PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can PT front seat back upholstery be interchanged, non air bag to air bag seat back.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2017, 09:19 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Can PT front seat back upholstery be interchanged, non air bag to air bag seat back.

I haven't had any luck finding 2005 compatible grey cloth seats with side air bags in the Daytona area for SOOO BIG.

The bright idea was suggested by a salvage yard manager to . . . . "Just stuff SOOO BIG's side air bags in the available non air bag seats, they do it all the time"! . . . . I posted a thread about that option the other day w/o much response. I asked for opinions as to would that work or not! . . . . It didn't seem to be a "hot topic". I just got a few responses. . . . . With that in mind I ask that again?

With no solution found on that subject yet, I've had another brain fart!

"This might just be a pipe dream based on bad information, but could I take it one step further in acquiring grey cloth seats with side air bags for SOOO BIG and just remove the salvage front seat back upholstery at the yard and interchange the salvage non air bag front seat back upholstery and install them on SOOO BIG's side air bag front seat backs? I'd still use the complete grey cloth front seat bottom w/o the frame and base, put the bottoms on SOOO BIG's frame and base and use the back grey cloth seat set as is".

Would the salvage non side air bag upholstery fit over the innards of a side air bag seat? would it work?

Please opine and advise. Thank you.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 06 May 2017 at 09:21 am.
Old 06 May 2017, 10:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Can PT front seat back upholstery be interchanged, non air bag to air bag seat ba

You'll have to do comparison by getting them both apart and seeing what, if any , difference there is.
Old 06 May 2017, 12:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Can PT front seat back upholstery be interchanged, non air bag to air bag seat ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
You'll have to do comparison by getting them both apart and seeing what, if any , difference there is.
Good advise, but I was actually hoping for some insight or information from a fellow Forum member knowledgeable in this comparison before I venture to that stage.

Thanks,

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 06 May 2017, 01:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Seat backs and bottoms easily disassemble and separate.

But, just as the driver airbag cover is designed to split open in the middle and the passenger-side airbag cover is designed to flip up and out of the way, so too, the OEM design airbag seats are engineered to 'deconstruct' when the airbags are deployed.
Putting the cloth seat covers over the seat structure with airbags, is sadly similar to building a 'tuff-enough to withstand years of wear warp and woof' wall over the safety sytem. Unsafe!
Old 06 May 2017, 02:59 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Seat backs and bottoms easily disassemble and separate.

But, just as the driver airbag cover is designed to split open in the middle and the passenger-side airbag cover is designed to flip up and out of the way, so too, the OEM design airbag seats are engineered to 'deconstruct' when the airbags are deployed.
Putting the cloth seat covers over the seat structure with airbags, is sadly similar to building a 'tuff-enough to withstand years of wear warp and woof' wall over the safety system. Unsafe!
Santananadharma, thanks. That's kinda what I surmised but hearing it from our learned one puts me back to my other options.

Primarily, one day soon I'll persevere and find a complete, very good, compatible PT grey cloth seat set with side air bags to counter the hot in summer cold in winter syndrome. Hopefully before full Florida summer or next winter. Secondly I might have the option of depending on the skills of a very talented local leather upholstery restorer and repairer.

Thank you for your knowledgeable input. As always, it's most appreciated.

Forum friends, keep those cards and letters comin' in. Please keep your eyes peeled and let me know if you spot a set of 2005 PT compatible, four door, grey (or similar) cloth seats with side air bags for me and SOOO BIG. Thanks for the effort. Any lead appreciated.

Happy PTin', ptprice