• 1 Post By Ptcroozer
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By VsandFords
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2017, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New member Question

Thank you for adding me to the group. I just purchased my first pt and I'm looking to order tune up parts etc.
While searching online I am looking at the ignition coil pack and some listings have it advertised as the same part number as the turbo other do not. I don't have a turbo however some listing them as the same others are not so I'm just wondering if there is any difference? Thanks in advance.
Old 04 Jul 2017, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: New member Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcroozer View Post
Thank you for adding me to the group. I just purchased my first pt and I'm looking to order tune up parts etc.
While searching online I am looking at the ignition coil pack and some listings have it advertised as the same part number as the turbo other do not. I don't have a turbo however some listing them as the same others are not so I'm just wondering if there is any difference? Thanks in advance.
Sorry forgot to mention it's a 2002... 2.4 non turbo... auto.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 04 Jul 2017, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is no turbo for 2002, so the ignition coil for the 2002 model will fit. In general, this type of OEM Mopar coil rarely goes bad. Most folks don't change these as part of general maintenance. What does often go bad are the original plug wires.

Here's a list of things to look for on your PT:

#1 is the timing belt. These often fail over 100,000. If near or past that mileage and it's never been changed, you could be driving on borrowed time.

And here's the rest:

Headlight assemblies (old ones get foggy)
Tail light assemblies (old ones get cracked and retain water)
Front and rear wheel bearings (they at least need looking at over 100k)
Front lower control arms (rear bushings go bad. If yours aren't now they've likely been replaced at least once)
Windshield washer nozzles. (They get crispy either from heat or chemicals in the washer fluid.)
Radiator fan (it will eventually fail. This kills more PT's than anything else.)
Cam Sensor (it will eventually fail. Buy Mopar, this is one of the few times I will ever say that.)
Muli-function switch. (one day your fog lights will just come on and stay on. Look to see if the fog light fuse has already been pulled)
Valve cover gasket (look for oil in the spark plug wells)
Worn leading arm bushings in the back. (car will squeak going over bumps)
PCM memory failure (causes check engine light, this is particularly common on 2001/2002 models)
Gauge cluster bulbs. (do they all burn?)
Cracked dash and center bezel (common in 2001/2002 PT's with taupe colored interiors)
Broken plastic arms on sunroof. (put in vent position and check on the arms that lift the glass part to vent. When these fail so does the entire sun roof)
Original spark plug wires (if still there, they likely need to be changed)
Original spark plugs (just as part of general maintenance)
Corrosion under the battery tray. (can get all rusty and stuff)
Weak drive belt tensioner. (causes belts to squeal right after first start up and in rain)
Missing splash guard on right side under engine. (often gets broken and left off during maintenance. )
Broken vanity mirrors and/or lights.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Jul 2017 at 02:55 pm.
Old 04 Jul 2017, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
There is no turbo for 2002, so the ignition coil for the 2002 model will fit. In general, this type of OEM Mopar coil rarely goes bad. Most folks don't change these as part of general maintenance. What does often go bad are the original plug wires.

Here's a list of things to look for on your PT:

#1 is the timing belt. These often fail over 100,000. If near or past that mileage and it's never been changed, you could be driving on borrowed time.

And here's the rest:

Headlight assemblies (old ones get foggy)
Tail light assemblies (old ones get cracked and retain water)
Front and rear wheel bearings (they at least need looking at over 100k)
Front lower control arms (rear bushings go bad. If yours aren't now they've likely been replaced at least once)
Windshield washer nozzles. (They get crispy either from heat or chemicals in the washer fluid.)
Radiator fan (it will eventually fail. This kills more PT's than anything else.)
Cam Sensor (it will eventually fail. Buy Mopar, this is one of the few times I will ever say that.)
Muli-function switch. (one day your fog lights will just come on and stay on. Look to see if the fog light fuse has already been pulled)
Valve cover gasket (look for oil in the spark plug wells)
Worn leading arm bushings in the back. (car will squeak going over bumps)
PCM memory failure (causes check engine light, this is particularly common on 2001/2002 models)
Gauge cluster bulbs. (do they all burn?)
Cracked dash and center bezel (common in 2001/2002 PT's with taupe colored interiors)
Broken plastic arms on sunroof. (put in vent position and check on the arms that lift the glass part to vent. When these fail so does the entire sun roof)
Original spark plug wires (if still there, they likely need to be changed)
Original spark plugs (just as part of general maintenance)
Corrosion under the battery tray. (can get all rusty and stuff)
Weak drive belt tensioner. (causes belts to squeal right after first start up and in rain)
Missing splash guard on right side under engine. (often gets broken and left off during maintenance. )
Broken vanity mirrors and/or lights.
SWEET THANKS THANKS THANKS! This sort of check list is exactly what I was looking for. I'm sitting at 69k miles currently... everything works on the car... all power accessories... and lights etc. 2nd gear bump shifts up and down some times when cold but nit when your gentle on the pedal. Looking at the fixes for 41te trans now hopefully I can address all this stuff myself. I'm just a back yard do it yourselfer and only work on my own stuff but I've never been afraid of a new challenge! Rockers were just done came with government safety and I bought the car for only $1750 engine is smooth thought I couldn't go wrong buying it. The trans is the only issue I've been able to find so far.
Was told by the previous owner the front "hockey puck bushings" were just changed is that the bushings you are referring to?
I was just confused because they coil listing was also for the 03-05 neon srt4 as well as turbo and non pt cruiser so thought the turbo coil may be the same as mine. Then when I emailed one seller he said notnthey don't fit while others will have them listing as being the same. lol

Last edited by Ptcroozer; 04 Jul 2017 at 03:11 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 07:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about the coil. I put a non turbo coil on my turbo and it didn't make any difference in the way it runs. I just got back from a little drive in it and ran it from zero to 80 in just a few seconds.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 08:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.
Ptcroozer likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 05 Jul 2017, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Welcome to the forum and don't worry about the coil. I put a non turbo coil on my turbo and it didn't make any difference in the way it runs. I just got back from a little drive in it and ran it from zero to 80 in just a few seconds.
Thanks that's very helpful!
Old 05 Jul 2017, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.
Ptcroozer likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN