PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Overheating issues

 
Like Tree5Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:46 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPTOwner View Post
Ok here's an update. Dealer had the card for 2 days. They said the head has no leaks and no cracks. It's not warped. They did tell me they put on "a compatible but not exactly your cars" radiator. I said "WTF does that mean?". I was told my radiator they put on has a "intergrated transmission cooler" on it and that my 2006 model has a separate trans cooler. But it "shouldn't" cause a problem. I want to know if this is true or if I'm getting the run around. I've never heard of a such a thing especially from a DEALER.

Also new symptom today while driving home. Temp gauges rises VERY slowly. Then settles just a little over 1/2 mark. If I go highway, it goes below. If i go under 35 mph it goes up to 3/4 mark. Fans are on, full on coolant, just temp gauge is all over since i got it back.

They've already ordered me a new Radiator but it doesn't show up until Monday. I'm at my automotive knowledge limit at this point.
Yep, what ptcruisersteve said, please provide the part number. Your invoice should have the detailed part numbers of what was installed. Please provide the part number of the radiator as I'm going through a radiator replacement on my PT and I would be curious to know what they installed in your PT.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2017, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 37
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

Were your overheating issues fully resolved? Update please.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2017, 02:07 pm
Wolfman01's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPTOwner View Post
Ok here's an update. Dealer had the card for 2 days. They said the head has no leaks and no cracks. It's not warped. They did tell me they put on "a compatible but not exactly your cars" radiator. I said "WTF does that mean?". I was told my radiator they put on has a "intergrated transmission cooler" on it and that my 2006 model has a separate trans cooler. But it "shouldn't" cause a problem. I want to know if this is true or if I'm getting the run around. I've never heard of a such a thing especially from a DEALER.

Also new symptom today while driving home. Temp gauges rises VERY slowly. Then settles just a little over 1/2 mark. If I go highway, it goes below. If i go under 35 mph it goes up to 3/4 mark. Fans are on, full on coolant, just temp gauge is all over since i got it back.

They've already ordered me a new Radiator but it doesn't show up until Monday. I'm at my automotive knowledge limit at this point.
The radiator is no big deal. I bought one for mine and it also has the provision for the transmission cooler built into the radiator. Mine has the separate cooler like yours. This is not uncommon as orphaned vehicle age. Replacement parts are pared down to what will fit any application. This is no exception.

I have some variance in where my temp gauge rests, but not a whole lot. Mine will sit roughtly 2/3 f the way up to the middle mark, and drift up to the middle under heavy load, then slowly drift down to the original point.

Being slow to rise may indicate a sticking thermostat, and it may be sticking partially shut which would play into seeing it rise 3/4 up the gauge. If your vehicle has passed every other test, then you're down to that thermostat.
__________________
2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss (22k)
2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2017, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 26
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

Have you tried running it with a spill proof funnel attached to the radiator? This way you will be able to have maximum fill and hopefully remove any air that may be trapped in the cooling system. This also allows you to see if thermostat and water pump are working.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2017, 04:24 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 34
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

Ok sorry for the long delay. The car is now randomly getting "Hot" after a period of driving it from 15 -25 mins on the dot. No exceptions. The radiator change out didn't do anything. The temp gauge will stay super lower and then rapiidly rise to 1/2 way. It will stay there for 5-10 mins, then out of no where go to 3/4 and up until the temp warning signal comes on. I've even had my Heat , AC, and I heard the fans completely shut off. I am at a complete loss. Is there anything else, maybe a sensor that's not working correctly? Water pump, thermostat, rad fan, all working up until 25 mins. Everytime I turn off the car , in the over flow I get a "gurgling" sound but it never spills out on the road. Also when I opened the car up tonight to check the coolant level.... I saw this.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

That is NOT supposed to be there. Those are the fan relays. The only people working on the car at this point is the Dealer as no one else can figure out what the problem is. I'm going back tomorrrow to complain about the fan relays big time. They should not be there and I have no clue why they did that.

I'll get my invoice / receipt out and see what the parts numbers are. I'm not gonna sink any more money into this. It's been going on 5-6 weeks now and nothing has gotten better. Does anyone have any kind of what could cause a random heating issues like I'm having? There's no way the TIPM could cause problems?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2017, 06:40 am
Wolfman01's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

It's unfortunate that you don't live near me. I'd love to get a crack at this.

