PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Liquid Leaking From Right Side Under The Headlight...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2017, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Liquid Leaking From Right Side Under The Headlight...

Hi everyone,

My 06 pt cruiser just got a new rad, new rad fan and new refrigerant. Blows super cold! When I have my dog in the car I leave it running whilst I go in to shop etc... When I move the vehicle after I'm done there is a puddle on the ground under the passenger side headlight area. It seems to be a shiny liquid instead of just water. What do you think it might be? Refrigerant? Antifreeze? It does not leak at all when the car is off or a/c isn't left on.

Thanks a ton!

JB
Old 07 Jun 2017, 04:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Liquid Leaking From Right Side Under The Headlight...

I'm going to call it condensation from the A/C. When I park in the carport at home, give it a little time , go out and on the passenger side in front of the tire, there is a poodle. I mean puddle. You don't have a poodle, do you?
ptprice and LionPT like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 07 Jun 2017, 04:17 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

It's probably a little further back than the headlight and is most likely the condensate from the a/c drain line.

When you had the cooling system worked on what color of coolant did they put back into your PT? You can look at your overflow bottle.

Please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create your intro thread
Old 07 Jun 2017, 04:23 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibeejohnnybee View Post
Hi everyone,

My 06 pt cruiser just got a new rad, new rad fan and new refrigerant. Blows super cold! When I have my dog in the car I leave it running whilst I go in to shop etc... When I move the vehicle after I'm done there is a puddle on the ground under the passenger side headlight area. It seems to be a shiny liquid instead of just water. What do you think it might be? Refrigerant? Antifreeze? It does not leak at all when the car is off or a/c isn't left on.

Thanks a ton!

JB
Who replaced your radiator, independent shop or dealership? Why did you need the a/c system to be charged?

The reason I'm asking is I'm getting a new radiator installed in my PT tomorrow and when I was shopping around getting prices, the dealership service advisor said that according to their info, the a/c system needs to be evacuated, radiator replaced, and then recharge the a/c system, and their labor was going to be about $700. But the independent shop that I have lined up, for a lot cheaper, did not say anything about the a/c system needing to be involved in replacement of the radiator.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum

It's probably a little further back than the headlight and is most likely the condensate from the a/c drain line.

When you had the cooling system worked on what color of coolant did they put back into your PT? You can look at your overflow bottle.

Please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create your intro thread
+1

I would check to see if the radiator hose is leaking at the fittings. Did they replace the radiator hoses?
ptprice likes this.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 05:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
+1

I would check to see if the radiator hose is leaking at the fittings. Did they replace the radiator hoses?
That's what I'm thinking since he said the fluid is "a shiny liquid instead of just water" if the shop used the universal coolant it's most likely yellow in color, which is close to water but would have a slimy feel if you were to touch it.

A couple of the shops that I checked with on my radiator replacement use the universal yellow coolant. I don't want that in my PT so for my shop I purchased the pre-mixed MOPAR HOAT.
ptprice likes this.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 06:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You might smell this shiny liquid. Give it a sniff. If you have that sweet smell of antifreeze it's probably radiator related like a bad or loose hose and not your A/C. It'll also have a viscosity to it as mentioned, slimy. Don't let the dog lick it.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone

I will touch and smell it next time. To me, it seems like too big of a puddle for it to be condensate but I hope so..

As far as the rad... It doesn't leak when it runs with no a/c on or when it sits overnight in my parking stall.

I will check it for leaks. No, the rad hoses weren't replaced.

The coolant colour is red.

I had the work done at a little independent shop. They extracted the old refrigerant that was left (.01) and filled it up (.05). The repairs cost me 800 Canadian parts included. Blows crazy cold now. The a/c system had to be recharged because last year the a/c wouldn't work. The issue was the low speed fan. Last year, it would start to steam/smoke if you left the a/c on during idle. Once you started to drive it sorta worked, not well.

What does condensation look like? Like just a water puddle? This kinda sorta looks like gas. You know that rainbow ish colour....

Do you think it could be refrigerant leak? Would make sense as to why it only had .01 left in it....

No poodle for me. Border collie!

Last edited by Ibeejohnnybee; 07 Jun 2017 at 08:21 pm.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 08:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibeejohnnybee View Post
Thanks everyone

I will touch and smell it next time. To me, it seems like too big of a puddle for it to be condensate but I hope so..

As far as the rad... It doesn't leak when it runs with no a/c on or when it sits overnight in my parking stall.

I will check it for leaks. No, the rad hoses weren't replaced.

The coolant colour is red.

I had the work done at a little independent shop. They extracted the old refrigerant that was left (.01) and filled it up (.05). Blows crazy cold now. The a/c system had to be recharged because last year the a/c wouldn't work. The issue was the low speed fan. Last year, it would start to steam/smoke if you left the a/c on during idle. Once you started to drive it sorta worked, not well.

What does condensation look like? Like just a water puddle? This kinda sorta looks like gas. You know that rainbow ish colour....

No poodle for me. Border collie!
The a/c condensation is just clear, it's water. If it's any other color, then it's a fluid from somewhere.

Last edited by rckstein; 07 Jun 2017 at 08:24 pm.
Old 08 Jun 2017, 07:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Maybe it's directional fluid...