PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How can I remove the grey carpet finish on the rear shelf panel?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2017, 09:10 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default How can I remove the grey carpet finish on the rear shelf panel?

I really like the clean look of the underside of the rear shelf panel in it's original black plastic finish. I'm guessing, right underneath that aged grey "carpet" coating on the top side lies a pristine black plastic finish.

Has anyone ever successfully removed this grey carpet coat without compromising the black plastic finish?

Is there a dedicated compound to remove the grey "carpet" coat without attacking the black plastic finish?

Although SOOO BIG's rear shelf panel still looks good, I know that over the years the grey "carpet" coating can get a bit long in the tooth and I figured this might be a good way to spruce up the rear shelf panel.

Please advise. Thanks. Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1766 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1767 (480x640).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 06 Jul 2017, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How can I remove the grey carpet finish on the rear shelf panel?

Use it as a template and cut a piece of wood to cover it.

ptprice likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2017, 10:18 am
Banned

Another member had a very nice wood shelf that they were trying to get rid of, luckily somebody got it before it was trashed, it would have been a shame to see it just get thrown out.

Wood Shelf
Old 06 Jul 2017, 10:27 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Use it as a template and cut a piece of wood to cover it.

As I mentioned, I'm just trying to remove the grey carpet finish and expose the original black plastic the rear shelf panel in made of without destroying it. Thanks, but a wooden finish isn't my intention. Happy PTin', ptprice
rob302 likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 06 Jul 2017, 11:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

if you can wait until sunday, i will see if i can rip the carpet off my shelf, and show you how it looks afterwards. let me know if you would like me to do this or not.
ptprice likes this.
Old 06 Jul 2017, 11:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

There is a post on the forum somewhere about a member trying to do this....
it did not turn out well.
rob302 likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 06 Jul 2017, 11:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

this thread?

Rear Shelf Question

the links on crewzins post on that thread no longer work, but they are just wood shelves.. https://web.archive.org/web/20040830...aske/NYKruiser

Last edited by rob302; 06 Jul 2017 at 11:22 am.
Old 06 Jul 2017, 11:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

All I can say...what a mess!! Removing the carpet is easy. Removing the adhesive...that's another story. IMO you will not be able to leave the shelf uncover. The adhesive in the one I did just does to much permanent scaring to the plastic. In my case I painted it with trunk paint and then just recovered it. I was modifying one for a removable stereo amp shelf.

No pictures...

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Jul 2017, 12:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
this thread?

Rear Shelf Question

the links on crewzins post on that thread no longer work, but they are just wood shelves.. https://web.archive.org/web/20040830...aske/NYKruiser

Pretty Blue Woody had already explained in that OLD THREAD about how that person wasn't making any more wood shelves....

Unfortunately this guy seems to have stopped making these shelves several years ago, due to poor health --- I tried to order one back around 2005; at that point, he was just selling off the few shelves he still had on hand, and wasn't expecting to make more. Too bad: they sure are gorgeous!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2017, 04:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
If you can wait until Sunday, I will see if I can rip the carpet off my shelf, and show you how it looks afterwards. let me know if you would like me to do this or not.
Wowzer, your a gentleman and a scholar. I'd really appreciate having your expertise to address this before I go ahead and screw mine up. I'm not all that sure it's is a carpet material on the surface although I've been told by an upholster, in some of Chrysler's applications a product called flex carpet was used. It might be some kind of highfalutin stuff just sprayed on to look like carpet. If anyone can figure it out Rob, you can.

This would be a good solution for sprucing up some of those long in the tooth rear shelf panels if the remaining exposed black plastic, after the carpet stuff is removed, is pristine. It might create a cottage industry!

Thanks, I'll wait on you advise.

Happy PTin, ptprice
rob302 likes this.