Advertisements
Little History/Current Problems

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2017, 04:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Little History/Current Problems

Hello Everyone,

I bought my PT CruiserDecember 23rd, 2016.... From what I saw and Mechanic saw the vehicle was a good deal minus a few items that needed to be taken care of soon after. TPM Sensor, sticky horn spring and tires. All of which were taken care of shortly after purchase. Bought the car with 110k miles from a local dealer and the vehicle came from Tennessee which has no rust on it.

Few Months History-
When I bought the car, it had a slight wobble/vibration at high speeds and thought about replacing front suspension items. Struts were the first option that came to mind because they were stock.
3 weeks after buying the vehicle, I get a check engine light with code P0302 (Cylinder Misfire) and spark plugs and wires were changed. It was good for about half a day where the light came on again with the same code. Next was a Injector cleaning which also worked for about half a day. Looking more into it, One of the Valves in the Engine was Burnt and Bent. So, All 16 Valves, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Intake and Exhaust Valves were replaced and Engine/Head/Head Gasket were all resurfaced. $1,600 later, all was good and ready to Cruise in the Cruiser.

February to Now- I have replaced part after part seeking to rid the vibration issue. I have replaced the Struts, Drive Axles/CV Shafts, Shocks, New Tires, Motor Mounts, Transmission Mount and Cam Sensor. Still no luck. Just got done replacing CV Shafts/Drive Axles last week.

2 days ago, One of our regular customers (who is a mechanic) came in and we were talking about cars and ended up talking about my PT Cruiser and after talking he said it could be the Ball Joints/Control Arms. He inspected my car right then and there and noticed a whole bunch more issues than just that.

#1. Control Arms and Ball Joints and shot and cracked to where they could break at any time.

#2. Rack and Pinion is also shot. I noticed this but thought it was Ball Joints with the steering having some play in it but the Rack and Pinion is in fact shot. 2 Mechanics confirmed this.

#3. Leaking Power Steering Fluid- This issue is unknown yet but the fluid on my inner tie rods is in fact power steering fluid. confirmed by 2 mechanics.

#4. Leaking Transmission Fluid- There is Transmission Fluid on the top of the Transmission and could be left over from when the other mechanic resurfaced/repaired the engine/valves but it looks fresh and 2 mechanics believe a Seal may have cracked. Either way, Transmission has to be pulled. Plus, it started shifting wierd taking longer to shift and a lot of vibrating just before it shifts.

#5. Leaking Oil from the Camshaft Head/Cam head. May be a broken seal (known issue on these cars) or and issue with the engine or the mechanic resurfaced the engine parts too much. unknown at this point.

As much as I would love to fix all these issues right away and probably should be taken care of right away otherwise the PT could just fail for good or a part fail and then the cost is more more to fix, but unfortunately, I do not have the funds to pay for repairs, or able to get a loan for repairs. This is currently my only mode of transportation to way 5 days out of the week. Currently, I have a family member letting me use a vehicle 2 days out of the week, best he can do, which helps but doesnt at the same time.

I have started a Go Fund Me account for anyone who can help. Any help is appreciated. Link Below...

https://www.gofundme.com/pt-cruiser-isnt-cruisin

Thank You.
Justin

Also, Any other tips on these would also be appreciated.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Little History/Current Problems

Sorry to write this but it is time to sell it. A PT Cruiser is not the car for someone that cannot do their own repair work. I got mt 2003 PT for free and I by no means feel I got a great deal. The amount of work I put into it could have run around $3500 if I had paid someone to do it. My PT needed almost all the same work that your car needs/needed.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 05:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

this is one of those "entitlement generation" things. i really doubt you'll get much sympathy here. go fund me seems to work well for funerals, injured cats, and that's about it. realistically it sounds like you need two $8 rock auto ball joints, a rack from the boneyard, and to baby the car until you can afford a cheap junkyard trans. i need $3500 to fix all the junk on my mustang too. i've whittled it down to about $800 and after i work a couple weeks, i'll have it. i've saved up 10 weeks to buy car stuff. i wouldn't dream of asking for money to fix the car i personally beat on. i have a friend that has SLEPT in the parking lot at work in his car because he knew he wouldn't have gas money to get there in the morning. you are not entitled to getting your car fixed by generosity of others. suck it up. if you lose the job get another. or politely quit while you're ahead, find a closer job, and then go back when you have the $3-400 to fix your car with the parts it actually needs.

i really like you on here and i'm not trying to be an Ahole, just... how the real world works. every kid may get a trophy, but when you aren't a kid anymore, reality slaps you in the face. if you can't control your car at high speed, drive real slow with the flashers on.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 06:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

I am not about to sell it. I have too much into it to sell it. Not to mention, I want this car because Chrysler no longer makes it and want to keep it alive as long as possible. I was looking for a new car for winter to not drive the PT in winter but that is now being put on hold now as well. I want to keep this car for as long as possible.

