Advertisements
How to fit an Optima 34R Red Top AGM Battery in a Gen one PT Cruiser

Like Tree74Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2017, 09:18 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default How to fit an Optima 34R Red Top AGM Battery in a Gen one PT Cruiser

As the thread title suggests I figured out, with the help and input of those famous PT Cruiser sages, "how to fit an Optima 34R Red Top AGM battery in SOOO BIG". A 2005 first generation PT Cruiser. I hope once and for all this'll solve the GREEN CRUD corrosion on the positive post and terminal.

I first took the battery tray completely out of SOOO BIG and snagged a ride to AutoZone where I made some fit comparisons and found out the above Optima battery is a "perfect fit" in the first generation PT Cruiser battery tray. Width, length and height are ideal! Optima should know about this good fit and list it in their applications.There's no tolerance in the fit, side to side or front to back. The front of the tray had a retaining lip for hold down when the battery is rotated into the tray. The battery has the proper base configuration to take advantage of this.The side to side fit of battery to tray is so precise as to allow no shifting. The rear adjustable hold down, set to USA, is put to full use as a means of keeping the battery tight and in place in the tray. The configuration of the positioning of the posts Is in exactly the same place as the original battery and the additional size of the Optima Battery is in no way a deterrent but an asset in this installation. I've put some photos on this post to give you a peek at the project. The Optima battery comes with a removable hand carry strap and a cover that can be used underneath as a riser in certain installations. It also also has some generic hold down devices that make the battery a very universal battery.

I couldn't resist putting in the photo of the Optima 34R Red Top Battery peeking out from underneath SOOO BIG's stock air cleaner assembly.

I hope someone more learned in this latest battery technology, "AGM" which stands for "ABSORBED GLASS MAT" can add more insight into the advantages and how this new type battery works.

Happy PTin', ptprice
IMG_1754 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1755 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1758 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1762 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1763 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1764 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1752 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1765 (640x480).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 05 Jul 2017 at 02:14 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 09:44 am
Banned

Default Re: How to fit an Optima 34R Red Top AGM Battery in a Gen one PT Cruiser

The Gen1 battery tray certainly looks very much like the Gen2, but the dimensions could be slightly different as I've already looked up the info and both trays have completely different part numbers.

One would think that since the Optima will fit the Gen1's that Optima would have tested their batteries for fit and function and added their battery to the Gen1 application charts as it could certainly open up their products to more vehicles, which could in turn sell more of their batteries.

I'm off to the salvage yards tomorrow to try and find a Gen1 battery tray and compare to a Gen2. If I can mount a Gen1 tray into my Gen2, when my present battery eventually needs replacing, I will certainly consider the Optima.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 01:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: How to fit an Optima 34R Red Top AGM Battery in a Gen one PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
The Gen1 battery tray certainly looks very much like the Gen2, but the dimensions could be slightly different as I've already looked up the info and both trays have completely different part numbers.

One would think that since the Optima will fit the Gen1's that Optima would have tested their batteries for fit and function and added their battery to the Gen1 application charts as it could certainly open up their products to more vehicles, which could in turn sell more of their batteries.

I'm off to the salvage yards tomorrow to try and find a Gen1 battery tray and compare to a Gen2. If I can mount a Gen1 tray into my Gen2, when my present battery eventually needs replacing, I will certainly consider the Optima.
Good luck in your salvage yard search. Mind the heat. We've been running in the high 80's and low 90's down here. I don't think it's "'global warming" though, I think it's summer in Florida! To find the actual fit took that visual fitting to prove to me that the battery nestled into the early PT Cruiser battery tray. I pulled a big yahoo when I discovered it. I called up the Optima organization a few minutes ago and as is the criteria of a lot of companies now a days, could only leave a message about the discovery of this fabulous fit that has gone unlisted. That number is 1-800-292-4359. Maybe a few of us proving the viability of this installation and use and calling them will help in getting the early PT on their applications list.

Happy PTin ptprice
Carnut likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 02:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

INFORMATION ON "AGM" TYPE BATTERYS I found a bit of information on the "AGM" type battery. See attached. I had to reduce it to 70% to get it all on one page. I hope it's readable.

As I just put a 34R Red Top Optima AGM battery in SOOO BIG, I'm interested in any PTer who's had experience with his type battery, or any comments or opinions of the "AGM" ABSORBED GLASS MAT battery.

