PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 transmisson help... limp mode

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2017, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 transmisson help... limp mode

Long story short trans threw the codes 0755 and 0700, and was stuck in 2nd gear I replaced the shift selinoid pack and did a new trans filter with the 4 new quarts of lost fluid with dropping the pan... started it up check engine light I was gone drove it about 1/4 mile and back into limp mode. I disconnected the battery to reset it again and started it again CEL was off. So I just rolled back and forth in my driveway, when I shift from rev. to drive it feels funny kind acts like it hits a nutral spot then back into gear. CEL didn't go back but I'm sure it will if I take it down the road and let it go threw the gears. it's not slipping in drive or rev I can put the breaks on and put the throttle to the floor and won't slip. Any ideas what could be going on...
Old 20 Jun 2017, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 transmisson help... limp mode

It's a 2001 pt cruiser automatic non turbo
Old 20 Jun 2017, 08:51 am
Banned

Per the Service Manual:

You will have to take your vehicle somewhere to have the Quick Learn programmed into it. Not just a dealership can do it, but also any properly equipped transmission shop that has the correct equipment and they should be cheaper than a dealership.
Dusty1989 likes this.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Anyone know where I can rent or take the car to, who has a debit scanner?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That "neutral spot" between reverse and drive may be telling. Both a weak front pump and a broke accumulator spring will do this. Either way, it could be starving the solenoid and throwing those codes.

On a 2001 PT, you could always try a different TCM (located behind left front inner fender) from a salvage PT. But other than just trading out parts and prayer, there's not a lot you can do at home without special equipment. If me, I would take my car to a "good" transmission repair shop for diagnosis.

What I've found is that bad transmission shops will just tell you that your tranny needs a rebuild no matter the problem. This prevents them from doing real diagnosis and makes them a lot more money. However, I good shop will actually do some trouble shooting and may be able to provide a repair that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If the shop comes back saying the tranny needs a rebuild, ask them for a detailed explanation why. Then share that here.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1989 View Post
Long story short trans threw the codes 0755 and 0700, and was stuck in 2nd gear I replaced the shift selinoid pack and did a new trans filter with the 4 new quarts of lost fluid with dropping the pan... started it up check engine light I was gone drove it about 1/4 mile and back into limp mode. I disconnected the battery to reset it again and started it again CEL was off. So I just rolled back and forth in my driveway, when I shift from rev. to drive it feels funny kind acts like it hits a nutral spot then back into gear. CEL didn't go back but I'm sure it will if I take it down the road and let it go threw the gears. it's not slipping in drive or rev I can put the breaks on and put the throttle to the floor and won't slip. Any ideas what could be going on...
I am saving your response because I often respond that disconnecting the battery is not the way to correctly clear and re-set DTC. It only really turns off the light on the dash.

As for the problem, you should seek a transmission service shop to do a quick electrical diagnostic check and re-set of your PT. This way you can hopefully get it shifting correctly again and be sure that there are not any other problem that are waiting to rear there ugly head.

This service is about 40 bucks or less at most all transmission shops.

Oh BTW power braking a A604/41TE destroys the torque converter.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jun 2017 at 10:06 am. Reason: hopefully word added
Old 20 Jun 2017, 10:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks and the powerbreaking was just for a moment to see if it was slipping... has anyone replaced selinoid pack without getting the quick learn loaded?
Old 21 Jun 2017, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Whatever you do, stay away from AAMCO (all automatics must come out). They're con artists. As for the solenoid pack, I've changed mine 3 times. Not all that bad of a job. I found it was easier if I removed the battery and battery tray, then the trans lines and then you have two wiring harnesses to unplug (watch the lock tabs) and then three 10 mm bolts that hold the solenoid pack and one 8 mm bolt that holds the connector to the solenoid. About a 45 minute to one hour job, taking your time.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Whatever you do, stay away from AAMCO (all automatics must come out). They're con artists. As for the solenoid pack, I've changed mine 3 times. Not all that bad of a job. I found it was easier if I removed the battery and battery tray, then the trans lines and then you have two wiring harnesses to unplug (watch the lock tabs) and then three 10 mm bolts that hold the solenoid pack and one 8 mm bolt that holds the connector to the solenoid. About a 45 minute to one hour job, taking your time.
Wow! Where are you getting your solenoid packs?
Old 23 Jun 2017, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I got my hands on a obd scanner and was able to clear my codes even though I had no CEL from doing the battery technic the scanner still picked up the p0700 and p0755, but noticed there were two more codes I didn't see, P1781 P1784. I erased them and drove the car around for a bit, seemed to shift fine but would start off in 2nd gear then go threw all the rest just fine. If I turned off the car and started it back up it would start off in 1st every time. Then after about 20 mins of back road driving about 45-50 mph stop and go CEL came on, got it home and got 4 codes. PO700 p1781, p0700 again and p1784. I still haven't made it to a transmission shop but has anyone had this?