PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
USA to Canada cluster

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2017, 09:54 am
Young Cruiser

Default USA to Canada cluster

I have just bought a PT that came form the USA so the speedometer is in miles, and I live in Canada. I have a complete instrument cluster from another parts car that is in kilometers. Can they just be switched, or is there more involved?
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: USA to Canada cluster

I believe you can just swap them. I've swapped both 1st and 2nd Gen PT 140 mph clusters for original 120 mph clusters. While scaled differently, both read correctly after installation. Based on this, I believe there's a good chance your metric cluster will read correctly as well.
ptprice likes this.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I'm going to guess it's just a swap. I think it'll be compatible and read out OK.

SOOO BIG has a 120 MP/H Speedometer (because I'm dreaming if I can even hope he could go 140MPH!) with the MP/H figures displayed prominently but with KM/H displayed less prominently on the inner going up to 200 200KM/H. If your current speedometer is like SOOO BIG's with the less proment KM/H why do you need to change?

It's my guess that the Canadian speedometer pod probably displays KM/H as the prominent read out with MP/H on the inner display.

Let us know what transpires.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 15 Jun 2017 at 01:17 pm.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:21 pm
Banned

Taking a US PT to Canada, how did you comply with the daytime running lights requirement?
ptprice likes this.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

[QUOTE=rckstein;657482]Taking a US PT to Canada, how did you comply with the daytime running lights requirement?[/QUOTE

If all else fails can't he just promise to turn them on and off as required. He sound like a guy you can trust! Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Ill let you know if it works.
And yes its just a swap.
As for the daytime running, I wondered about that too. I bought it registered in BC already, and noticed it doesn't have daytime lights on, so I don't know what the rule was on that, but its done now!
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Taking a US PT to Canada, how did you comply with the daytime running lights requirement?
If all else fails can't he just promise to turn them on and off as required. He sound like a guy you can trust! Happy PTin', ptprice
I think it has to be automatic, meaning does not require any action by the driver but turn on as soon as the vehicle is started. I'm just asking if he overcame that obstacle as it has come up before, and could help other members.
ptprice likes this.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 01:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Thanks for the info. Ill let you know if it works.
And yes its just a swap.
As for the daytime running, I wondered about that too. I bought it registered in BC already, and noticed it doesn't have daytime lights on, so I don't know what the rule was on that, but its done now!
What year and model is it? How long had it been registered in BC by the previous owner? Do you know how long the previous owner had owned it?
Old 15 Jun 2017, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
imported after it was 15 years old not required to have DRLs

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Jun 2017, 04:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I think it has to be automatic, meaning does not require any action by the driver but turn on as soon as the vehicle is started. I'm just asking if he overcame that obstacle as it has come up before, and could help other members.
I know, I was just pullin' your leg!
Maybe in the back of my mind I was remembering some of the oldies I've restored didn't have to meet current criteria. So it looks like maybe BC went by age and gave him a by. As Nitro said and I didn't know till I read his info, it is almost eighteen years old! Happy PTin', ptprice
rckstein likes this.