Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stumble or hiccup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2017, 07:18 am
Young Cruiser

Default Stumble or hiccup

Greetings all. I've been busy busy busy in Pittsburgh for Anthrocon. I do have a question for the masses. On the drive here. the car would randomly stumble or hiccup while drving. It took the entire 1500 miles driven to actually see it on the tach as the engine cutting out. This happens for such a brief moment that it almost feels like a road bump, but it is an obvious loss of power for a tenth of a second before going back to driving perfectly normally. Any ideas as to what this may be. I did stop once and checked the relays to the fuel pump and everything seems to be properly seated. It has a 1400 mile drive home that it must do in two days tomorrow. Thanx in advance.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stumble or hiccup

What year is your Pt Cruiser? If you have a 2002 Pt Cruiser it's common on that year that the wire harness from the camshaft sensor to the PCM might have dropped down rubbing on the axle or half shaft and rubbing through the wires shorting the wires out. You would need to get under the Pt Cruiser and see if the wire harness has dropped down.

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?

Does all the gauges drop on the dash go to zero when it cuts out? If so your ignition switch might not be working properly.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Jul 2017 at 01:06 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 02:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Stumble or hiccup

I've spent extensive time underneath the car replacing the lower control arms. No wires were rubbing on any halfshaft that I noticed, but will check it again. Mine is a 2002. The only thing I'm seeing is the revs drop for that brief instant. Another note is that this has been with the cruise control on. I'm not sure if that is making any difference because I seldom if ever drive any appreciable distance without it on as I will end up speeding excessively and handing over additional tax money to whatever agency catches me not realizing my speed has increased. I have not observed any of these cutouts while in traffic and driving with it off.

No check engine light and no codes registering on my Ultragauge.