Steering racks

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Steering racks

I need to replace the steering rack in my 2006 Limited, manual, non-turbo. Most vendors list several different parts, one of the choices being with or w/o sensor.

Are the racks the same and a matter of including the sensor, or are there 2 different racks? How do I determine if I have/need the rack that comes with the sensor or the other one? Thx.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:40 pm
Banned

Default Re: Steering racks

You can call your local dealership and using the VIN for your PT, they can give you the correct and current part number for the rack. You can then use that MOPAR part number to search online for the rack. They should also be able to tell you if the rack on your PT has the sensor or not.

Or

You can go to your local dealership and give them the VIN for your PT, they can then print the Build Sheet for your PT. This Build Sheet will then give you the 3 letter codes for everything that was installed on your PT when it was built:

This is part of the Build Sheet for my PT:

The Build Sheet above shows that my PT has the "SBA" Rack.

Using this info, I can go to say the RockAuto website and search for the part:

They use the 3 letter code on their website and the correct rack for my PT does not have the sensor.

But the Build Sheet is kind of neat info to have.

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Jun 2017 at 09:34 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

there is a great thread here from our resident wiring expert. he deleted his post while he was understandably angered about a political thread, but i've restored it just for you. you can find it here:

Turning radius data for various PT models

the difference in turning radius's is due to travel limiting spacers installed in the rack(literally cheap, plastic donuts). this was done to limit the amount the wheels turned. they limited the steering a little for fatter auto trans's, they limited the steering more for GT's due to larger rims so they didn't scrape or rub the body/fenders. the 06 was weird with the pressure sensor. most years had it and its purpose was to tell the ECU the PS pump was creating drag so the car could compensate and keep a stable idle speed while under load from the steering pump. some 06's don't have the sensor, so you'll need to either crawl down there and look, or be safe and buy a rack with the sensor, and leave it unhooked.

hope this helps
Old 02 Jun 2017, 11:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Rob, let me see if I understand you correctly. So the racks with and without a sensor are identical except for the sensor. And so I'm safe by getting one with a sensor.

Do I have it right? Also, where exactly is the sensor mounted?
Old 03 Jun 2017, 12:01 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpt View Post
Rob, let me see if I understand you correctly. So the racks with and without a sensor are identical except for the sensor. And so I'm safe by getting one with a sensor.

Do I have it right? Also, where exactly is the sensor mounted?
#4 in this pic:

If you crawl under your PT on the drivers side behind the front wheel, the pressure switch, if the rack has one, will be on the back side of the rack.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Jun 2017 at 12:15 am.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 01:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Excellent, thank you.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 08:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's something that I had never done until last year when I replaced mine. It took me about 5 hours, but I didn't have any help. If I had, I probably could have shaved an hour off because when I put the steering column connector back through the hole in the floorboard, I got it stuck between the carpet and firewall and didn't realize it. Took me damn near an hour to figure out why things weren't lining up for me under the car! TAKE YOUR TIME, if you've never done one before.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.