If your fans are cycling and you are hearing the gurgling noise in the expansion tank when the needle is high, your sensors are fine.

My issues with dealers these days are that if it doesn't throw a code, they're guessing. This is proper mechanics work right here, and they have to think and troubleshoot - an uncommon thing in most shops.
__________________
2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss (22k)
2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2017, 06:52 am
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

That's totally unacceptable that the fan relays were left in this condition



They might have been put there when they did the troubleshooting, but should have been put back in the correct place (mounted on the fan) when they were done. When you go back to the dealership, you need to go straight to at least their Service Manager, or Dealership General Manager, to bring it to their attention.

Who replaced the fan? When they replaced the fan, was the complete fan assembly (fan, relays and harness) replaced or just the fan?

When the fan was replaced on my PT, the shop replaced just the fan and relays (no harness). About a week later the high speed stopped working again. When I took it back to the shop, they discovered that the fan plug to the main wiring harness had a melted connector. They had to get another fan assembly to get the wire harness and all has been fine since. Your PT could have the same issue if they just replaced the fan assembly. But how yours was given back to you should not have happened.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 34
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman01 View Post
It's unfortunate that you don't live near me. I'd love to get a crack at this.

If your fans are cycling and you are hearing the gurgling noise in the expansion tank when the needle is high, your sensors are fine.

My issues with dealers these days are that if it doesn't throw a code, they're guessing. This is proper mechanics work right here, and they have to think and troubleshoot - an uncommon thing in most shops.
Come to Cincinnati! You can have at it all you want! I'm completely out of ideas oh what's wrong. Dealer can't seem to fix it, only other option around here is Midas and Car X which is $$$$$$ for anything and they said "we'd have to just guess and throw parts at it."
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:07 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 34
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That's totally unacceptable that the fan relays were left in this condition



They might have been put there when they did the troubleshooting, but should have been put back in the correct place (mounted on the fan) when they were done. When you go back to the dealership, you need to go straight to at least their Service Manager, or Dealership General Manager, to bring it to their attention.

Who replaced the fan? When they replaced the fan, was the complete fan assembly (fan, relays and harness) replaced or just the fan?



When the fan was replaced on my PT, the shop replaced just the fan and relays (no harness). About a week later the high speed stopped working again. When I took it back to the shop, they discovered that the fan plug to the main wiring harness had a melted connector. They had to get another fan assembly to get the wire harness and all has been fine since. Your PT could have the same issue if they just replaced the fan assembly. But how yours was given back to you should not have happened.
Ok Dealer replaced everything. Fan, Relays, and Harness. Said all connectors were fine. The relays were put on "top" because the first set failed. They wanted to see if they were being overheated or not. I asked them to put it back where they belong. The apologized they had forgotten.

New symptom thought! So they replaced Thermostat and temp sensor just to see if it changed anything. Well for 12 days the car did not run hot or over heat. HOWEVER every time i ran it for more than 30 mins , it would once again "gurgle" and throw coolant into the overflow. After 12 days it ran extremely hot and set off the warning but did not overheat. Threw out all of the coolant AGAIN.

So i filled it up 100% so there's not any air at all in the lines. It hasn't done anything yet however it is still throwing a little bit of coolant into the overflow after 30 mins of driving.

Anyone have a guess as to wtf is going on ? I've already begun car shopping as this has been so stressful that I don't want to spend another cent on this car unless anyone has a concrete idea what the problem actually is.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,493
Default Re: 2006 PT Overheating issues

I would suggest doing a block test if everything else checks out good.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 03 Jul 2017 at 09:57 am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, overheating engine, overheating problems


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overheating and Other Issues deprivedwriter Tech & Performance Forum 8 16 Aug 2015 03:31 pm
Overheating issues SamanthaB Tech & Performance Forum 5 13 Apr 2014 09:00 am
overheating issues - again :( Garya1682 Europe PT Forum 12 02 Aug 2013 02:14 am
Overheating issues jkdrummer Tech & Performance Forum 3 25 Jun 2012 09:36 pm
My PT is overheating and now other issues ptcruising Tech & Performance Forum 4 10 May 2012 10:56 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors