Advertisements
AC PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2017, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation AC PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP

Hello, fellow PT Cruiser owners, I have a 2004 base 2.4L auto, with about 80k miles. I've owned it since 2011 and only had a few problems a year ago. The AC has always worked fine until today. I was using the AC all day and it was fine. Just half an hour ago, I got off the freeway and went to pick my sister up from work. As I'm waiting in the parking lot, I turn on the AC, and it blows fine for a few seconds. Then, the car almost dies(idle drops every two seconds), the air blows warm, and there is a squealing noise(not extremely loud). I turn the AC off and it drives fine, no noise. I tried driving with he AC around the parking lot and it seemed to work, but when I stop, the problem returns. I think it's the AC compressor, not sure though. Can I still drive the car without AC?
Old 22 Jun 2017, 06:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP

I would suggest checking the belt going to the A/C compressor. Also compressor might be locking up.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Jun 2017 at 06:49 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 08:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like the two speed ( Non Turbo) Radiator /AC Cooling fan is not working. Since the AC works at highway speed the air keeps the pressure in the AC system within operating specs.
But when your speed drops or slow to below about 35 mph pressure builds up in the AC pump because fan not working, or cooling the freon to enable the pump to turn it back into a liquid hence the drag on the cars idle.

Replace the Cooling fan can be done in under 2 hours with a minimum of tools and band aids. All for about $100.

Keep an eye on the coolant temp gauge, DON'T over heat the engine. A tow job is cheaper than pulling the head to replace the head gasket
rsrocket1 likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 22 Jun 2017, 08:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When you turn the A/C on with the car at operating temperature, lift the hood and feel if the radiator fan is working. You can feel the hot air blowing if you put your hand above the engine just behind the grille. You can also put your hand IN FRONT of the A/C cooler and feel air being drawn in. Don't put your hand anywhere near the fan blades because even if they aren't moving, the fan can turn on at any time.

If your car is in the same state as before and the fan doesn't come on when you switch the A/C on, the radiator fan may need to be replaced, the plugs checked, or the fan relays checked.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 22 Jun 2017 at 08:32 pm. Reason: Joe beat me to the punch
Old 22 Jun 2017, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When the AC is on, the radiator fan comes on the high speed mode as it should. I haven't tested the AC out too much while driving since the issue. Only in a parking lot at around 10 MPH for like a minute. I'll try to check the things you guys suggested and post back.

Tags
please help, problem