LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2017, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 2.4L non turbo P0480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
Yes that is how it is to work
thanks for the response

I just finished checking/cleaning all the ground points that I could get my hands on, two on the driver side and one on the passenger side under the hood. Also sprayed and cleaned the Fan relay and main power feed cable. Still getting the same problem.

P0480 came right back, even though the fan turns on in both settings. Its not tied to just when the AC is on, verified that.

So when the car was running and while the fan was on I disconnected both relays. Then I get the P0481 right away so it seems like it should be working like its supposed to, I'm stumped at this point!
Old 25 Jun 2017, 12:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

fixed it!
ended up being a bad connector on the cable harness going to the TIPM at the fan connection side for the low speed control. found it by checking for continuity on each wire and so I bypassed the connector by adding a wire and tapped directly into the cable on each side of the connectors. Turned the car on and fan turns on with no check engine light!
What was so confusing about this was when the fan turned on it was turning on in high speed even though the car wasn't hot enough for typical high speed use. But I think because it was seeing that it had no low speed it just automatically goes for the high speed, maybe I'm wrong, but that was a pain to find!

Thanks for all the help from everyone!
rckstein and chuzz like this.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbuechler View Post
fixed it!
ended up being a bad connector on the cable harness going to the TIPM at the fan connection side for the low speed control. found it by checking for continuity on each wire and so I bypassed the connector by adding a wire and tapped directly into the cable on each side of the connectors. Turned the car on and fan turns on with no check engine light!
What was so confusing about this was when the fan turned on it was turning on in high speed even though the car wasn't hot enough for typical high speed use. But I think because it was seeing that it had no low speed it just automatically goes for the high speed, maybe I'm wrong, but that was a pain to find!

Thanks for all the help from everyone!
Is this part of the radiator fan harness?

Glad to hear you found the problem!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Is this part of the radiator fan harness?

Glad to hear you found the problem!
It was the harness on the other side of that, so the cable set going up to the TIPM, but the connector was the one on the lower side going to the radiator fan harness, if that makes sense.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 12:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
It was the harness on the other side of that, so the cable set going up to the TIPM, but the connector was the one on the lower side going to the radiator fan harness, if that makes sense.
The connector in this pic in the lower left hand corner of the fan? This is the connector that plugs into the main wiring harness for the fan. If it was that connector that failed on your fan, it's the same connector that was melted on mine.

Or was it the connector that plugs into this connector on the fan?

Old 27 Jun 2017, 10:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
The connector in this pic in the lower left hand corner of the fan? This is the connector that plugs into the main wiring harness for the fan. If it was that connector that failed on your fan, it's the same connector that was melted on mine.

Or was it the connector that plugs into this connector on the fan?

it was the male connector that plugs into that one in the picture bottom left. It goes from the fan harness up to the TIPM (fuse box)
Old 27 Jun 2017, 10:07 am
Banned

Quote:
it was the male connector that plugs into that one in the picture bottom left. It goes from the fan harness up to the TIPM (fuse box)
That would be the connector on the main harness that your PT had a problem with. How did you fix it, install a replacement connector or hard-wire it?
Old 29 Jun 2017, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That would be the connector on the main harness that your PT had a problem with. How did you fix it, install a replacement connector or hard-wire it?
hard wired and bypassed the bad connector by adding a wire and tap on each side.
rckstein and rsrocket1 like this.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 11:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Nice work

Glad you got it fixed!
rckstein likes this.

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, a/c problems, non-turbo, radiator fan