Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
325 For a Used Transmission With 118k?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2017, 03:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 325 For a Used Transmission With 118k?

I may have finally found a used transmission to replace my dead transmission. My only issue is that it has 118k and I'm not sure if thats good. I looked at VehicleHistory.com with the VIN but didn't see any history of maintenance on this vehicle. Now it might just have never been reported, or it might have never been done to begin with.

It comes with a 90 day warranty, upon salvage the oil was deemed 'good', not sure what that means but I assume it means to metal flakes etc... The vehicle was impacted lightly on the rear driver side with no major damage aside from some body panels and a broken window.

Does this seem like a safe buy?
Old 08 May 2017, 04:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 325 For a Used Transmission With 118k?

First, it has a 90 day warranty. IMO if there is a problem, you will know soon after the install. I'm guessing that they will let you pull the pan and check the fluid and filter. That should give a good indication if it will work. 118,000 miles is not a lot of miles, it should last a long time.

I am working on assumptions, ifs and shoulds. Lots of unknowns. Back to my first statement, it has a 90 day warranty. If you trust the seller, BUY!

It's easy for me to spend YOUR money from here!

You know there are other people with different opinions. C'mon guys, lets hear them.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 08 May 2017, 06:42 pm
Young Cruiser

It's hard to say if it's gonna be ok. Really it's a roll of the dice. 118K is enough miles and history that there could be serious clutch wear if the PO didn't take real good care of it. I could say yes, it will fine, if we knew it had all it's proper routine maintenance done and the fluid was never overheated. So many unknowns. I wouldn't do it, unless I knew the PO and the history. 90 day warranty sounds nice, but the big question is how many times do you want to pull the transmission? Not a very fun job, messy.
Old 09 May 2017, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It all depends on many things. First of all. Availability and prices in you area. Second is it was most likely being driven when it got hit. Third how long are you willing to find better mileage and at what cost. I have had one with 265k and far as I know the original trans. No noticeable signs of exchange. Just some things to consider.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 May 2017, 12:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
It all depends on many things. First of all. Availability and prices in you area. Second is it was most likely being driven when it got hit. Third how long are you willing to find better mileage and at what cost. I have had one with 265k and far as I know the original trans. No noticeable signs of exchange. Just some things to consider.
It was hit on the back side, insurance totaled the car. Low speed collision. I don't think that could really affect the drive train too much.

Prices around here vary but most are 300+ unless you go for obvious high mileage. They said the transmission worked. I assume they tested it.
Old 09 May 2017, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think what Busted was implying was that presumably since the car was on the road and in a position to get in an accident, that the transmission was working. If it was working well, or not, is the unknown. The junkyard is probably using the same logic to say that it was working when it was pulled. It's highly unlikely they tested it to any great degree; if at all.
Old 09 May 2017, 02:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I think what Busted was implying was that presumably since the car was on the road and in a position to get in an accident, that the transmission was working. If it was working well, or not, is the unknown. The junkyard is probably using the same logic to say that it was working when it was pulled. It's highly unlikely they tested it to any great degree; if at all.
The thing is, I could get it and it could work wonderfully for years, or I could get it and it could die six months later.

My biggest fear is the latter.