I can do work on my PT but, not Transmission, Head/Head Gasket or taking engine apart work. Not yet.

Selling is not an option.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 06:12 pm
Banned

I'm kind of in the same boat, probably should have gotten rid of my PT a long time ago, but it's fully paid for, it's never been hit and the latest repairs are just a couple of monthly payments to get it back to full condition, which beats a monthly payment for 5 or 6 years on a new car. Also, fortunately for me, for many years I had an extended warranty which paid for a lot of items to be replaced, so I'll keep my PT for a few more years.

Last edited by rckstein; 06 Jun 2017 at 06:25 pm.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I change my opinion then. The PT Cruiser is a good car to learn mechanics on because you will more or less go from front to back and change almost everything there is on the car. Since money is tight replace the lower control arms and ball joints first. Keep the transmission fluid full and hopefully it will last a while. How bad is the rack and pinion? My is covered in oil but has not gotten worse in years. Maybe you can keep it going for a while until more money becomes available.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 06:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

would you be open to accepting parts? people here have extra stuff lying around. what do you NEED to safely get to work so you can save up and buy all the little crap? ball joints to stick in the A-arms?

a leaky trans sucks, but it doesn't prevent you from driving. it's just not ideal. and you waste money topping it off.
a leaky rack sucks, but realistically, you could pull the PS belt and get to work with no power steering.

we're all for helping people but to try to get $3500 so you can just have all new free stuff with no work or effort doesn't help you in the long run.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
we're all for helping people but to try to get $3500 so you can just have all new free stuff with no work or effort doesn't help you in the long run.
Wow! This is a great idea. I'm about to open up three or four of these little donate-money things. My big yellow baby needs an SRT hood. I'll take cash in any denominations.

Here's the deal. No one is an island and most of us, including me, are ultimately the products of charity and kindness from multitudes of people. Every successful person owns it to countless others. But in the case of this thread, the OP is asking for the wrong thing. If the OP truly needs transportation and has no way to get on on his/her own, then ask for a reliable car instead. But asking for a lot of money to fix up a car to ideal condition is just wrong. Plus, it's a waste of charitable giving. The PT Cruiser in question isn't worth that much to begin with.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 06:50 pm
Banned

rockandroller and Carnut like this.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 07:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
this is one of those "entitlement generation" things. i really doubt you'll get much sympathy here. go fund me seems to work well for funerals, injured cats, and that's about it. realistically it sounds like you need two $8 rock auto ball joints, a rack from the boneyard, and to baby the car until you can afford a cheap junkyard trans. i need $3500 to fix all the junk on my mustang too. i've whittled it down to about $800 and after i work a couple weeks, i'll have it. i've saved up 10 weeks to buy car stuff. i wouldn't dream of asking for money to fix the car i personally beat on. i have a friend that has SLEPT in the parking lot at work in his car because he knew he wouldn't have gas money to get there in the morning. you are not entitled to getting your car fixed by generosity of others. suck it up. if you lose the job get another. or politely quit while you're ahead, find a closer job, and then go back when you have the $3-400 to fix your car with the parts it actually needs.

i really like you on here and i'm not trying to be an Ahole, just... how the real world works. every kid may get a trophy, but when you aren't a kid anymore, reality slaps you in the face. if you can't control your car at high speed, drive real slow with the flashers on.
Did not see your post when I first replied..... Yes it cost $3,000+ but I forgot that where it would be nice to get the full $3,500....It isnt realistic.... plus, it is also My Car, My Responsibility type thing. So, I lowered it down to $1,500. Not fair or responsible to ask for donations for the whole repair cost. Plus that takes my responsibility out of the equation if people donated the $3,500. Plus, I made that GoFundMe thing quickly to get it up there not really thinking about my responsibility of the whole thing. I just typed the number in and that was that. You are right though. However, I have never been in this situation. I have never asked anyone for anything that I could not afford myself or asked anyone for money, clothes, or anything. Which is one reason why I was hesitant about GoFundMe. I don't really like asking people for money, favors, or anything. But, I am in a situation where I felt like I had no choice.

But, Reason why I would rather fix it (with new parts and not junkyard parts as they are not guaranteed to work or be good themselves) than sell it or what not is because some people (Sure some on here can relate) see the PT Cruiser as more than just a car that gets you from A-B-C and back A and so on. Since I first sat in the PT in Spring of 2000, I fell in love with it. 2006 I bought my first PT which was an 01 Limited. Then I bought another 01 in 07 for $500. Then I bought a 09 GT in 2009. Then finally this one in 2016. The PT is not just a car to me. It's been a majority of my life and is a style of car that only Chrysler has perfected. imo. It looks so stylish like modern but old school 40's-50's mob cars kind of. I want to preserve the PT Cruiser for as long as I can.