Advertisements
Product to recharge A/C

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Product to recharge A/C

Hi fellas,

I've been off the forum for a bit, thanks to being busy at my new job (which I love).

The temperature got hot overnight here in Queens. I turned on my ac, it gets cold for about five minutes, then not. I remember, last year, it wasn't quite as cold as the year before,me hen I first bought it. So, I want to recharge it.

My buddy has a gauge and hose setup that attaches to a can of stuff you buy at autozone and the like. He's going to lend it to me. Is there any specific product I need to use on the PT? I've never done this before, so I ant to use the right stuff.

Thanks!
Old 12 Jun 2017, 12:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Product to recharge A/C

Any can of r134a refrigerant should work. However, being a closed system if your AC has lost its coolness there could be a leak somewhere and/or other problems in your AC system, so there really isn't a definite guarantee that recharging will truly work for you. Have you gotten a timing belt change recently? Usually they discharge the AC to make the job easier.
Gkon likes this.

Sound System
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 10" MTX subwoofers, Rockford Fosgate P1T-S Tweets, Rockford Fosgate 6x8"s , Rockford Fosgate 6.5"'s, AudioControl 24XS crossover

Old 12 Jun 2017, 12:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

If a small leak is present it should last you quite some time though. My girlfriend's old pontiac did that and every recharge would last about a year.
Gkon likes this.

Sound System
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 10" MTX subwoofers, Rockford Fosgate P1T-S Tweets, Rockford Fosgate 6x8"s , Rockford Fosgate 6.5"'s, AudioControl 24XS crossover

Old 12 Jun 2017, 12:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ask for a can of 134a refrigerant. If it is low, you may need more than one can, possibly two. I charged two vehicles for employees a couple of weeks ago. It cost them about $11 a can. They might have also offered to fix me up with some ICE COOL liquid refreshments!
Gkon likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 12 Jun 2017, 12:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
Any can of r134a refrigerant should work. However, being a closed system if your AC has lost its coolness there could be a leak somewhere and/or other problems in your AC system, so there really isn't a definite guarantee that recharging will truly work for you. Have you gotten a timing belt change recently? Usually they discharge the AC to make the job easier.
Hi JonN. Thanks for the info.

Yes, I figured that there's a reason I lost coolness, but it's not due to a timing belt change. I did have to move the ac lines a bit when I installed a new radiator filler neck and hoses. I wonder if that was the culprit although, I felt it getting not as cold last year compared to the year before, which was long before I did that work.

I figure I'll try to charge it and see what happens. I'll address any issues at that point.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 12:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Ask for a can of 134a refrigerant. If it is low, you may need more than one can, possibly two. I charged two vehicles for employees a couple of weeks ago. It cost them about $11 a can. They might have also offered to fix me up with some ICE COOL liquid refreshments!
At $11 a can, it's worth giving it a shot and seeing how it goes.

You know for a fact that if you were helping me, you'd get a cooler full of ice cold refreshments!
VsandFords likes this.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

AC Pro
Products | AC Pro

&

AC PRO Instructions | AC Pro
CREWZIN, VsandFords and Gkon like this.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 02:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Hi Lynne,

That's exactly the product my friend has that I was telling you I will borrow. Excellent!!!
Thanks, bud!
NitroPT likes this.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The ACP100, complete unit that you attach to the vehicle, we sell for about $38. The ACP102, 12oz can, that you can attach to the A/C gauges with a threaded can tap, we sell for about $24. These are great suggestion to help with a possible leak.
NitroPT and Gkon like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 12 Jun 2017, 04:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

My friend has the threaded gauge and hose portion. He is going to lend it to me so I just have to buy a can of Freon.
Score!
VsandFords likes this.