Advertisements
2006 2.4L non turbo P0480

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 2.4L non turbo P0480

Hey Everyone,
Thanks in advance for anyone that finds the time to respond and help me out here.

Pulled P0480 from the cruiser yesterday, tried clearing it with my OBDII reader, comes right back so I guess its time to fix it.

NOTE: The A/C also wasn't working when at park, but after driving a little it stays cold.

First I inspected the radiator fan, wasn't turning on even though A/C was on. I inspected the 15A fuse, it seemed a little jostled out so I reseated it, and I swapped the High and Low fan speed relays around. The fan turned on but the check engine light never went away. Took it out for a drive, A/C was blowing cold, couldn't get rid of the P0480. This morning went to check and now the fan wont turn on again, so I swapped the relays back around, no fan, but now the check engine light is off.... Replaced the fan with the entire housing, not just the fan motor. Fan still not turning on in park, I can hear the A/C compressor kicking on and off when I turn on the A/C. Checked the pressure with an old refill can and the needle was well above the green area and reaching the yellow (about 4.5psi) so I replaced the low pressure switch, pressure still at 4.5psi when the car has been on for a few minutes but at least isn't climbing, maybe too much Freon? Any who, on my first test drive the A/C was blowing cold no problem, car never over heated even at a red light, when I pulled into the drive way I popped the hood and saw the fan spinning so I know the new fan works. It shut off after sitting in the drive for a minute but A/C was still on and cold. Take it out after an hour and a half and check engine light is back on now with same P0480. Tested the relays, both are good and switching, checked for voltage at the relay connector and both high and low side are getting 30VAC with the engine on (maybe I'm testing that wrong cause 30 seems high). So now I'm thinking is the computer not telling the fan to turn on at low speed? What else can I check?

Thanks again!
Old 16 Jun 2017, 02:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 2.4L non turbo P0480

I would suggest you get an OBDII Scan Tool to reset the P0480 code.

I would also suggest you check the relays again to make sure they are working properly.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 06:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. Please go to the new members section and introduce yourself and tell us something good about your cruiser.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 16 Jun 2017, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest you get an OBDII Scan Tool to reset the P0480 code.

I would also suggest you check the relays again to make sure they are working properly.
I can clear the codes with my OBDII ready, its just not a really fancy one that can test individual circuits

And the relays I took them into Napa and had one of the clerks help me test them with a car battery and some wire. We measured the normally closed circuit and then applied voltage, you can hear them both switching on and off, and we checked to make sure that once they switch open that the other legs read closed.

One person thinks I have a leak in the A/C system, which I don't doubt because I've refreshed the system before with a refill can. But when I check the pressure its above what it should be. And I know anytime the A/C is on the radiator fan should kick on.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) - P0480 LOW SPEED COOLING FAN RELAY CIRCUIT FAULT (WITH A/C)

There's a good chance that it is the fan motor and not the relay or AC. If me, I'd unplug the fan and and run a ground and hot wire to the respective pins (bypassing the two relays on the side of the fan assembly) and see if the fan comes on in low and high speed. On my PT, the low speed wire is dark green. High speed is yellow or white? And black is the ground.
VsandFords likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Jun 2017 at 11:00 am.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) - P0480 LOW SPEED COOLING FAN RELAY CIRCUIT FAULT (WITH A/C)

There's a good chance that it is the fan motor and not the relay or AC. If me, I'd unplug the fan and and run a ground and hot wire to the respective pins (bypassing the two relays on the side of the fan assembly) and see if the fan comes on in low and high speed.
I replaced the original fan assembly, and tested it by taking it out on a drive and could see and hear the fan running, but then it turned off when the car sat idle in the drive way. So something strange going on with it.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 11:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

As you can see, when you are parked, the low speed fan will not turn on until the coolant temperature is 206F and will turn off as soon as the temp drops below 199F.

When I temporarily used a switch to manually turn on the fan (I was waiting for the replacement to come in the mail), I noticed that if the engine controller tried to turn on the low speed relay and I didn't have it plugged in, I got a P0480 trouble code. If I put a 100 Ohm resistor in place of the coil, the trouble code would not come up.

This makes me think your engine control module is not sensing current through the low speed relay coil when it tries to turn on the relay. Since you said NAPA tested them by operating the relays, the coils should be good. That means the signal from the engine control module to the relay is not getting there.

My next guess would be to clean the contacts on the relays, the relay sockets and the fan module plugs. There should be 2 sets of plugs/sockets on the bottom side of the fan assembly near the radiator drain plug. One for the entire fan assembly that you disconnect when you remove the fan from the car and one nearby that stays connected when you take the fan in/out of the car. Disconnect each one and spray some electrical contact cleaner into both sides of the connection. Inspect the plugs/wires for any chafing or melted parts.

Good luck
kcbuechler likes this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 03 Jul 2017 at 10:05 am.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

little update.

I tested the relay circuits again by measuring voltage and all looks good. I get 11.55VDC when I measure from either hot to the PCM relay control loop on both high and low circuits, and I get 11.77VDC when I measure from either hot lead to the motor brushes both high and low circuits. When I measure from the motor brushes to the PCM I get .5VDC on the high and .77VDC on the low.

I used a wire to make a short from both hot leads to the motor brushes on both circuits and the fan turns on no problem. Took it on a test drive and A/C is blowing cold air, still have the check engine light on. Pulled into the drive and left the car on and the fan stayed on as long as the car was on, turned the car off let it sit for a few minutes and turned it back on, fan came back on shortly after, my thoughts are because the engine was still too hot but its doing better than yesterday.

I haven't tried cleaning the wires yet but I did measure on both sides of the cable you are referring to, that goes directly to the relays, and I'm getting good voltage at the source, down at the bottom of the radiator that is. Letting the car rest and cool off, going to see if the fan will turn on with just the A/C on and see what happens.

Thanks again!
relays.jpg
Old 16 Jun 2017, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey all,

Now started the car and turned A/C on full, checked the engine codes and now its added P0481. The fan didn't come on until the car reached the half way mark on the temp gauge even though the A/C was on, so I still think somethings wrong with the computer sending the signal to turn on the low speed relay. But now with the P0481 I for sure think the A/C pressure is too high. With that being said, I know its probably frowned upon to just bleed the line to atmosphere, probably need to hook up an actual pump and vac system to reduce the pressure.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you bleed it to the atmosphere, who the hell's going to know except you?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, a/c problems, non-turbo, radiator fan