PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stupid mistake, now won't turn over

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2017, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stupid mistake, now won't turn over

Hello everyone. This is kind of long, so please bear with me. My first problem is that I royally screwed up and connected the battery terminals backwards on my PT Cruiser. It blew a couple of fuses, which I replaced, and then it would not start. I verified with a noid light that there is no power to the injectors; hence, no fuel. If I spray starting fluid in the intake, it will start and run. My thought was the ECM got fried, so I have one of those on the way. Hopefully that will be solved here in a couple of days.

Next issue – I borrowed the ECM from a friend’s PT Cruiser and slaved it into my PT to see if it would start it. It would not start, so I removed it and took it back to her car, and now HER car won’t start either. This is what happened: I put the computer back in my friend’s car, and it started and ran for two seconds and stopped. I started it again, it ran for two seconds, and stopped. It did this again for a third time, and now I cannot get it to even crank. All the lights come on like they should when I turn the key on, all the bells chime when they should, but when I turn the key to start, NOTHING! I have changed fuses, I have changed relays, I have shaken wires, to no avail.

I was wondering if I may have erased the security programming when I swapped computers, but is that really likely to happen?

What are anyone’s thoughts on this problem? Help please . . .
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 01:25 pm
Banned

Default Re: Stupid mistake, now won't turn over

Welcome to the forum

Please include some info on the years and models of PT's you were working on.
wchil1961 likes this.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 02:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

here are links from this site about YOUR problem:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...tery+backwards

HER problem is that she, like me, likely has a black key and no chip. now that you've attached it to your car with a grey key, you've caused that girl quite a problem that i cannot solve, unless she happens to be driving a 2002 PT with a manual trans.

welcome to the forum
wchil1961 likes this.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 02:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome to the forum! You're out of my league but I wish you luck!!! If anyone knows the answer, they are likely to know it here!!!
wchil1961 likes this.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchil1961 View Post
Hello everyone. This is kind of long, so please bear with me. My first problem is that I royally screwed up and connected the battery terminals backwards on my PT Cruiser. It blew a couple of fuses, which I replaced, and then it would not start. I verified with a noid light that there is no power to the injectors; hence, no fuel. If I spray starting fluid in the intake, it will start and run. My thought was the ECM got fried, so I have one of those on the way. Hopefully that will be solved here in a couple of days.

Next issue – I borrowed the ECM from a friend’s PT Cruiser and slaved it into my PT to see if it would start it. It would not start, so I removed it and took it back to her car, and now HER car won’t start either. This is what happened: I put the computer back in my friend’s car, and it started and ran for two seconds and stopped. I started it again, it ran for two seconds, and stopped. It did this again for a third time, and now I cannot get it to even crank. All the lights come on like they should when I turn the key on, all the bells chime when they should, but when I turn the key to start, NOTHING! I have changed fuses, I have changed relays, I have shaken wires, to no avail.

I was wondering if I may have erased the security programming when I swapped computers, but is that really likely to happen?

First, welcome to the forum.

Before we can help much, we need to know the year model and edition of your PT and your friend's PT.

Your friend's car likely will not start because you have triggered the SKIM. You see, the computer (PCM) has the car's VIN flashed into it's memory. This, along with the Sentry key, is checked by the Sentry Key Immobilization Module (SKIM) when you try to start it. It will only start for a couple of seconds and then shut off if the VIN doesn't match in the PCM and/or the SKIM doesn't detect the right sentry key. There should be a red dot flashing on the tachometer when the SKIM does not recognize the right stuff. Only 6 consecutive invalid vehicle start attempts will be permitted. All further invalid attempts are locked out by not firing fuel injectors and not engaging the starter. Only the communication with a valid key is required to permit the engine to start and run.

If the red dot is flashing in your friends car, then the SKIM system has locked out. Make sure your friends PCM is properly installed back in her PT. Then try to start it using her original gray sentry key. If the red dot continues to flash (and you are sure you installed her PCM in her car and not yours), you should then remove both battery cables completely from the battery and then touch them together for about 30 seconds. Then reconnect the two battery cables and try again with her original sentry key. The battery must be fully charged, of course.

And here's one very scary thought. If her PT is a 2001 thru 2005 based model with no factory SKIM system (black keys only), and you installed her PCM in your PT with a SKIM system, you may have just married her PCM to your car. But let's hope that's not the case. Try what I suggested first if the red dot continues to flash in her car as described.

Once you get her car running, we can then worry about yours.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I would suggest trying to reset the SKIM module in your friend's car. I would put a battery charger on the battery, turn on the ignition switch to the "On" position for two (2) hours, turn the ignition switch to the "Off" position, take the battery charger off the battery, and then see if it resets the SKIM.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry everyone, my PT is a 2002, 2.4 w/o turbo, auto trans, and yes, it does have a GRAY key. My friend's PT is a 2002, 2.4 w/o turbo, auto trans, and yes, it DOES have a BLACK key. What happened, ya'll?
Old 06 Jun 2017, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry everyone, my PT is a 2002, 2.4 w/o turbo, auto trans, and yes, it does have a GRAY key. My friend's PT is a 2002, 2.4 w/o turbo, auto trans, and yes, it DOES have a BLACK key. What happened, ya'll?
Is there a little red security light that stays on on the dash between the gauges on your friend's car?
Old 06 Jun 2017, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
So her car uses a black key and your car uses a gray key, and the red dot is flashing in her car while you attempt to start it, right?

You see, many PT Cruiser PCM's are set at the factory to detect and marry themselves to the first SKIM they come across. In cars with no SKIM, the PCM simply never detects one. But if you installs an unmarried PCM into your car with SKIM, there's a chance it then married itself to your SKIM.

If so, before we panic, try ptcruisersteve's method and the method I described to reset the system. Then let us know what happens.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Jun 2017 at 05:52 pm.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 06:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Anyone know if my 02 manual pcm would work in her 02 auto?