Advertisements
PT Cruiser What to look at

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2017, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser What to look at

hi

what would you suggest to look at when looking to buy one, is there any major problems which might considering to check that would cost a lot to deal with ?
I would love to hear any opinions as I am looking for one with low mileage under 100k + i found already some deals but want to check if those are worse driving

Thanks
Old 15 Jun 2017, 10:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser What to look at

Welcome,
You should go to the New Members section and introduce yourself, your mechanical prowess and your location. PT's are nice cars and are quite maintainable if you are a little mechanically inclined. If you are not, the things that normally should be done through the first 100k miles can pile up and you might be shocked what the total bill would be if you take it to a mechanic and want to have everything done.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 10:26 am
Cool Cruiser

I would recommend checking to see when the timing belt/water pump has been replaced (if ever). This is due at the 100K mark and can be an expensive!
Old 15 Jun 2017, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Jun 2017, 10:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

hi. please click here and read a few of these. make a list from a few of the posts, and you'll have a great list of things to watch out for (:

"what to look for when buying" threads on this forum:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...to+look+buying
Old 15 Jun 2017, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethsaperre1986 View Post
hi

what would you suggest to look at when looking to buy one, is there any major problems which might considering to check that would cost a lot to deal with ?
I would love to hear any opinions as I am looking for one with low mileage under 100k + i found already some deals but want to check if those are worse driving

Thanks
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

For your questions, I'd first decide why I want a PT Cruiser. If you want a cheap but very cool car to just drive, the early models (2001/2002) are great values. If you want a car to mod and fix up, the 2003 thru 2005 models have the most available accessories. And if you want a newer practical car with a decent stock stereo, the 2nd Gen 2006 thru 2010 models are great. And if you want performance, the 2004 and 2005 GT's are the best with the most options and available performance add-ons.

Here's what to look for when buying a PT:

1. Has the timing belt been changed recently? The timing belt will likely break at some point if not changed over 100,000 miles. And the cost to do this work at a shop can run as much as $1,500.

2. Has the PT ever overheated? It's very common on PT Cruisers for the radiator fan to fail and cause the engine to overheat. This will cause the head gasket to fail. Many PT's end up as salvage due to bad head gaskets. Others with slightly blown head gaskets get a dose of head sealer and get sold to unsuspecting buyers.

3. Does the PT have bad front lower control arm?. You can tell if it makes a bumping noise while running over potholes.

4. Has the fuse for the fog lights been pulled? The headlight switches often fail causing the fog lights to stay on all the time. A cheap fix is to just pull the fog light fuse.

5. Does the automatic transmission shift out well? Does the manual transmission shift easily in all gears? The autos can sometimes be weak and the shifter bushings go bad in the manuals.

6. And the rest are the many things to check for with any car.

Others may have additional items to check for as well. Good luck!
dougs and JDK52 like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Jun 2017 at 12:57 pm.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If you cannot do most repairs yourself I would not recommend purchasing a PT Cruiser.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 02:57 pm
Young Cruiser

This is a car that should be for someone willing to work on it themselves. Their overall value is very low, and many repairs exceed the cars value when taken in to be done professionally. Parts wise however, someone who can wrench can buy parts inexpensively, do the work themselves, and come out ahead. They also need to understand that a LOT of the projects undertaken to keep the car on the road involves quite a bit of disassembly of other non related parts to get access to what you are working on. This is a fact of life of a vehicle that was built to form over function. Flip side of that is you get to really know the vehicle well, and its quirks.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 07:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Good information offered thus far....

Different trim levels are offered.
The Base model is entry.

Be aware that options like cruise control, ABS, and side airbags - if important to you, are not on all cars.

This link has lots of info.

PT History

When I was looking, after driving the turbo lite model, the base seemed a poor cousin.
A GT is probably the model that has the highest interest now and into the future.

The newest of these cars are now at least 7 years old.
All cars need service, more so with age (car and owner).

BUT - if this forum is any indicator, PT Cruiser owners are a fine group.
dougs likes this.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest getting an OBDII Scan Tool if you have one. Make sure you can communicate with the PCM on the Pt Cruisers you are going to look at. Check to see if any codes are stored.
JDK52 likes this.