Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water on floor of passenger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2017, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Water on floor of passenger

I have been reading a lot about leaks in the vehicle. After finding a lot of water in the passenger floor. I used sealing paint for the floor (to seal everything out) and duck taped the sunroof. Today after the rain I went back outside and saw water on the floor in the area of the middle post. The front of the car was dry. behind the post was dry.

Where is this water coming from? I am going crazy in fact I am ready to seal the sunroof with silicone and sealant spray.
Old 05 May 2017, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Water on floor of passenger

The water is likely coming from one of two places.

First, the AC drain may be plugged. This will let both condensate for the AC coil and rainwater from the cowling HVAC air intake drip into the passenger floorboard. The way it's designed, rainwater from the cowling likely only happens in really heavy rain like we had in in Arkansas recently.

Second, you should understand that the seal around the sunroof is just an air/dust seal. It doesn't stop all water. Instead, there is a pan surrounding the sunroof that catches water that drips in. This pan has four drain hoses. There's a drain hose for each of the two front A-pillars on the sides of the windshield. Theses drain out behind the front wheel wells about where the front door hinges are but underneath the car. And there's a drain hose for each of the two D-pillars in the back that drain behind the rear wheels.

If any of these are stopped up, you can end up with water in the floorboard.

PS: Each of the four doors has a rubber seal around it. Check to assure one of these is not missing or badly damaged. It would likely make a lot of air noise while on the freeway if this is the case.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 May 2017 at 04:41 pm.
Old 05 May 2017, 04:42 pm
Banned

You posted in the other thread:

Got A Water Leak!

That you had problems with opening and closing the sunroof. Did you get that fixed to where you can close it to properly seal?
Old 14 May 2017, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The water is likely coming from one of two places.

First, the AC drain may be plugged. This will let both condensate for the AC coil and rainwater from the cowling HVAC air intake drip into the passenger floorboard. The way it's designed, rainwater from the cowling likely only happens in really heavy rain like we had in in Arkansas recently.

Second, you should understand that the seal around the sunroof is just an air/dust seal. It doesn't stop all water. Instead, there is a pan surrounding the sunroof that catches water that drips in. This pan has four drain hoses. There's a drain hose for each of the two front A-pillars on the sides of the windshield. Theses drain out behind the front wheel wells about where the front door hinges are but underneath the car. And there's a drain hose for each of the two D-pillars in the back that drain behind the rear wheels.

If any of these are stopped up, you can end up with water in the floorboard.

PS: Each of the four doors has a rubber seal around it. Check to assure one of these is not missing or badly damaged. It would likely make a lot of air noise while on the freeway if this is the case.
Any chance you have a picture or diagram that you can link? My wifes 07 Cruiser is having the same problem. When we're driving and make a turn we can hear fluid moving around on the passenger side, and the water slowly drips under. This started happening in March with the Spring storms coming in. Have not been using the AC so I don't think it is that. Coolant levels seem to be normal and there is no funky smell. Heater works fine so I don't think it is a leaking heater core.

My friend and I popped the two plastic pieces where the windshield wipers are and removed all debris. I also went under the car but couldn't find exactly where a "clogged AC line" would be.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 14 May 2017, 02:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Old 14 May 2017, 05:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!