PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Close but no cigar. Postive battery terminal still corroding! How Come?

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2017, 10:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Close but no cigar. Postive battery terminal still corroding! How Come?

Well it's more than a week after my effort to finally correct the corrosion on the positive battery terminal so I checked how it looks. From the photo you can see the beginnings of corrosion by the small layer of green residue under the red terminal.

Thinking my solution, that parallels Chrysler's second generation fix of using these second generation terminals instead of the first generation copper battery terminals would be proved when I took a peek this morning. NO LUCK! I must go to those more wise than I in all things PT.

How come the corrosion's continuing on the red post?

Should I have additionally installed those corrosion preventative felt washers under the terminals?. . .Is it that I used two negative battery terminals and the one on the positive post isn't sized correctly and doesn't make enough contact on the wider positive post?. . .Or is it that I'm using old used salvage yard terminals, no matter how well I've cleaned them, instead of new ones? I think at this point it is an easy fix. Possibly all the above! I'm heading over to AutoZone this morning and buying some similar new terminals, some felt washers and more anti corrosion gel. I feel that the solution of this is an important preventative fix that all first generation PTers should be aware of. Please advise.

Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

@#$%^&*!!!

IMG_1626 (640x480).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 10:23 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Close but no cigar. Postive battery terminal still corroding! How Come?

you might seek out a better anticorrosive gel than the crap in the ketchup packet at autozone vaseline is known to work for yeeeeeears at a time when used on those felt washers.

clean, dry, the battery. clean the washers off with brake cleaner, gas, etc, and try vaseline instead. if it happens again, i'd question the age of your battery. you have the gas it emits mixing with the humid FL air.

i started with the vaseline after reading this https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...roding.215612/

Last edited by rob302; 07 Jun 2017 at 10:32 am.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Close but no cigar. Postive battery terminal still corroding! How Come?

What brand of battery do you have? I experienced rapid terminal corrosion with 2 Interstate batteries that I had.

Their salesperson refused to believe that their battery caused a problem and refused to replace their battery under warranty. I had to pay for a new one and it happened again with an Interstate battery. With the Interstate batteries, the positive terminal would corrode in less than a month, and I was constantly having to clean the terminals. Since switching to a different brand of battery, no terminal corrosion like I experienced with the Interstate batteries.
ptprice likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 07 Jun 2017 at 12:30 pm.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

To me, the gel just collects dirt and looks really cruddy after a while. And you really need to put it around the base of the posts below the terminals to be effective.

I just use the little red and green felt washers. If they are the good ones with the chemicals they are great. Corrosion on the terminals is often caused by a battery venting through the area were the posts connect. The washers do a great job of trapping the gases and preventing corrosion. If you end up with a really gassy battery then eventually the washers will stop working. The spray works very well too. I like the Permatex Battery Protector & Sealer. When used with the felt washers, I rarely have any issues at all.

Old 07 Jun 2017, 02:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

This!

Old 07 Jun 2017, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For a battery terminal cleaner, my favorite by far is this!

ptprice likes this.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Water and baking soda works for me. The felt washers can't hurt.
ptprice and Carnut like this.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The OP doesn't have a problem cleaning it but from keeping it from corroding.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 07 Jun 2017, 03:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

My suggestion to stop/slow the process is to replace the battery. It is the type of battery rather than the brand. The battery in your photo looks to be one that has removable caps to check/add water (battery acid). This is also the vent where the fumes are coming from. When the vehicle is running and charging the battery, it creates heat which in turn causes the gas/ fumes to exit the battery. Had you possibly used more gel on the terminals covering every exposed area, you could have gone longer before the corrosion showed. If you had used the felt washers, the chemical in the felt would have slowed the corrosion, not stopped it. Using a gel cell battery as in Handy's pic, no acid, no corrosion. The spiffy felt washers are not needed. Buying a maintenance free battery like a ACDelco, with no caps, the venting for the cells in the battery go through a maze and usually, no corrosion.

There is nothing wrong with using second hand terminals. As long as you use a good cleaner on everything before install. Brake or carb cleaner and a stiff brush will do the trick.
ptprice and LionPT like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 07 Jun 2017, 05:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Reading all the good advise is a primary example of just why the PT Cruiser Forum is such a valuable form of information. PT Cruiser and otherwise.

I went to AutoZone later this morning with out the benefit of good PT Cruiser Forum advise because my cable/internet service was down till an hour ago. We finally got a hard rain here in mid Florida and the lights went out for a while! The only terminals AutoZone had with posts were nice set of Zinc, marine quality battery terminals. I need the posts to attach the modified copper cable ends. Similar choices at Advanced Auto and O'Rielly's. I'll have to hog out the positive cable ends just a bit because that post is bigger but I think I'll get a good connection there. I hope solid Zinc terminals will suffice.

Because the battery is less than a year old and a decent quality AutoZone battery I don't think it's the age of the battery. I will use a set of felt washers though, because I see the sense of combating battery fumes. The ketchup (gel corrosion gel) is going back to AutoZone and I'll get a can of that Permatex Battery Protector and Sealer and spray everything down good.

Considering the Coke trick, I may drink a bottle of Coke with a bit of Rum just to help.

Everything will be cleaned with a good spray cleaner and the battery posts wire brushed down before putting it all back together.

I'll photo the finished results and keep a close eye on it.

Do you think this'll be enough to finish off the odyssey on a high note? I'm not going under the hood till tomorrow.

Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

The ketchup is going back.

IMG_1628 (640x480).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.