PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 Pt Cruiser Crank but no start

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2017, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 Pt Cruiser Crank but no start

Hi all I was around last year trying to fix my Pt but no success. Last year it just decided not to start one day and I tried everything to get it to work. 01 Pt 5Spd with 110k.

-2 different new crank sensors
-2 different new cam sensors
-Brand new pcm programmed to the car
-New fuel pump(entire unit)
-Spark test resulted in good strong spark
-Fuel pressure is good
-Pulled cam sensor and cams are turning
-Only code is a 1684 which makes sense because it sat for a year and had to.be jumped to crank.
-Shot of.starting fluid in the intake tube does nothing
-Checked wire harness by passeneger axle and frame as suggested and nothing seems messed up

I'm at a total loss here..I was going to change the timing belt because i figured maybe the tensioner went and jumped time but i really dont want to waste my time doing something that wont change anything..
Any suggestions? Or similar situations?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 09:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Pt Cruiser Crank but no start

I would suggest you do a engine compression on all cylinders. Post the results of each cylinder.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 09:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Pull the top cover over the timing belt. If you tried all of these things and it still doesn't start, you need to make sure the belt hasn't jumped. My belt broke at 110,000 miles. If yours hasn't been changed, it is probably bad.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 26 Jun 2017, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for the advice. I dont know why I didn't think to line up the timing marks and verify belt jumping. I didn't check compression but i did pull the timing cover today and check timing marks. Exhaust cam is a tooth or two off. Also there is belt fiber all inside the cover and chunks are missing from the belt.. So I'm going to do the timing belt, water pump and tensioners next day off i get.. Would only being off by a tooth or so cause it not to start? Or should I be worried about other things.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986b2000 View Post
Thank you all for the advice. I dont know why I didn't think to line up the timing marks and verify belt jumping. I didn't check compression but i did pull the timing cover today and check timing marks. Exhaust cam is a tooth or two off. Also there is belt fiber all inside the cover and chunks are missing from the belt.. So I'm going to do the timing belt, water pump and tensioners next day off i get.. Would only being off by a tooth or so cause it not to start? Or should I be worried about other things.
With 110,000 miles on it you might want to consider checking the valves to see if you need to pull the engine head. Since you were not driving it when the belt failed chances are the only thing you need to be concerned about is if the valves need to be redone or replaced. Has the engine head been removed yet?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No I've never pulled the head. Why would it need to be gone over? I put a reman engine i had sitting in my garage for 15 years into my mazda truck and it ran fine. I think it would be fine sitting a year?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 05:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
No I've never pulled the head. Why would it need to be gone over? I put a reman engine i had sitting in my garage for 15 years into my mazda truck and it ran fine. I think it would be fine sitting a year?
How many miles do you think you can get out of the valves for a Pt Cruiser engine? Some of the members have reported valve problems at an average of 115,000 miles.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dude, it's not just a tooth off. You certainly spent a lot of money you didn't need to, most likely. The belt is stripped most likely and could even be shredded inside the cover if the tensioner locked up. I wouldn't worry too much about the valves as these 2.4's are non-interference engines. Just take your time doing the belt and pull up the info here. Several members have provided excellent how to's along with pictures. Just be sure to start it and see how it runs before you put it all back together. And take a good, close look at the center motor mount while you're in there. This is the prime time to change it as you don't want to do all of this work twice. And that's exactly what you'll have to do if you discover it's broken after you put it all back together. And ounce of prevention...........

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Dude, it's not just a tooth off. You certainly spent a lot of money you didn't need to, most likely. The belt is stripped most likely and could even be shredded inside the cover if the tensioner locked up. I wouldn't worry too much about the valves as these 2.4's are non-interference engines. Just take your time doing the belt and pull up the info here. Several members have provided excellent how to's along with pictures. Just be sure to start it and see how it runs before you put it all back together. And take a good, close look at the center motor mount while you're in there. This is the prime time to change it as you don't want to do all of this work twice. And that's exactly what you'll have to do if you discover it's broken after you put it all back together. And ounce of prevention...........
Good idea!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 08:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Get the (full meal deal) belt kit. Belt, tensioner, idler and water pump. A lot of people will tell you different, the cam and crank seals and the center mount are optional. A good idea, more time and money, but optional. I pulled the valve cover to help line up the cams, so I also replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plus seals. You can do this. It's a time consuming process and a BIG PITA, but you can do this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!