2006 PT Overheating issues

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2017, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
I'd try removing the intake and valve cover and re-torking the head bolts.
Was the head checked to see if it was warped before installation?
Was this engine severely overheated before parts were replaced?
Just got car back from Mechanic, they had it all day. They checked intake and valve covers. Said nothing was wrong. They checked for warping and didn't find anything. They did replace two fan relays as a precaution free of charge just in case they were defective. They shouldn't be as the Radiator / Rad Fan are brand new. Test drove it for 45 mins up and down highways and roads. Nothing happened "yet". But I"m going continue to drive in the daytime tomorrow to test it. It ran fine after the repairs for a few hours but it then started giving me problems. There is still a "gurgling" sound when I shut it off. I know that's not good.
Old 18 May 2017, 11:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPTOwner View Post
Just got car back from Mechanic, they had it all day. They checked intake and valve covers. Said nothing was wrong. They checked for warping and didn't find anything. They did replace two fan relays as a precaution free of charge just in case they were defective. They shouldn't be as the Radiator / Rad Fan are brand new. Test drove it for 45 mins up and down highways and roads. Nothing happened "yet". But I"m going continue to drive in the daytime tomorrow to test it. It ran fine after the repairs for a few hours but it then started giving me problems. There is still a "gurgling" sound when I shut it off. I know that's not good.
I would suggest after driving the PT Cruiser to let the engine cool off, then open the radiator cap to see if you have air in the coolant system or that the coolant is filled up to the top. Do this everyday for three days to see if air is getting into the coolant system.
Old 27 May 2017, 04:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok want to give an update. For the past several days the car as run "stable". No over heating, no above the 1/2 point on Heat Gauge, no gurgling. I have only driven it in small amounts of time. Usually 15-30 mins top to and from work. Got on the highway a few times. Ran stable BUT last wednesday there was a "hiccup". My heat gauge went up to 3/4 and the car made a almost "burp" type of sound and a very small amount of coolant shot out of my overflow. I pulled over and check everything. Nothing was loose or messed up. Drove it back to the Dealers, they had it for a day and said everything ran fine. They again confirmed the head gasket is not warped and is operational.

So today for no reason at all , my AC , Heat, and engine fans just turned off. Car went up past 3/4 on gauge and Temp warning light came on. I pulled over and there was a LOT of gurgling coming from the engine. I waited until the engine cooled down (several hours), checked coolant level and for air bubbles. There was none.

The dealer says the car is operational but it keeps overheating / getting hot and random times for no reason. Every part changed is functional and working correctly. Does ANYONE have a clue what could be causing this problem!?! It's simply not safe to drive anymore and I can't afford to keep throwing large sums of money into it when it's only worth $2000.

Could it be a TIPM? Would a bad fuse for some reason cause an electrical problem which would then cause some kind of coolant malfunction? I've exhausted all possible ideas on what the problem could be other than the car is lemon and possessed by some evil PT Demon sent to torment me.
Old 27 May 2017, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPTOwner View Post
Ok want to give an update. For the past several days the car as run "stable". No over heating, no above the 1/2 point on Heat Gauge, no gurgling. I have only driven it in small amounts of time. Usually 15-30 mins top to and from work. Got on the highway a few times. Ran stable BUT last wednesday there was a "hiccup". My heat gauge went up to 3/4 and the car made a almost "burp" type of sound and a very small amount of coolant shot out of my overflow. I pulled over and check everything. Nothing was loose or messed up. Drove it back to the Dealers, they had it for a day and said everything ran fine. They again confirmed the head gasket is not warped and is operational.

So today for no reason at all , my AC , Heat, and engine fans just turned off. Car went up past 3/4 on gauge and Temp warning light came on. I pulled over and there was a LOT of gurgling coming from the engine. I waited until the engine cooled down (several hours), checked coolant level and for air bubbles. There was none.

The dealer says the car is operational but it keeps overheating / getting hot and random times for no reason. Every part changed is functional and working correctly. Does ANYONE have a clue what could be causing this problem!?! It's simply not safe to drive anymore and I can't afford to keep throwing large sums of money into it when it's only worth $2000.

Could it be a TIPM? Would a bad fuse for some reason cause an electrical problem which would then cause some kind of coolant malfunction? I've exhausted all possible ideas on what the problem could be other than the car is lemon and possessed by some evil PT Demon sent to torment me.
Did the Pt Cruiser overheat at high speeds or low speeds?
Old 27 May 2017, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

First time it overheated yesterday was at 55 mph. Second time after it cooled off and got to around 3/4 temp gauge, I had just got off the highway and was slowing down to 25 mph.
Old 27 May 2017, 11:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When you replaced the head gasket did you have the head checked for cracks?
Old 31 May 2017, 05:14 pm
Young Cruiser

I would either do a hydrocarbon test to it or a pressure tester on the radiator and run it for a while to see what the maximum pressure is on the gauge of the pressure tester, you may have replaced the head gasket,but it still may have a leak or a cracked head, and I have never had any luck with store brand thermostats, I will use stant brand only or a fail safe..
Old 31 May 2017, 05:18 pm
Young Cruiser

also, it sounds like when you say it burped, you may still have air in the cooling system, I would bleed the coolant system by the bleeder plug on the thermostat housing
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok here's an update. Dealer had the card for 2 days. They said the head has no leaks and no cracks. It's not warped. They did tell me they put on "a compatible but not exactly your cars" radiator. I said "WTF does that mean?". I was told my radiator they put on has a "intergrated transmission cooler" on it and that my 2006 model has a separate trans cooler. But it "shouldn't" cause a problem. I want to know if this is true or if I'm getting the run around. I've never heard of a such a thing especially from a DEALER.

Also new symptom today while driving home. Temp gauges rises VERY slowly. Then settles just a little over 1/2 mark. If I go highway, it goes below. If i go under 35 mph it goes up to 3/4 mark. Fans are on, full on coolant, just temp gauge is all over since i got it back.

They've already ordered me a new Radiator but it doesn't show up until Monday. I'm at my automotive knowledge limit at this point.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does your paperwork have the part number for the compatible radiator that was put in your Pt Cruiser? If so please do post it.
rckstein likes this.

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, overheating engine, overheating problems