-technology

Jerry
Old 03 Apr 2017, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think Jerry has given the definitive link above on why Mr. Chrysler changed the PT to CANBus.

It's actually not that complicated and beats the pants off that PCI communication "wire-borrowing" thing they did for the satellite and NAV in the 1st Gen PT's.

My issue is with the facelift they gave the 2nd Gen PT's. The 1st Gen is definitely a better looking machine. I'll admit that the 2nd Gen interior is more functional in some ways. But changing the exterior was unnecessary in my opinion.
wwpptc likes this.
Old 03 Apr 2017, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I think Jerry has given the definitive link above on why Mr. Chrysler changed the PT to CANBus.

It's actually not that complicated and beats the pants off that PCI communication "wire-borrowing" thing they did for the satellite and NAV in the 1st Gen PT's.

My issue is with the facelift they gave the 2nd Gen PT's. The 1st Gen is definitely a better looking machine. I'll admit that the 2nd Gen interior is more functional in some ways. But changing the exterior was unnecessary in my opinion.
well ill just say I have no idea but Handy the change in the looks is a personal thing I think the bumpers on the Gen1s totally suck they look like some one forgot to put bumpers on the car and then at the last minute some body said OH HECK WE NEED BUMPERS the Gen2s are just a way better look smoother more like a finished frount and back and Im 100% we never had tape stripes on the GEN2s bumpers

I do think there were a lot more options on the Gen1s but I could be wrong on that as well
like I said this is all a personal opinion kind of like guitars Me I like a single coil Telecaster guitar It works for me I like everything about them---- but there are tons of guys who like Les pauls, Starts, PRS, SGs, and on and on
just saying
Old 03 Apr 2017, 09:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The change in the wiring was federally mandated to conserve resources. Part of the global green initiative.
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Apr 2017, 07:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
......Me I like a single coil Telecaster guitar It works for me I like everything about them---- but there are tons of guys who like Les pauls, Starts, PRS, SGs, and on and on just saying
I always figured a 2nd Gen PT man would be the type to go for a Telecaster.
Old 04 Apr 2017, 07:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Just started a automotive network class and the first thing we learned yesterday was the federal mandate in 08' for a vehicle network system. Chrysler just jumped to it 3 years early to go with the 5 year face lift of the PT. Saves them from making all G2's different come 08'. Auto OEMs do things like this all the time, do some new technology sooner to go with a car redesign or release, and sometimes the opposite with keeping old standards until a car life cycle ends.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 04 Apr 2017, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
Just started a automotive network class and the first thing we learned yesterday was the federal mandate in 08' for a vehicle network system.
When I re-tested for my ASE re-certification it is necessary to do a refresh coarse on all the latest information. No one can just "cold Turkey" the test and expect to pass anymore. My first time over 2 decades ago I did 97% little off on the L2 (*diesel ) stuff. This last time was still in the *90%.
I do like and admire that you are in school and learning all the updated things having to do with Auto Technology. Now all you have to do is update everyone on auto parts both OEM and aftermarket. This will help me support my responses that both are almost equal for quality and most are now un-american made anymore.

Welcome to the NEW Automotive WORLD.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Apr 2017, 09:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Well Nitro You'll be glad/mad/nitro-mode, I just passed my A1,A6,A8 tests sunday. No prepping, just walked in knowing what i know from school.

Sorry though, we don't talk about parts and their origin. The closest I get is talking about warranty work. The closest that gets, OEM parts nowadays are good quality and that's the main focus of the OEMs. Any car from any OE today, is 100x better than any car from any OE 10 years ago. The amount of quality control is insane. You will never buy "a bad car" in terms of quality.
NitroPT likes this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 04 Apr 2017, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
Well Nitro You'll be glad/mad/nitro-mode, I just passed my A1,A6,A8 tests sunday. No prepping, just walked in knowing what i know from school.

Sorry though, we don't talk about parts and their origin. The closest I get is talking about warranty work. The closest that gets, OEM parts nowadays are good quality and that's the main focus of the OEMs. Any car from any OE today, is 100x better than any car from any OE 10 years ago. The amount of quality control is insane. You will never buy "a bad car" in terms of quality.
Now if I understand it you did not compleat the intire certification for the master certificate?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com