Advertisements
AC Only works on HIGH (4)

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2017, 11:12 am
Young Cruiser

Default AC Only works on HIGH (4)

2001 Limited PT (No turbo)

I just replaced the heater core, and then had the AC charged at a shop.

Since then, the AC only turns on when turning the knob all the way to 4 (the highest setting).

The air blows cool, but not cold enough.

What can I check?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Jun 2017 at 12:15 pm.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 11:24 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: AC Only works on HIGH (4)

Probably a connection that goes to the resistor pack, or the resistor pack failed itself.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC Not Cold Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyson View Post
2001 Limited PT (No turbo)

I just replaced the heater core, and then had the AC charged at a shop.

The air blows cool, but not cold enough.

What can I check?
1ST....check the actual temperature at the vent AC on FULL

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Jun 2017 at 12:14 pm.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What does it do when you put it on heat? Does it only blow when you put it on high? If the heat only works when you put it on high then you need to check the blower motor resister. If all speeds work on heat, I would check the control switch.

This diagram below for 1st generation Pt Cruisers will give you an idea how the blower motor resister works.

Blower Fan Motor Resister.jpg

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Jun 2017 at 01:05 pm.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 03:26 pm
Banned

I know you've got your own issues going on right now with your PT, but since you just replaced the heater core, you might be able to help out this member if you recognize where this part goes in the process:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed9msi View Post
So after having it all put together again i ended up with this foam thing that i can't remember where it should be? Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed9msi View Post
Seriously, nobody knows where it should be? Somewhere when tearing down the heater core.
heater
Gkon likes this.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 04:29 pm
Young Cruiser

OK, that part looks like it could only be the foam piece that goes into the bottom of the plastic dash front. That is, the big plastic front part that sits in the middle in front of the cup holders, and runs all the way to either side.

At the very bottom of it, on the inside, just behind where the little cubby hole above the cup holders goes, there is a foam bit that slides up into an opening. Mine was a tan color, but mine's a 2001.

That is the only thing I could imagine that being. Mine also fell out while removing the dash.

---

On my question, can anyone give me ideas why the AC is not cold enough??? (Thank you for info on switch function, I'll look into that)

Thanks!
Old 11 Jun 2017, 04:54 pm
Banned

Quote:
OK, that part looks like it could only be the foam piece that goes into the bottom of the plastic dash front. That is, the big plastic front part that sits in the middle in front of the cup holders, and runs all the way to either side.

At the very bottom of it, on the inside, just behind where the little cubby hole above the cup holders goes, there is a foam bit that slides up into an opening. Mine was a tan color, but mine's a 2001.

That is the only thing I could imagine that being. Mine also fell out while removing the dash.
Thanks, I'll pass along the info.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

---

On my question, can anyone give me ideas why the AC is not cold enough??? (Thank you for info on switch function, I'll look into that)

Thanks!
I would suggest getting the fan blower working properly and then see if it's not getting cold enough. The blower fan moves air across the evaporator, causing the remaining liquid part of the cold refrigerant mixture to evaporate and turn into gas which further lowers the temperature. This cool air is delivered inside the cabin of the vehicle. To complete the refrigeration cycle, the refrigerant gas is routed back into the compressor where the process starts all over again.

What is the current temperature as NitroPT posted?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Jun 2017 at 05:49 pm.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 06:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

OP,

Are you saying the fan only blows on high or you can hear the fan speed change with different fan speed settings, but no air coming out the vent unless on high?

I know when I did my heater core there was no mention of the vacuum line for the air blend door going through the fire wall and of course I broke mine. I ended up just connecting the two broke car pieces of vacuum line with a small piece of rubber vacuum hose and all was well.

If the fan speed varies but low airflow output, you might want to verify one or both blower door cables are properly connected to the control unit in the center stack. I have heard of more than one occasion where the cable at the center stack was not locked in.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 09:52 am
Young Cruiser

I checked it out, and the issue is like this: turning from 0-3 on AC does nothing, then on 4 it goes full-blast... it appears that the fan is blowing at full power.

The same thing happens in the other direction (the non-ac side of the dial).

Does that sound like the blower resistor? I don't remember seeing the resistor when I got in there.