Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I need a timely "how to" for swapping out front side air bag seats on SOOO BIG

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2017, 05:37 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default I need a timely "how to" for swapping out front side air bag seats on SOOO BIG

I need "timely" answers by Thursday evening! Friday's the big day! We're going to swap out the seats on SOOO BIG. Both sets are with front seats that have side air bags and have the same yellow air bag plugs. You can see one of those a fore mentioned yellow air bag plugs in the photo attached of the "new" front seats! I'm working on the assumption that as both sets, having the same type yellow air bag plugs, and are first generation pre 2006, "the "new" seats are compatible with SOOO BIG". . . . (1)"Am I right in that respect"? . . . I don't want SOOO BIG rejecting the "new" seats by blowing them up! He can be cranky if I don't do something right!

SOOO BIG's original seats are 2005 (they're already spoken for and will be picked up on Saturday. I don't want them to be a ragged bunch of blown up upholstery and neither does the hog man!!)

I don't want to blow up the "new" replacement seats either. They're a set of pristine 2001 PT seats that came from a 2001 PT a little old lady only drove to church. I was lucky enough to find the "new" seats at our Daytona LKQ yard for a great price. Obviously that LKQ yard PT had no battery in it! So I was safe there!

Previous advise has warned me to disconnect the battery first. I'll be doing that for sure!

(2)"Are certain things to be done in a proper order before hooking the battery back up or right after"? . . . (3)"Are there assured ways of configuration or reconfiguration procedures to be done before or after the battery disconnect"? . . .(4)"Should we do the seats one at a time? Disconnect battery, remove, install and reconnect battery or is it best to do both at the same time"? . . . That's four questionsin all. I just want to be sure I'm covering everything!

I don't want to screw this up! These "new" seats are too nice to ruin! I don't want either set blowing up in our faces! I'm an old school, pre air bag putzer that's going where he hasn't gone before so I'll need some good advise before Friday, May 26th. I hope all the PT experts I've come to depended on will come through with good advise.
Please advise. Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1528 (640x480).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 24 May 2017 at 06:58 am. Reason: added the word "timely" because I need the information by Friday the26th
Old 24 May 2017, 08:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: I need a timely "how to" for swapping out front side air bag seats on SOOO BIG

I'll throw in my two cents worth. I would treat it just as I would if I was disconnecting the airbag in the dash or steering wheel. Remove the negative battery cable, wait at least 30 minutes, then disconnect and swap them out. IMO there would not be any difference between the 2001 and 2005.

It'll be FINE!!!

This is my opinion from my side of the computer. In the end you are the one wearing body armor with helmet and face shield doing the job.
ptprice likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 24 May 2017, 09:15 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: I need a timely "how to" for swapping out front side air bag seats on SOOO BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
I'll throw in my two cents worth. I would treat it just as I would if I was disconnecting the airbag in the dash or steering wheel. Remove the negative battery cable, wait at least 30 minutes, then disconnect and swap them out. IMO there would not be any difference between the 2001 and 2005.

It'll be FINE!!!

This is my opinion from my side of the computer. In the end you are the one wearing body armor with helmet and face shield doing the job.
Thanks, I appreciate the good advise from an early PT riser. you must have gotten up before the rooster!

As an aside, I noticed this morning that the center seat belt that's built into the 70% "new" rear seat wouldn't deploy. Wouldn't pull out. Not trusting my first intuition to tear it all apart, I reached for my trusty owners manual and read that is a safety device. That center seat belt won't deploy until the rear 70% seat back is fully engaged and the electrical safety system recognizes that and releases the seat belt. Who woulda known. I'm becoming a much more patient putzer with SOOO BIG.

Please keep those answers to my simple side air bag questions coming in. I don't have body armor!

Thanks for the advise.
Happy PTin',ptprice
VsandFords likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 24 May 2017 at 12:59 pm.
Old 24 May 2017, 09:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'll second the gentleman from Texas! Disconnect battery, wait 30 minutes, and go to it. Last step is to reconnect battery, so if it blows (which it won't) you'll be outside anyway...

You got this!!!
ptprice and VsandFords like this.
Old 24 May 2017, 09:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Out of curiosity, where does the name "SOOO BIG" come from? I call my PT big red.
ptprice likes this.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 92k
NRS brakes and energy suspension bushings
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters
Old 24 May 2017, 01:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

SOOO BIG is named after a full house VW Bug chopper I modified and drove on and off road in the 70's called SOO BIG with and earlier thumb and finger icon. I gave it that name because it was a giant killer. I had to change the name of my PT to SOOO BIG because SOO BIG was already taken as a Florida vanity plate. I'm having as much fun with SOOO BIG as I did SOO BIG.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original SOO BIG (640x387).jpg (36.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SOO BIG ICON (469x640).jpg (47.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg The original SOO BIG (544x368).jpg (34.8 KB, 25 views)
JonN likes this.

Last edited by ptprice; 24 May 2017 at 08:20 pm.
Old 24 May 2017, 01:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
SOOO BIG is named after a full house VW Bug chopper I modified and drove on and off road in the 70's called SOO BIG with an earlier finger and thumb icon. I gave it that name because it was a giant killer! I had to change the name of my PT to SOOO BIG because SOO BIG was already taken as a Florida Vanity plate. I'm having as much fun with SOOO BIG as I did in SOO BIG

Happy PTin', ptprice

Attachment 22248

Attachment 22249

Attachment 22250
Very interesting read. Looks like you had a fun time in SOO BIG way back then and it appears SOOO BIG is treating you just the same.
vermontpetey and ptprice like this.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 92k
NRS brakes and energy suspension bushings
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters
Old 24 May 2017, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I call my PT the Perfect Turd. Because it can be from time to time.
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 May 2017, 08:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post

It'll be FINE!!!

I'll gladly do that thirty minute wait as it's the consensus opinion, but just why is there a thirty minute wait after the negative battery post is disconnected? That's just enough time for me to cool off with a Yuengling's Black and Tan, but surely that's not the reason!
Please advise, Happy PTin', ptprice
vermontpetey likes this.

Last edited by ptprice; 24 May 2017 at 08:35 pm.
Old 25 May 2017, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That just assures the capacitor has fully discharged, Price. I don't know if it actually takes that long, but better safe than sorry. And I could drink several of those in 30 minutes!
vermontpetey and ptprice like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.