Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C quit today. worked yesterday !

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2017, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C quit today. worked yesterday !

Hi All.
leaving work in the 05 turbo today turned A/C on nothing but hot air all the way home . worked fine yesterday. put the A/C pro pressure gauge on the low pressure line holding 35 Lbs. same as always. both A/C lines are hot to the touch. the compressor is not turning on. the radiator fan turns on when the switch on the dash is turned on. i switched the relay with the starter relay. still nothing. checked the power at the relay with the switch on two positive and one negative. so thats correct. jumped the line to the compressor at the relay direct from the battery still nothing. the fuse is good. what do you think ?
i changed the evaporator back in the spring because it was leaking freon through the dash vents. i refilled it with A/C pro and a can of stop leak. everything worked perfect untill today.
thanks for your help.
by the way the 02 NA with 200,000 miles A/C works perfect.
jim.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 10:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: A/C quit today. worked yesterday !

Not sure if this will work on the PT, but other cars u have owned, I would remove the low pressure switch lead from the sensor and put a jumper wire connecting the two pins on the lead. If the compressor kicks on and cool air returns you have a bad low pressure switch.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

going to try it tommorow. thanks.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i jumped the low pressure switch and the compressor turned on right away. the pressure gauge dropped to "0" on the refill can. ( i`m thinking the 35 lbs reading on the gauge was the pressure in the can ) so i added freon to 35 lbs in the system the A/C started working and blowing cold air. it worked all the way to work "40 mins" when i left work 8 hrs latter no cold air. so i guess i have a large leak some where.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 10:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Call me crazy, but I've taken to replacing the low-pressure switches on all my PTs. While problems may not be readily apparent, 2 of 4 now operate more consistently when it comes to blowing cold air. Seems worth the $15 the switch costs.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Same problem on my '03 GT Turbo. Tried taking low pressure switch connection apart; no luck. Does it simply pull apart or is there one more Chrysler trick to getting the lead off? Thanks in advance.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 07:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

There is a tap you have to press.
[IMG][/IMG]
rsrocket1 likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 25 Jun 2017, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
There is a tap you have to press.
[IMG][/IMG]
Thank you.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 10:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

My '02 N/A is doing exactly the same thing.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

progress report on the A/C i found a bad seal at the firewall. it looks like a aluminum washer with a red "O" ring inside. there are two of them one is 1/2" the other is 5/8" . so i bought a new one $18.00 at the dealer. i found a lot of oil around the mounting base and on the insulation on the firewall where this seal is located so i expected it was leaking.. so i recharged it and will see tomorrow if it holds a charge.
i did buy a new Accumulator because i seen oil on the driveway under the firewall. after removing my original Accumulator it still had oil in it so it was not leaking. i put it back on. and placed the new Accumulator back in the box.
i`m hoping its the seal.
jim.
rsrocket1 likes this.