PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2010 Rear Hatch Release Button Problems

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2017, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2010 Rear Hatch Release Button Problems

Howdy folks! I have a problem with the rear hatch release button not releasing the lock mech/solenoid, so the hatch will not open. Saw some posts in here and around the web with people having the same or similar problems.

Some people suggested a momentary push switch to bypass the pressure switch and activate the release solenoid, which sounds like a quick fix for getting the hatch open to allow me to repair further.

However, I have not been able to find where they are adding the temp switch. I removed the pillar cover revealing the wire harness going to the rear hatch. and have access to that harness connector. Is there a way to jumper one of the wires in the harness to temporarily get the hatch to open?

I saw a post about an 08 and he said he momentarily grounded the brown wire "with a green trace", I assume he meant a green stripe and his solenoid activated and his hatch opened. This did not work for me, maybe cause mine is 10?

Please be aware that in 08 and beyond, there is no key entry on the rear hatch, so please keep that in mind with any responses about how to get the hatch open.

I have not pulled the inner panel off of the rear hatch (if that is even possible without butching it when the hatch is closed).

Does anyone know which wires in the mentioned exposed harness that can be jumpered to activate the release solenoid or if it is even possible on a 10 model? Thanks for any help or suggestions, Mark
Old 20 Jun 2017, 08:39 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2010 Rear Hatch Release Button Problems

Another Chrysler cost-cutting measure that some bean-counter never considered the consequences of when the touch pad switch fails, and it will eventually fail!

This is the momentary weatherproof switch that I installed on my PT when the touch pad failed:

I got the switch at O'Reilly.

This is the wiring for the rear hatch actuator, looks like you need to find a TN/YL wire and ground it to actuate the latch assembly:

You can download a copy of the complete Service Manual (with wiring diagram) from the link below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You can download the manual from my Google Drive. Here's a link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by rckstein; 20 Jun 2017 at 11:17 pm.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks rckstein. I will look at the wire harness and try to find the appropriate wire to ground. Also thanks for the manual. Do you think the 06 manuals wire harness info is the same as my 10 harness? Thanks, Mark
Old 21 Jun 2017, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Under the drivers side rear upper pillar cover is a harness. I found what could be considered TN/YL (tan with yellow stripe?) wire. I temp grounded it with and without the car running with no results. Is that harness the correct one to be looking at? Or is it in another location? Thanks, Mark
Old 21 Jun 2017, 07:47 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesTex View Post
Thanks rckstein. I will look at the wire harness and try to find the appropriate wire to ground. Also thanks for the manual. Do you think the 06 manuals wire harness info is the same as my 10 harness? Thanks, Mark
As far as I know, there is only one Service Manual that covers the '06-'10.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 08:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Under the drivers side rear upper pillar cover is a harness. I found what could be considered TN/YL (tan with yellow stripe?) wire. I temp grounded it with and without the car running with no results. Is that harness the correct one to be looking at? Or is it in another location? Thanks, Mark
I just did it on my PT and the hatch mechanism will trigger. Under the drivers side D pillar cover there will be a TN/DG (tan with a dark green stripe-red arrow below pic) and TN/YL (tan with a yellow stripe-blue arrow below pic) touch both of these wires together and the rear hatch latch mechanism will trip, car does not have to be running. You can use a probe to pierce the wire insulation then insert a paperclip into the hole in each wire, as soon as you do, the latch will trip.

Last edited by rckstein; 22 Jun 2017 at 09:47 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you rckstein for the clear explanation and the nice picture. It's those kind of answers that make these forums a great tool! I will do as you suggested tonight. Thanks, Mark
Old 22 Jun 2017, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Howdy folks! I have a problem with the rear hatch release button not releasing the lock mech/solenoid, so the hatch will not open. Saw some posts in here and around the web with people having the same or similar problems.

Some people suggested a momentary push switch to bypass the pressure switch and activate the release solenoid, which sounds like a quick fix for getting the hatch open to allow me to repair further.

However, I have not been able to find where they are adding the temp switch. I removed the pillar cover revealing the wire harness going to the rear hatch. and have access to that harness connector. Is there a way to jumper one of the wires in the harness to temporarily get the hatch to open?

I saw a post about an 08 and he said he momentarily grounded the brown wire "with a green trace", I assume he meant a green stripe and his solenoid activated and his hatch opened. This did not work for me, maybe cause mine is 10?

Please be aware that in 08 and beyond, there is no key entry on the rear hatch, so please keep that in mind with any responses about how to get the hatch open.

I have not pulled the inner panel off of the rear hatch (if that is even possible without butching it when the hatch is closed).

Does anyone know which wires in the mentioned exposed harness that can be jumpered to activate the release solenoid or if it is even possible on a 10 model? Thanks for any help or suggestions, Mark
On my 2008 Pt Cruiser I have the key entry on the rear hatch.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
On my 2008 Pt Cruiser I have the key entry on the rear hatch.
Guess I read that wrong. Maybe it is all models after 08
Old 23 Jun 2017, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok guys, here is what I found that worked on my 10 model. Thanks rkstein for pointing me in the right direction.

In the picture, the wire with the red arrow (pinkish brown with yellow stripe) is a 12v line when the key is on. This is the only wire in my harness that has 12v present, and only when the key is on. The wire with the green arrow (tan with yellow stripe) is the wire you momentarily touch to the 12v hot wire (red arrow). This activated the release on the lift gate.

Again this is a 2010 model and it is what worked for me. Basically you have to find the hot wire in the harness and touch it to the proper release wire. In most cases I have read that it was the tan and yellow.

I hope this is clear enough to help others when trying to get the liftgate to open to do a repair. Thanks! BT

rckstein likes this.