PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lumpy Idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2017, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lumpy Idle

Hello all:

I could use a little help here. I am new to PT Cruisers, having just bought an '05 Touring with 39k miles. I"ve studies up here on the site, introduced myself, and done a lot of reading. Here's the issue.

No error codes, but a lumpy idle. I've done all of the basics, thrown a new PCV valve and hose at it, the latter had a crack. Cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve. Pulled the intake manifold and replaced the plugs with OEM Champions. Replaced the plug wires, and even replaced the coil pack. I figured that on a 12 year old car with an unknown service history, it could not hurt.

But my idle is still lumpy. Now, I've also never pulled an intake manifold before, that I recall anyway, and there is unspent gas on the inside and outside of the blue gaskets. It smells of gas (only once the intake manifold is loosened up, not when in place. Is that normal or a sign of too rich mixture?

I'm at about the end of the DIY things I can think of to fix this. The only thing I haven't done that I heard may be the culprit is to change all of the intake and injector gaskets/o rings.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 29 May 2017, 10:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Lumpy Idle

Throw a bottle Beeryman B-12 Chemtool in the tank...might be a clogged injector.
Info says 1 can per full tank, but you can add full bottle to 1/2 a tank without any problems. You should notice a difference pretty fast, add another can once you need gas again.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 29 May 2017, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I'll try that! Mine's exactly the same as yours. Cool Vanilla with the same wheel covers.

BTW, I tried Chevron Techron early on but no difference. I'll give Berryman's a try.
Old 29 May 2017, 01:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colint View Post
Hello all:

I could use a little help here. I am new to PT Cruisers, having just bought an '05 Touring with 39k miles. I"ve studies up here on the site, introduced myself, and done a lot of reading. Here's the issue.

No error codes, but a lumpy idle. I've done all of the basics, thrown a new PCV valve and hose at it, the latter had a crack. Cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve. Pulled the intake manifold and replaced the plugs with OEM Champions. Replaced the plug wires, and even replaced the coil pack. I figured that on a 12 year old car with an unknown service history, it could not hurt.

But my idle is still lumpy. Now, I've also never pulled an intake manifold before, that I recall anyway, and there is unspent gas on the inside and outside of the blue gaskets. It smells of gas (only once the intake manifold is loosened up, not when in place. Is that normal or a sign of too rich mixture?

I'm at about the end of the DIY things I can think of to fix this. The only thing I haven't done that I heard may be the culprit is to change all of the intake and injector gaskets/o rings.

Thanks in advance for your help.
These items below can cause a bad idle.

Bad upper Strut
Bad lower Strut
Bad lower engine mount
Leaking intake seal
Dirty TB
IAC not working properly
PCM issues
Bad battery
MAP not working properly
Spark Plugs needs replacing
Ignition cables needs replacing
Bad F/I connector needs to be checked
Fuel injectors not working properly
Broken or cracked intake hoses
Poor gas quality or added secret fluid
Dirty Air Filter

I would start with a battery load test and check your air filter with no engine trouble codes.

Is your idle lumpy all the time or random?
Old 29 May 2017, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

"Is your idle lumpy all the time or random?"

It's all the time, at idle, after warm up. As soon as the idle drops to @850 rpm. On a cold start, when it naturally idles higher, it's ok. BTW, I forgot to mention, air filter is new, have not checked battery. It cranks just fine, even after a week or so of sitting, but I haven't load tested it. I'll do that next.

Already put a can of Berryman's B12 in it on top of a 1/2 tank of gas. We'll see over the next few days. I'll check in again soon. Thx again!
Old 29 May 2017, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colint View Post
"Is your idle lumpy all the time or random?"

It's all the time, at idle, after warm up. As soon as the idle drops to @850 rpm. On a cold start, when it naturally idles higher, it's ok. BTW, I forgot to mention, air filter is new, have not checked battery. It cranks just fine, even after a week or so of sitting, but I haven't load tested it. I'll do that next.

Already put a can of Berryman's B12 in it on top of a 1/2 tank of gas. We'll see over the next few days. I'll check in again soon. Thx again!
Is the idle rougher at an idle with the A/C on? The radiator fan can put stress on the idle if it is not working properly but usually its much worse when you turn the A/C on.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Is the idle rougher at an idle with the A/C on? The radiator fan can put stress on the idle if it is not working properly but usually its much worse when you turn the A/C on.
I haven't noticed it being worse with the AC on.
Old 29 May 2017, 09:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do you have it on defrost? The ac runs when in defrost mode.
Old 30 May 2017, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's the same with ac or defrost or without either. Just lumpy.