PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Has the information here ever helped you help a stranded motorist? Share a story.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By mrwade01
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By JonN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2017, 03:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Has the information here ever helped you help a stranded motorist? Share a story.

I think you should all take a second and give yourself a big pat on the back! This forum has been invaluable in helping me deal with what problems I've had with my Cruiser. I realized this morning that in addition to helping me sort problems out with my car, I've also learned enough along the way to really help out 5 or 6 stranded PT owners over the years, this one being the latest.
Thanks almost entirely to the things that I've learned in my time here in the forum, both as lurker and now more active, I was able to help out a stranded Cruiser user as well as give him some great info to use in tearing into his mechanic! All done and I still got my kids to school on time.
Saw the Cruiser on the berm on I5 with the hood up and some poor 30-somthing guy just sitting there head in hands with his back against the grill. He described what was clearly "limp mode" and said he'd had it in the shop 4 times. I got in, did the "key dance" and got a P0340. I disconnected the battery and when I told him that this would most likely enable him to get his car home, it was pretty clear that he thought I was full of "IT". He even said that there was no way it could be that easy, after having to have it towed 4 times. If there was that simple a way to get the car going, his mechanic would have told him. While giving the OBC a little time to clear I explained how it was almost certainly his cam sensor while showing him where it was. Even when he got in to start the car, you could tell he thought it wasn't going to help. Car started, purred like a kitten! LOL I swear, I almost got whiplash watching his expression bounce back and fourth between intense relief and murderous rage. I cautioned him that it was only temporary and suggested he get the car home asap. After he offered me 20 bucks which I declined (my father taught me better) he sighed saying "I just can't thank you enough". This all took place in under ten minutes.
Being the inherently cheesy kind of guy that I am I couldn't help myself. I literally placed my hands on hips in a great super hero pose, looked due north and in my best BatMan voice said "no need to thank me citizen, thank the good folks at PT cruiser links dotcom". I'd been talking about the forum the whole time and he plans on checking us out. Hopefully we'll see him around soon.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Has the information here ever helped you help a stranded motorist? Share a story.

Great job!

And being someone with a pretty extensive super hero complex myself, I really like the pose and heroic statements too. Keep up the good work and thanks for saving the universe once again.
mrwade01 likes this.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 04:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Has the information here ever helped you help a stranded motorist? Share a story.

Atta boy, MrWade. You rock. I used to stop and help people and my wife got a little more pissed off every time I did this. I told her I didn't care how mad she got, I was going to keep doing it. And I still do. It's what we're supposed to do, right? And my wife doesn't mind anymore.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 06 Jun 2017, 05:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Atta boy, MrWade. You rock. I used to stop and help people and my wife got a little more pissed off every time I did this. I told her I didn't care how mad she got, I was going to keep doing it. And I still do. It's what we're supposed to do, right? And my wife doesn't mind anymore.
That's funny!! My wife was the same way for the longest time. After a couple of times of seeing how long it bothered me after not stopping she's all for it!
Old 06 Jun 2017, 05:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

I once helped a fellow PT cruiser driver with a flat tire. However, she left the car running and started to notice her temperature gauge starting to rise. I informed her about the fan issues that we come across and I was able to diagnose the bad fan for her and change her tire to her spare.
mrwade01 and rckstein like this.

Sound System
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 10" MTX subwoofers, Rockford Fosgate P1T-S Tweets, Rockford Fosgate 6x8"s , Rockford Fosgate 6.5"'s, AudioControl 24XS crossover