PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C hissing sound in the vents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2017, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C hissing sound in the vents

Hi All.
Took my 05 convertible to have the A/C refilled after replacing the timing belt.
After one day A/C quit blowing cold air, So I figured there is a leak some where because it worked after recharging. I bought a can of leak stop and added it to the system and one can of freon. what could it hurt ? I had perfect A/C. I shut the engine off and heard a hissing coming from the A/C vents. I listened under the hood and could hear it faintly near the windshield under the cowl vent. I switched the air to the windshield and the hissing was coming from the defroster vent. so it must be the evaporator core ??? anybody else have this same problem ??
By the way I asked the guy that refilled it to check for leaks. he said he had to pull a negative vacuum in order to charge the system. he could only notice a large leak. so I can't blame him.
Any help ?
thanks.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 07:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: A/C hissing sound in the vents

Sure sounds like the evaporator core is leaking to me. I had to pass up a nice deal on an 04 PT in the bright blue color that I love, because of that. That's how I ended up with the 03 GT instead. The 04 had that sound and a local guy that the car lot used checked it out and his "sniffer" showed it leaking there. He REFUSED to work on it. Said it's an all day job as the entire dash has to come out in order to replace it. So, unless you're handy and have time, be prepared to dig into your bank account to get it fixed.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.