Thanks,,,,, Happy PTin', ptprice

AGM info 001.jpg
Old 05 Jul 2017, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You know ID just relocate that bad boy to the rear and not worry about it any more of course it will take room away in the back and you will have to run some really long leads did I mention HEAVE guage Leads but then it would be where it should be anyway Jusdt saying
Old 05 Jul 2017, 04:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
You know ID just relocate that bad boy to the rear and not worry about it any more of course it will take room away in the back and you will have to run some really long leads did I mention HEAVE gauge Leads but then it would be where it should be anyway Jusdt saying
In the late 60's I ran a 41 Ford Coupe with an early Chevy V8 in D Gas on a quarter mile track south of Hazleton, Pa. We called it the Animal Farm as the run off, if not properly negotiated, would end you plowing through a pig wallow. Not a pretty sight!

But I digress. I'd gutted the car for weight. Everything went, seats, door and quarter glass, bumpers, panels and located as much weight in the back for weight distribution and traction including the battery which was a 12 volt tar top tapped to 6 volts in the center cell to power the on board 6 volt 41 electrics and 12 volt for the Chevy engine. The cables running forward were of aircraft quality for less resistance. Purloined by a friend who was a line mechanic for one of the major airlines back then. The first set of standard cables I tried, heated up and presented too much resistance from the length. That weight reduction and weight distribution really made a difference in times and a difference in the hole shot and getting launched. When done for the day, usually with a trophy, I'd go to the pile I'd stripped off, my friends and I would bolt it all back on and drive the family home.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PD_0007 (640x440).jpg (29.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg PD_0357 (640x438).jpg (24.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by ptprice; 06 Jul 2017 at 03:36 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 06:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi there, Auto Student here.

AGM batteries:
Spill proof so you can mount at any angle, sideways, upside down, anyways. (old corvette had one mounted sideways in a fender to fit where a normal battery couldn't)

Deep cycle safe, so you can fall asleep to the radio and wake up and the battery won't suffer reduced life, It will still be dead, but you don't shave off a month of total battery life by draining it.

Also has the benefit of reduced weight, which means less to move, which means, faster car. Who doesn't like to go faster?

Vibration resistant, So that drift into the rumble strip doesn't splash acid inside your car.

Overall, just a better battery. Kinda like conventional vs synthetic oil. Take a technology that wasn't really meant for automotive, then reinvent it in a way that works better than before for automotive.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 06 Jul 2017, 05:34 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
Hi there, Auto Student here.

AGM batteries:
Spill proof so you can mount at any angle, sideways, upside down, anyways. (old corvette had one mounted sideways in a fender to fit where a normal battery couldn't)

Deep cycle safe, so you can fall asleep to the radio and wake up and the battery won't suffer reduced life, It will still be dead, but you don't shave off a month of total battery life by draining it.

Also has the benefit of reduced weight, which means less to move, which means, faster car. Who doesn't like to go faster?

Vibration resistant, So that drift into the rumble strip doesn't splash acid inside your car.

Overall, just a better battery. Kinda like conventional vs synthetic oil. Take a technology that wasn't really meant for automotive, then reinvent it in a way that works better than before for automotive.
Awesome, good to know, thanks . Happy PTin', ptprice
Old 06 Jul 2017, 10:15 am
Banned

Well my trip to the salvage yards today yielded info that the battery trays on the '02-'08 are all the same part number 04671780AC, so based on this there should be no reason that the Optima shouldn't mount in the Gen2 battery tray as pt price and VsandFords have already mounted it in their PT's and they both have a Gen1. Handy_Cruiser has his Optima sitting in his Gen2 'vert, but not in a tray, but he should be able to mount the stock tray and bolt down the battery.

I had already gotten a battery tray out of a Gen1 before finding a Gen2 in the yard with the exact same part number tray, however, the hold down clamp is just a little bit different on the Gen1 and Gen2. But this afternoon I'm going to take the tray, and both hold down clamps, by an auto parts store and hopefully they will have an Optima battery in stock that I can confirm that it will fit.

Last edited by rckstein; 06 Jul 2017 at 10:48 am.
Old 06 Jul 2017, 10:30 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Well my trip to the salvage yards today yielded info that the battery trays on the '02-'08 are all the same part number 04671780AC, so based on this there should be no reason that the Optima shouldn't mount in the Gen2 battery tray as pt price and VsandFords have already mounted it in their PT's and they both have a Gen1.

I had already gotten a battery tray out of a Gen1 before finding a Gen2 in the yard with the exact same part number tray, however, the hold down clamp is just a little bit different on the Gen1 and Gen2. But this afternoon I'm going to take the tray, and both hold down clamps, by an auto parts store and hopefully they will have an Optima battery in stock that I can confirm that it will fit.

I think your on the right track. Good luck. Happy PTin', ptprice
rckstein likes this.
Closed Thread