• 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 2 Post By bubba_1952

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2017, 09:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default SOOO BIG's "new" seats

Well the day finally came for SOOO BIG's new seat install. I'd got them all cleaned up in the apartment. You know, a solution of bit Dawn dish wash solution and water used gently on suede cleans it up like new. I guess if they can use it on oily birds it's got to be good on suede. It is!

I didn't guess on this. One of the upholstery experts I'd contacted the week before advised me on this. Spread the soapy solution on, heavier on the bad spots, wait 10 minutes, then gently work it in with a soft terry wash cloth, concentrating on the bad spots, then sponge it out in one direction with clear water till the soapy solution is gone. Do it over if necessary till the suede is clean. When dried it looked like new! I'm a believer!

I started by disconnecting the negative post on battery and got out my timer to determine when I should disconnect the front seat side air bag plugs. Relative to the 30 minute wait instructions I was going on. My timer was a few bottles of Yuengings Black and Tan.

Now I'm sitting there on the grass leaning in to look at the floor bolts I was about to remove from the seats while sipping on my timer.

Who passes by but two Ormond Beach bike patrol policemen who stopped and expressed a bit of curiosity? "Was I alright? Your not going to drink and drive are you? Whatcha doin'? Is this your car"?

They parked their bikes, strolled over and I offered them both a timer, they declined, and I explained what I'd decided to use the beer for. One bottle was good for 15 minutes, two would be the required 30 minutes. I was waiting for the capacitor to discharge before I removed the Side air bag plugs.

The senior patrol man, well versed in all thing mechanical said, "Hell, that capacitor powers down in a few seconds. A minute or two at best". Go ahead and unplug 'em"

"You go head" I said, "you've got the body armor on"!

"OK" he said, "It looks like you're about done with that first beer. Finish it off and I'll unplug 'em for you"

So I'd, he did, nothing exploded, I didn't have to drink another early morning beer and the rest is history, including figuring out how to put a drawer under the driver's seat.

Here's a couple of photos of SOOO BIG's "new" seats. Including one with SOOO BIG stripped down to the carpet.

2001 PREMIUM DARK TAUPE GREY. SUEDE LEATHER TRIM. WITH DRAWERS UNDER BOTH FRONT SEATS.

I really lucked out in finding this set of seats at our local Daytona LKQ yard. $158 out the door is truly a bargain. Whatdaya think?

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1536 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1539 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1540 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1541 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1542 (480x640).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 27 May 2017, 05:57 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: SOOO BIG's "new" seats

Now that I've got these really neat seats, I want to keep the leather in good shape. Any recommendations? As I mentioned Dawn Dish washing Solution worked well to restore the suede.

Any suggestions on what might be good to use on the leather to restore and preserve it?. . . Or is it even necessary? . . .I've never checked stuff like this out before.

I saw some pricie dedicated leather products at AutoZone yesterday. There were lots brands and a lot of of choices. At the front of the shelf was a selection of Armour All leather care protectant in a spray bottle, wipes or gel and Armour All Outlast Leather Restorer. There were lots of other brands too. Does this stuff work? If so what's best and what's cheapest?

A remarkably small area of each seat is actually leather. The leather just comprises the center sections. The very front and top surfaces of the seats are suede panels. The sides are vinyl but match the leather perfectly in color and grain. The backs of the front bucket seats of this very early, 2001 set of seats are really much nicer than later years, having a carpet insert and a utility elastic mesh for storage of small items. Chrysler probably cut back on this feature for production costs reasons. It is a nice feature.

I like the look of the solid Dark Taupe grey color through out the seats. It's consistent through all three mediums and there's a nice contrast in textures between the suede and leather. The dark Grey Taupe matches the other areas of the interior too. SOOO BIG likes them too! He's a Happy PT'. Please advise. ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 27 May 2017, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

I've never used anything on the seats except a damp cloth to clean up any spills over the years. They still look very good. I suppose you could use any leather cleaner on them. Didn't know dawn would be a good cleaner for the suede, I 'll have to remember that my next interior clean.
Old 27 May 2017, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I thought you got rid of the leather seats, Price. Why would you be concerned about how to clean them up and take care of them now?
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 May 2017, 08:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Looks great!!!
Old 30 May 2017, 03:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: SOOO BIG's "new" seats

looks good!

I would look into leather care products from Meguiars or Mothers or 303.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 30 May 2017, 05:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I thought you got rid of the leather seats, Price. Why would you be concerned about how to clean them up and take care of them now?
Chuzz, If you read on further and look at the photos you'll discover I was able to acquire a "new" set of 2001 suede /leather trimmed seats at our local LKQ in literally pristine condition. As the suede portion of the seats is much cooler in the summer they'll suffice for my acceptability of leather. Neat, huh? SOOO BIG likes 'em too!

Happy PTin', ptprice
vermontpetey likes this.
Old 31 May 2017, 06:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry about that, Price. I thought you'd just gotten the fabric type seats, like most of us "common folk" have! Back in the day when I had leather in my 84 Laser XE Turbo, I just used saddle soap and a soft cloth. Kept them clean, soft and supple.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 31 May 2017, 01:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hi Price, SOOO Big is sporting his new duds in style my man. Those seats are looking so good. I wanted to throw a monkey wrench into your plans if you want to ponder something or know someone who might have the idea to do the upgrades. I have a custom hood(hood is now cranberry pearl), side skirts(now silver), front bumper spoiler(brand new), custom rear spoiler(brand new), led side mirrors(brand new), and rear fender spats(now silver) for a truly custom upgrade for someone wanting to step into the future with their Cruiser. Bear in mind these all would have to be painted to match the car they are being installed on. I am not going to be able to use them on my car as I had planned due to my health and medical bills and they are just sitting in my son's storage building waiting for their next owner. These upgrades will truly transform a cruiser into a game changer for someone. I would offer them to someone for $500 for a package price if someone wanted to make the trip to Leesburg, Ga to pick them up as they would be to costly to ship them to someone.

5DEC2890-CED4-4011-9270-00EC75F80EEA.jpg

$_5997.jpg

71NFXYLD5QL._SL1500_.jpg

Ram Air hood.jpg

Lot 7.jpg

PT AIRWING.jpg

ptkit3qtrrrlowresolution_zpsmmbtlmse11.jpg

Lot 8.jpg

20140424_174720.jpg

2004 Limited Edition Platinum Series Dark Graphite Metallic Clearcoat Turbolight A/T
Old 31 May 2017, 02:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

[QUOTE=ptprice;655163]
Any suggestions on what might be good to use on the leather to restore and preserve it?. . . Or is it even necessary? . . .I've never checked stuff like this out before.
ptprice[/QUOTE

Nice looking seats.

I have used the Lexol leather product for many years now and have no complaints.
No doubt that there are other good products for this purpose as well.

I believe at one time Lexol was Jaguar recommended.
I have the Lexol - Where is my Jag?