PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Moving Soon. Anything I need to do to adjust Fuel Injection?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2017, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Moving Soon. Anything I need to do to adjust Fuel Injection?

My new job gives me the opportunity to transfer anywhere in the u.s. , so I've put in my transfer papers for New Mexico. I'm hoping to land in Santa Fe, but also put in for Albuquerque.

I plan on bringing my PT with me (towed behind the 10' Uhaul truck I'll be renting. I was thinking about towing a trailer behind the PT instead but, with 160,000 miles, although it runs well for daily driving, I don't want to tax it by hauling a trailer across most of the country).

NM is at a much higher altitude than NY. Do I have to do anything to the fuel injection system to compensate, or does the PT's computer brain sort that out for itself? Being an old school motorcycle guy, we always used to have to reject our carbs when traveling. Not sure how a cars f/I compensates.

Thanks.

Last edited by Gkon; 12 Jun 2017 at 11:21 am.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Moving Soon. Anything I need to do to adjust Fuel Injection?

Leaving NYC? Boo! Good luck with the move.

There is nothing to do. The EFI should adjust on its own, one of the joys of the electronic age. Not having to fuss with jets and metering screws. It may be a little softer than at sea level, but I doubt it will make much difference - that is one reason to stick with forced induction. I think they used to say to use a plug one heat range hotter at high altitude, but maybe somebody else will remember why.
Gkon likes this.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:03 am
Senior Cruiser

CONGRATS! Hope this move is beneficial for you. I'm sure it's going to be a BIG change. As far as the Cruiser, no adjustments are needed. The computer makes all of the changes for you. Takes the fun out of it! I'm sure you will rent a tow dolly with the truck.

We will be looking for a new thread as you travel across the country keeping us updated!
Gkon likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey Kon, if you end up in Albuquerque, you should check out the Sandia Mountains. Beautiful area. When I was there in 1978, there was still some snow left in the middle of June! Loved the climate there, but there were no good jobs available at the time, so after 8 weeks, I went back to Tennessee.
Gkon likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Leaving NYC? Boo! Good luck with the move.

There is nothing to do. The EFI should adjust on its own, one of the joys of the electronic age. Not having to fuss with jets and metering screws. It may be a little softer than at sea level, but I doubt it will make much difference - that is one reason to stick with forced induction. I think they used to say to use a plug one heat range hotter at high altitude, but maybe somebody else will remember why.
Thanks, Fk5.

I was born and raised here in Queens, but have known from a young age that I prefer a more peaceful environment, closer to nature. I lived in The Bay Area of California for 10 years (it was heaven on earth, when I was there) and Greece for 6. I had to come back to NY two years ago to tend to my ill and dying Mom. Now that she's gone, I'm free to move on, again.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
CONGRATS! Hope this move is beneficial for you. I'm sure it's going to be a BIG change. As far as the Cruiser, no adjustments are needed. The computer makes all of the changes for you. Takes the fun out of it! I'm sure you will rent a tow dolly with the truck.

We will be looking for a new thread as you travel across the country keeping us updated!
Thanks, bud! Definitely a big change, but I know what I'm (happily) headed to. I took a week of vacation and was ther about a month ago. Felt great!

Also, no rust, and TONS of older, classic vehicles up for sale!

Yes, a tow dolly behind the truck will get us there.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Kon. My mom died 3 years ago this coming August 21st. I miss her. But on a lighter not, you'll LOVE the Sandias, man. Nick's house (my buddy I stayed with) was only about a mile from the tram.
Gkon likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Hey Kon, if you end up in Albuquerque, you should check out the Sandia Mountains. Beautiful area. When I was there in 1978, there was still some snow left in the middle of June! Loved the climate there, but there were no good jobs available at the time, so after 8 weeks, I went back to Tennessee.
Thanks, Chuzz. Will do! I was just in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos. I loved Taos, which was still chilly and snow on the mountain peaks, but my job doesn't exist there.

Second on my list is Santa Fe. I liked it there, a lot.

Third is Albuquerque. Not a huge fan, but it's still nice. If I have to go there initially, I will. But, I'll keep my transfer papers for Santa Fe in place and can move there once they go throug.

Ironic is that my second choice of location after NM was Tennessee! In or near Nashville.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Sorry to hear about your Mom, Kon. My mom died 3 years ago this coming August 21st. I miss her. But on a lighter not, you'll LOVE the Sandias, man. Nick's house (my buddy I stayed with) was only about a mile from the tram.
Thanks, Chuzz. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom, too.
It was a year, this past February. Honestly, she had gotten to such a state with Alzheimer's that it's better that she moved on when she did. I know she's happier, now.

I plan on doing a LOT of exploring after I get there. I plan on 2-4 years of renting, and then buying a house. I DO hope I get sent to Santa Fe.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Hang on, back up the boat! What about this quote?

Learning 10 songs for a new band I was asked to join.

Me being nosy, just want to get in the middle of your business!

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!