PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Two weeks later and the positive post growing green crud again! How Come?

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Two weeks later and the positive post growing green crud again! How Come?

Two weeks ago I cleaned and prepare everything on the battery including wire brushing the posts and the recommended "Battery Cleaner" until it read, no acid! I put new "washers" under the terminals, installing new copper cable ends on all the positive and negative cables, used new high quality Zink terminals and finally sprayed a generous coating of "Red Battery Terminal Protector" on the whole shebang. Two week later I did a check on it only to find the GREEN CRUD has returned on the positive terminal.

How come. I thought I'd really done my home work on this and admit I'm at a loss to determine why the GREEN CRUD is back adorning the underside of my new positive terminal.

All suggestion gratefully accepted.

SOOO BIG wants the GREEN CRUD gone and so do I!
Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1751 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1639 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1632 (640x480).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 03 Jul 2017 at 01:17 pm.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:32 pm
Banned

Default Re: Two weeks later and the positive post growing green crud again! How Come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Two weeks ago I cleaned and prepare everything on the battery including wire brushing the posts and the recommended "Battery Cleaner" until it read, no acid! I put new "washers" under the terminals, installing new copper cable ends on all the positive and negative cables, used new high quality Zink terminals and finally spraying a generous coating of "Red Battery Terminal Protector" on the whole shebang. Two week later I did a check on it only to find the GREEN CRUD has returned on the positive terminal.

How come. I thought I'd really done my home work on this and admit I'm at a loss to determine why the GREEN CRUD is back adorning the underside of my new positive terminal.

All suggestion gratefully accepted.

SOOO BIG wants the GREEN CRUD gone and so do I!
Happy PTin', ptprice

Attachment 23226

Attachment 23227

Attachment 23228
What brand of battery is it and how old is it?

I had the same issue with 2 Interstate batteries that I had. Went with a different brand and no problems since. I suspect that the case around the post was leaking causing the issues, but Interstate refused to replace it under warranty and I had to buy a new one after the first one caused the problem. But when it happened again, that was it and no more Interstate batteries for me.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Two weeks later and the positive post growing green crud again! How Come?

From a search: Why does positive battery terminal corroded?
Corrosion on the terminals is due to hydrogen gas being released from the acid in the battery. ... Generally, if the corrosion is occurring on the negative terminal, your system is probably undercharging. If on the positive side, it is probably overcharging.

https://community.cartalk.com/t/blue...-battery/73006

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...inal-corrosion
ptprice likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

My suggestion, as stated in your last post, is to upgrade that battery. The type you have with the vents in a caps is going to cause this problem. The AC Delco battery has a venting system that will not cause this, or go to a gell cell like the Optima.

The little washers and protectant spray will only slow the process.
ptprice likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:39 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
My suggestion, as stated in your last post, is to upgrade that battery. The type you have with the vents in a caps is going to cause this problem. The AC Delco battery has a venting system that will not cause this, or go to a gell cell like the Optima.

The little washers and protectant spray will only slow the process.
I think we've been through this before, haven't we, the Optima won't fit the standard battery tray will it without doing some modification?
ptprice likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

It fit in my '01 with no mods. I think Handy put one in his turbo vert.

ptprice likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Last edited by VsandFords; 03 Jul 2017 at 12:53 pm.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 01:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
It fit in my '01 with no mods. I think Handy put one in his turbo vert.

I think it was that the battery trays are different sizes in the Gen1 and Gen2, and I think Todd may have modified his. But if the Optima will fit, ptprice has a Gen1, so he should be good to switch.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Remove the little cheesy Gen 2 battery tray and the Optima will fit. It will likely fit in a 1st Gen PT as is.

Here's what I would do if I had the problem PTPrice has.

First, I'd check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine around 2,000 rpm. It should be somewhere around 14 volts. Mine runs 13.75. If it reads more than 14.5 volts, I'd know my alternator was overcharging. And that will cause copious amount of acid gas to be released.

If the voltage is good, I'd check to make sure the battery can vent the way it's supposed to. I'd make sure the vent holes in the caps or wherever are not stopped up.

If all was good, I'd remove the battery from the car and clean it with diet Coke and then soap and water. I'd clean the battery posts really well. Then wipe the top of the battery and posts down with paint thinner. Then I'd coat the top of the battery including the posts with a thick coat of clear spray paint. I'd make sure not to let the caps get sealed and I'd again make sure the vent holes are open. Once completely dry, I'd then clean the post with a wire brush or post cleaning tool to remove the clear paint just from the parts of the posts where the battery clamps will fit.

Then after thoroughly cleaning the clamps, I'd reinstalle the the battery using the felt anti-corrosion washers. The point of this is to help seal the top of the battery surrounding the posts. It may or may not work. But it is fast and it costs very little try. And I'm all about trying the cheap and easy things first.

PS: If it this didn't work, I'd likely just go buy an Optima battery because they last a long time, are fairly worry-free, and come in really cool red and yellow colors that look very pretty and that will make my PT go faster!.

PPS: The best deal I found on an Optima is to buy it online from Advance Auto for in-store pickup. With the $50 off discount code. The OPTIMA Batteries RedTop Starting Battery, Group Size 34/78 is $223.99 with core exchange. Using code SCW277 you can get $50 off that for a total of $173.99 plus local sales tax.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Jul 2017 at 02:24 pm.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 03:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

And if you don't mind waiting a bit you can order an Optima Group 34 with no exchange free shipping delivered for $165.99

Optima Group 34

ptprice likes this.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 03 Jul 2017, 04:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Remove the little cheesy Gen 2 battery tray and the Optima will fit. It will likely fit in a 1st Gen PT as is.

Do you just have your battery sitting direct on the support bracket? How do you have it secured?

VsandFords has his Optima battery in his Gen1 and I assume it's in the battery tray. Since you have had both a Gen1 and a Gen2, is it possible to take a battery tray from a Gen1 and mount it to the bracket in a Gen2? I've already checked and the part numbers are different. The holes may just be in different locations in the trays, but if you have the tray, you could transfer the hole locations to the other tray and then mount the tray onto the bracket.