• 1 Post By Chevman
  • 2 Post By JoeX
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By VsandFords

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2017, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 pt overheating no fan

Hey guys I'm new here hoping someone has an answer. ... my daughters 06 pt cruiser 2.4 non turbo is overheating and no fan won't run at all. Here's what I have done so far..replaced new fan .replaced new temperature sensor. 2 new relays. Replace 50 amp fuse.removed pdc and checked for corrosion nice and clean underneath. She has 5 volts at the temp sensor.power at fan hi and low jumped from battery.hi and low if I jump from relay plug. If she turns on her ac there is no fan either. There's good ground on both sides of the fan plug but no power 12 volts going to fan at all. But I did notice pulsing on off power to relays with my positive and negative test light.why won't the relays switch to send power to her fan? Why does she have pulsing power to her relays should the not be solid 12v power in? I'm lost and ready to buy her a new gm car and run hers off a cliff soon. Please help me fix her car and save me from loaning her my car lol.thx guys.
Old 26 May 2017, 06:06 pm
Banned

Default Re: 06 pt overheating no fan

Welcome to the forum

When you replaced the fan, did you get a fan assembly that included the small section of wiring harness from the relays to the main harness?

If not, and you used the old wiring harness, check the connector where it plugs into the the main wiring harness for a melted/damaged connector, it could be that it's not making a complete connection.

Please go the Welcome New PT Cruiser Members section and introduce yourself and tell us about your PT
Chevman likes this.
Old 26 May 2017, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevman View Post
Hey guys I'm new here hoping someone has an answer. ... my daughters 06 pt cruiser 2.4 non turbo is overheating and no fan won't run at all. Here's what I have done so far..replaced new fan .replaced new temperature sensor. 2 new relays. Replace 50 amp fuse.removed pdc and checked for corrosion nice and clean underneath. She has 5 volts at the temp sensor.power at fan hi and low jumped from battery.hi and low if I jump from relay plug. If she turns on her ac there is no fan either. There's good ground on both sides of the fan plug but no power 12 volts going to fan at all. But I did notice pulsing on off power to relays with my positive and negative test light.why won't the relays switch to send power to her fan? Why does she have pulsing power to her relays should the not be solid 12v power in? I'm lost and ready to buy her a new gm car and run hers off a cliff soon. Please help me fix her car and save me from loaning her my car lol.thx guys.
2007 Radiator Fan Circuit with A_C.jpg

Does your Pt Cruiser have the TIPM?

Is the 50 amp fuse you checked on fuse #15?
The new kinds of fuses can look fine in their slot, you have to pull them out and hold them up to the light to see that they have burned out or check it with an ohm meter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007 Radiator Fan Circuit.jpg (7.1 KB, 4 views)
Chevman likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 May 2017 at 08:00 pm.
Old 28 May 2017, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys here's an update. After lots of time of thinking about a simple test that I have never read about or seen on any post of the dreadful overheating issue with these PTS I realized there should be 12v positive power at the relay all the time solid when key is turned on. Yes the simple tests that get over looked sometimes. After testing the 50a fuse in the fuse box under the hood and verifying it was good I then pulled the box right out and tested the solid red with black stripe wire below. Yes this tested good as well.lol. BUT this same wire goes directly to the 4 pin plug below the rad fan that plugs in and goes to both relays. So I removed the plug and tested the red with black stripe wire and bingo no power. I then located the issue beeing directly between the 4 pin plug and bottom of the fuse box. I then started to back probe every 6 inches till I found power in that wire.well low and behold if there wasn't 6 different breaks all corrosion btw in that wire.pics to follow. NOW to get to this wire I had to remove the drivers headlight and battery and battery tray as this is the only way to get to this harness and repair. I opened up the whole wire loom and cut off all the tape to expose the wires then completely replaced the red with black stripe right from the plug to about 18 inches from the fuse box.then I soldered the wires and put on heat shrink tubing and reassembled the loom and reaped back together. Tested and works great. NOW why they corroded in the harness is beyond me and in 6 places all just inches apart is beyond me. But I hope this is a help to someone and can maybe be the fix for many other PT owners that did what I did and replaced all the simple obvious things and are still scratching there heads.here are a few pics of the wiring back together. Feel free to email me if anyone has any questions.thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170528_101135.jpg (89.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20170528_101259.jpg (98.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170528_101215.jpg (103.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170528_101339.jpg (97.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20170528_101348.jpg (88.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170528_101403.jpg (92.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20170528_101420.jpg (93.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 28 May 2017, 09:55 am
Banned

Wow, that is odd that the wire would corrode in the middle of the loom like that

Just curious, what part of the country do you live in? And what part of the country did your PT spend most of it's life?

Glad to hear that you got the problem fixed
Old 28 May 2017, 11:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

I live in Canada just north of ottawa. The cars life was all here.
rckstein likes this.
Old 28 May 2017, 11:38 am
Senior Cruiser

In one of the picture it looked like the harness had been rubbing the metal opening and paint was missing. Might want to get a piece of radiator hose and use it as a gromit on the sharp edges.
LionPT and Chevman like this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 29 May 2017, 06:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Kudos to you for your tenacity and sharing the repair. Maybe a combination of road salt and vapors from the battery seeped in and caused the corrosion?
Chevman likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 May 2017, 07:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

That took a little time. Good catch. Glad the Cruiser is repaired and up and running.
Chevman likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 29 May 2017, 09:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
NOW why they corroded in the harness is beyond me and in 6 places all just inches apart is beyond me.
Propeller hat on.
Water has a very high surface tension meaning it likes to stick to itself. If there is a path for water to get between the strands of the copper wire, it will wick itself up as far as it can go until the surface tension is overcome by the spacing between the strands which can be the entire length of the wire. If you have a nick in the wire or water was able to get into the connector, it will wick itself up and eventually corrode the copper as long as there is a source of water to get through the opening.
Propeller hat off.

Glad you found the problem and hopefully you eliminated the cause of the corrosion.

Thank you for posting the solution.