2008 Ignition Switch Problem

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By magoo28630
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2017, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2008 Ignition Switch Problem

So the car stopped starting, but would start sometimes. Specifically, no signal was being sent to the starter when it wouldn't start. All the electronics come on, the dash lights blink, fuel pump whirs, dinger dings, everything. When I go to turn the key to turn the engine over - nothing happens at all.

I checked out the videos showing the ignition switch, actuator, and tumbler barrel. Looks easy enough. Nope. The orientation of the equipment on the steering shaft doesn't look much like any of the videos I can find. So I dig in anyway to see if I can find what's wrong. Here's what it looks like:

This is the underside of the tumbler barrel. You can see that there are no visible places to push a pin to remove it and no removable access panels. I guess that's not coming out.

Sorry for the blurry photo. This is looking across the underside of the column with the adjustment lever in the lower left next to the ignition switch above it and the tumbler barrel on the far side.

The female part of the ignition switch looked pretty ragged, so I figure that had to be it. I put a new on on and it wouldn't start either. I can take the switch off and use a screwdriver to start the car. The thing is that the actuator looks fine. There's nothing broken or apparently worn on it. And I don't see a way to change it if that were the case. I'm sure it would start if the key turned just a mite farther.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I can take a photo of the end of the actuator and post it later.
Old 05 Jun 2017, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Ignition Switch Problem

I would suggest checking to see if the ignition switch might be faulty. There is not much information on the 2nd generation ignition switch.

The first generation 2000 to 2005 has a common problem with the ignition actuator or pin breaking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken_ignition_actuator.jpg (59.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Jun 2017 at 11:44 am.
Old 05 Jun 2017, 10:35 pm
Young Cruiser

+1 for the broken actuator. Also check for any looseness in the wires on the doodad that actuator goes to. It has been suspect in the past. I\m no expert!
magoo
dougs likes this.
Changed the washer nozzles.
Waiting for the weather to change and Then I will change the timing belt and water pump, Motor Mounts All. Brakes. Bell crank. and I am sure I will find other little things to change.
I love this car! it's the only car I have ever gone looking for. instead of just looking for best used car at the best price. magoo NC
Old 06 Jun 2017, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. My problem is that my actuator doesn't look like that. In fact, I don't see how to get to the actuator that I have. I took a photo of the end of it. It doesn't appear broken. The tabs are metal and integral with the case. The pin is metal. The oval shaft that turns the inside of the switch is also metal.

Old 06 Jun 2017, 09:16 pm
Banned

PiedmontJim likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 20 Aug 2017 at 08:25 pm. Reason: Edited because of NitroPT who wants to control everything on the forum.

Tags
2008, ignition actuator, ignition switch