PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Safelite windshield install crooked

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2017, 04:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Safelite windshield install crooked

Hello, I recently had a windshield replaced on my 2001 Chrysler pt cruiser on 6/24/2017. I am just starting to noticed how crooked the new windshield install was. The whole windshield seems to be installed about 1/4 inch to high and 1/4 inch over to the drivers side too much. The only problem with the install that I am concerned about is the weather stripping at the bottom of the windshield. The weather stripping at the bottom of the windshield prevents water from entering up behind the windshield wiper cowl cover. Here are some pictures to show how the windshield is crooked. If i were to go back to safelite and address my concern for the crooked install, I just don't have any proof that the windshield is crooked vs a factory install. I was wondering if there were any fellow pt cruiserers who could provide some similar pictures of factory installed windshields that i have proof of how the windshield should fit on the pt cruiser. Thank you if you can provide some pics!!

After further inspection i realize that water is going to get in under the windshield wipers cowl no matter what. This is just the design of the pt cruiser. My thing is that the function of the bottom windsheild weather stripping is no longer there because of the faulty installation job. I think it should be corrected and installed right.. I'm just asking for the comparison pictures of my current new windshield install vs some factory windshield installs of pt cruisers. I do have a 30 day warranty on the windshield due to workmanship. Thank you!!

20170625_193059.jpg

20170625_193116.jpg

20170625_193204.jpg
The two pictures below this line are the top of the windshield weather stripping pulled back to show the wear edge of the old weather stripping
20170625_194224.jpg

20170625_194524.jpg

20170625_193755.jpg

20170625_193631.jpg

20170625_193154.jpg

Last edited by Christopher561; 26 Jun 2017 at 05:26 am.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 07:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Safelite windshield install crooked

Make them come redo it. Specifically ask for a different technician. I went through this with my mustang. I could actually feel a breeze coming in and i could hear increased wind noise. I didn't need any proof. Tell them its crooked and it leaks.

Last edited by rob302; 26 Jun 2017 at 07:13 am.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Make them come redo it. Specifically ask for a different technician. I went through this with my mustang. I could actually feel a breeze coming in and i could hear increased wind noise. I didn't need any proof. Tell them its crooked and it leaks.
YEP I did the same thing with Safeco it was not so much crooked but it leaked like Rob Said sounded like a window was open I called the scheduled just like a repair in fact I thought they came and actually replaced the one in there but I don't really know that
rob302 likes this.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 08:46 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I'm very satisfied with SOOO BIG's new Safelite windshield installation. It's positioned as was the factory windshield. See photos for reference. They also upgraded me to the neat shaded area on the top edge of the windshield at no extra cost. As Rob suggested request e re-do and ask for another technician to do a proper re-install or replacement. They should stand behind it. If for no other reason, the re-do will insure you won't come back later with leak damage they'll be responsible for. Considering that, it's a matter of economics. Good luck.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1742 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1743 (640x480).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 26 Jun 2017 at 08:53 am.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 08:47 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher561 View Post
This difference from how the new windshield is installed left to right will also be most noticeable inside the vehicle. Look from inside your PT at the black border around the windshield and the A pillar trim on both sides. Most likely there will be a lot of the black border showing on one side, and very little on the other side.

When I had my windshield replaced a couple of years ago (not by Safelite but at another company), when they returned the vehicle to me and I got in, I noticed a problem that it was not centered. I immediately told them about the issue and the adhesive was still tacky enough that the tech was able to reposition the windshield. All has been good.

You just need to have them redo their work.

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Jun 2017 at 08:51 am.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I see that the windshield is a tad high on the passenger side. Far as the cow area, water get into it all the time. Notice the vented portion of the plastic covers. But it does appear a little high.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Jun 2017, 12:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I Went to safelite after work. Some guy took a look at it and said. "Yes its crooked and was installed wrong". So he did point out that the passenger side was installed to High. So they are going to redo it!... im just going to drive the car to the shop and wait for it to be done. Id rather be at the shop and have them redo it vs somone coming to my house again. And plus there would be manager there to make sure all goes well. Thanks guys! Il keep you posted after its all fixed
Old 26 Jun 2017, 12:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher561 View Post
I Went to safelite after work. Some guy took a look at it and said. "Yes its crooked and was installed wrong". So he did point out that the passenger side was installed to High. So they are going to redo it!... im just going to drive the car to the shop and wait for it to be done. Id rather be at the shop and have them redo it vs somone coming to my house again. And plus there would be manager there to make sure all goes well. Thanks guys! Il keep you posted after its all fixed
I would rather have it done in a shop too, more much controlled environment and no need for the tech to rush to the next job.

The only thing I ever had done in a parking lot was a windshield chip fixed on another vehicle I owned. That was no big deal and worked out fine. They should get you taken care of.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I just had the windshield replaced in my 200 a couple of weeks ago. I STARTED to call Safelite, but the frigging line was busy and I got sent to voice mail! I called another company, they came out and did the replacement and did an excellent job. Plus, they sent me a check for $100. Here in FL, as long as you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle, you don't have to pay for it, the insurance company does. So, I got a new windshield and $100. Went towards the dogs vet bill! If anyone around FL needs a windshield, I can give you a # and a reference # and not only will they send you $100, but they'll send me another $100 too! Company is called SameDay windshields. Dude named Guillermo hooked me up in under an hour. He's been doing this for 19 years now.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I would rather have it done in a shop too, more much controlled environment and no need for the tech to rush to the next job.

The only thing I ever had done in a parking lot was a windshield chip fixed on another vehicle I owned. That was no big deal and worked out fine. They should get you taken care of.
if the shop is close that's ok but where I live everything is really like 100 miles away ( trip both ways) I have had so many windshields done in my work parking lot its hard to count in fact just today there are 2 different company's doing wind shields out there
I think it all depends on the tec if he cares and is good it will be find if its just a pay check well there is that
rckstein likes this.