Advertisements
"new" seats for SOOO BIG

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2017, 02:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default "new" seats for SOOO BIG

A HEART WARMING SUCCESS STORY. The salvage yard Gods were smiling on me and Sunday we found that elusive little old lady 2001 PT Cruiser that had only been driven to church. It probably died a sudden death without any pain because of an age related engine failure.

We got the driver's seat, passenger seat and the bigger back seat split out but the release pull for the little seat was busted. That bugger just wouldn't open to lift it out. I got smart and found another a second 2001 PT hatchback with the same color seats. We took that one out and bought the whole kabodle only to find out under my living room light that the leather didn't match. The leather was shinny instead of the slight grain on the others! No biggy to any one but SOOO BIG.

That night I had as epiphany and figured the only way to get that little bugger out was to remove that last of four 15mm. bolts holding the double hold down bar in place. We'd taken the other three out Sunday but it still wouldn't budge! The remaining 15mm bolt was still buried under the seat, under a plastic cover that I'd had no success removing Sunday. The epiphany told me to take a hack saw blade and my gigantic vise grips, cut that bugger down to size and snatch it out with the vise grips.

It might have been a long shot but we went back to LKQ. paid out six bucks the next day and I followed the commands of the salvage yard Gods and did that. I worried that plastic cover and after a half hour of hack saw blade work it came out as I'd epiphanyed. I pinched that plastic with my trusty gigantic vise grips. It fought me tooth and nail. I bloodied my knuckle but finally it came out and I flew back a foot with the trophy plastic held high in triumph! With a flash light I could just see that 15mm bolt head down in the recesses of it's hidey hole.

The epiphany had also told be to bring my trusty off set 15mm wrenches, closed and open. I carefully maneuvered the closed, off set 15mm wrench in there blind and "first shot" it settled right on the head of the hidden 15mm bolt. My buddy Stephen, who can probably bench press 450lbs was on that wrench like stink on you know what. He over came the torque and backed it loose. There was no room for the bolt to come up but with the open ended, off set 15mm wrench he slowly flipping it from side to side for purchase on that elusive bolt head till he turned it out while lifting the seat a bit at a time till it "was free at last".

We'd really devastated all the other plastic stuff on that little seat the day before but another PT Cruiser clunker gave it all up including a good release cable, lever and locking mechanism. We suffered the occasional bloody knuckle during the event but that's just homage to the salvage Gods.

LKQ. kindly swapped out the little seats, no charge but for the "looking fee".

Theses seats are purely beautiful, all Taupe Grey with the texture contrast between the suede, leather and vinyl. SOOO BIG has seen the photos and he's excited! I just figure that suede will be cool in the Summer and warm in Winter. $158 out the door. Passenger seat base with a second passenger seat drawer slide assembly (if anyone needs it), and the two side air bags included with the costs of the "new" seats! It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I've been looking for them for months! Can I have another YAHOO!

As an aside, whats the proper care and feeding to spiff up and maintain the suede and leather. Probably two really different procedures. I've got them ready to go in, waiting for some help. As you can see, to keep the costs down, I didn't buy the driver's seat electrics so that has to be swapped with the other driver's seat. Get-er-done. No biggy!

I figure SOOO BIG can keep his official W.P. Chrysler signature series badges because he still has all the other stuff but the seats!

Happy PT', ptprice

IMG_1527 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1528 (640x480).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 23 May 2017 at 06:38 pm.
Old 23 May 2017, 02:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: "new" seats for SOOO BIG

Congratulations. I hope one day to find a better interior, front seats. Mostly, for my 02 Dream.
Old 23 May 2017, 04:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: "new" seats for SOOO BIG

Congrats on the find, perseverance pays off. Those seats look to be in fantastic condition.