PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Burning smell, steering wheel shakes

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2017, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Burning smell, steering wheel shakes

I have an 08 manual transmission PT Cruiser, 85k miles.

Yesterday driving home from work my steering wheel was mildly shaking, as if a tire is out of balance. I pulled over to see if I had a flat tire, which I did not. I noticed a significant burning smell. I drove the car again, and let it coast. When coasting, it felt as if something were catching at a portion of each revolution of the wheels, sort of like when a brake pad on a bicycle catches on a bent portion of the bicycle wheel rim.

I drove slowly and the buning smell continued, and the car just didn't feel right.

I took it to a tire store, and they said they drove it for 30 minutes today and found no problems. They said I could replace the rotors and calipers as the rotors are worn down, but that this may not be the problem.

I don't want to invest in the rotors and calipers, should I just keep driving it and see how it goes, or take to another shop for second look?

Thanks for any replies
Old 01 Jun 2017, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Burning smell, steering wheel shakes

From what you described this could be anything from a collapsed rubber brake hose to a bad wheel bearing. Don't let a shop just default to brakes, calipers and rotors because the shop you went to can't find the problem.

You likely need to take your PT somewhere else where they can do a better job of diagnosing your issue. And yes, sometimes these problems come and go. But a good mechanic can likely find the issue.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking to make sure your CV booths are not leaking. If they are leaking they can start burning on the rotors.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 05:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Usually I just get out and spit on the wheels. The one that instantly boils is the one to check out.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should have ittaken care of immediately as it can be a safetyissue.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I took it to another mechanic who said that as the weather heats up the (i may have some of this wrong) line that feeds the brake is altered or melted and causes the brake to apply to the right front wheel. He said when it happens to stop the car and let it cool down for about 20 minutes. He recommends a fix that costs about $350, I don't recall exactly what the fix is, but something like a caliper fix and associated parts (I think new pads were included). He said it will probably continue to happen. Does that price sound good?
Old 02 Jun 2017, 06:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Steer clear of that clown. A brake hose is probably all he's going to replace and MAYBE remove the caliper guide pins and clean and lube them. Most of your auto parts stores sell them in the $20-$25 range. Do it yourself and save!!!!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

I wonder why he wants to replace more than just the hose?
Old 02 Jun 2017, 07:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Steer clear of that clown. A brake hose is probably all he's going to replace and MAYBE remove the caliper guide pins and clean and lube them. Most of your auto parts stores sell them in the $20-$25 range. Do it yourself and save!!!!
I am not sure why you are calling the guy a clown. The OP is obviously not much of DIY'er. Their original mechanic didn't even suggest the brake hose and wanted to do a full brake job (rotors/calipers) without mentioning the hose which seems the most likely cause.

Plenty of shops aren't going to want to do a brake hose and then put beat up pads back on and a reluctant owner isn't so likely to do a great job. A brake hose is a fairly easy DIY, but if the OP isn't interested in reading up, do you think that bleeding the brakes and setting the calipers up is going to be that easy for them?
creflo likes this.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I am not sure why you are calling the guy a clown. The OP is obviously not much of DIY'er. Their original mechanic didn't even suggest the brake hose and wanted to do a full brake job (rotors/calipers) without mentioning the hose which seems the most likely cause.

Plenty of shops aren't going to want to do a brake hose and then put beat up pads back on and a reluctant owner isn't so likely to do a great job. A brake hose is a fairly easy DIY, but if the OP isn't interested in reading up, do you think that bleeding the brakes and setting the calipers up is going to be that easy for them?
I think that Chuzz was just trying to make a statement of how to keep the cost of the repair down even further and not personally attacking the mechanic.
creflo likes this.